• 3 Post By Warren Nethercote
  • 2 Post By Warren Nethercote
  • 1 Post By Warren Nethercote
  • 1 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By ferg Z71

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Tailgate gap protector

I an earlier post I bleated about gravel and stuff getting jammed in the tailgate gap when I carried bulk materials (gravel, beach stone, etc). Several members suggested various glue-on solutions to the problem, although these prevented tailgate removal should that need arise.
I recently found a product available through the Home Depot US website (but not the Canadian site) and took advantage of a trip to the US to have a friend order it for me. As the photo shows, the product is a rubber extrusion that locks into the gap after being trimmed to fit, but is removable if needed (but not without a bit of a struggle). It looks like it will work and I have a gravel run planned later in the week so I will find out.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/CorBox-60in-Truck-Tailgate-Gap-Protector-sold-in-2-30-pieces-TYGGSBK01/205898020
And it only costs 39 bucks (US).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tailgate gap protector.jpg (252.1 KB, 171 views)
Toughsox, JBT and BumbleZ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Nethercote View Post
I an earlier post I bleated about gravel and stuff getting jammed in the tailgate gap when I carried bulk materials (gravel, beach stone, etc). Several members suggested various glue-on solutions to the problem, although these prevented tailgate removal should that need arise.
I recently found a product available through the Home Depot US website (but not the Canadian site) and took advantage of a trip to the US to have a friend order it for me. As the photo shows, the product is a rubber extrusion that locks into the gap after being trimmed to fit, but is removable if needed (but not without a bit of a struggle). It looks like it will work and I have a gravel run planned later in the week so I will find out.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/CorBox-60in-Truck-Tailgate-Gap-Protector-sold-in-2-30-pieces-TYGGSBK01/205898020
And it only costs 39 bucks (US).
How well does it fold when you close the tailgate? Looks good, and I might decide to spring for it.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

The fold increases the force required to latch the tailgate but it closes properly. wait 'til I do a gravel run and can report on that ....

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I did a quarry run today for some class A gravel (a range of sizes from fines up to about 3/4 inch) and started some pothole filling. The acid test came half-way through the process: I use about half the gravel and let the potholes compact for a day before the second application. Would the tailgate go up again without jamming on gravel between first and second applications? Yes, it did go up and latch. There is a little bit of 'leakage' around the ends of the protector (no surprise) but nothing that caused the tailgate to jam as it did without the protector. Thirty-nine bucks well spent it would seem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unloading w Gap Protector.jpg (419.7 KB, 83 views)
RandyNC and GANCanyon like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I did a quarry run today for some class A gravel (a range of sizes from fines up to about 3/4 inch) and started some pothole filling. The acid test came half-way through the process: I use about half the gravel and let the potholes compact for a day before the second application. Would the tailgate go up again without jamming on gravel between first and second applications? Yes, it did go up and latch. There is a little bit of 'leakage' around the ends of the protector (no surprise) but nothing that caused the tailgate to jam as it did without the protector. Thirty-nine bucks well spent it would seem.
Can you get us a couple of pictures? Can be after you empty your truck. One with the tailgate closed, one with the tailgate half closed, or half open, whichever way your cup flows. Can be after you empty, that is not where my concern is. For the half open, you might try the old trick of wrapping the tail gate cable around the latch pin to hold it partially open.

Thanks for the report!

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Garage
For the half open/closed (a matter of perception) what about moving the clip on the end of the cable to the higher post on the bed? Doesn't that still align the top of the tailgate with the top of the wheel wells?

My avatar is a purple ribbon because I am a survivor of Pancreatic Cancer.
2017 Colorado Z71 CCSB Duramax, Bose, Nav, Spray Bed Liner, Wheel Flairs, Trailering Eqpt Pkg, Tonneau Cover.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDiesel View Post
For the half open/closed (a matter of perception) what about moving the clip on the end of the cable to the higher post on the bed? Doesn't that still align the top of the tailgate with the top of the wheel wells?
I was just suggesting a method to make it easy to take the picture, not for any useful position of the tailgate. I am simply interested in how the gap protector flexes through the motion.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDiesel View Post
They did away with that feature.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Here are four more pictures. One shows how I trimmed to protector to fit, with the notch for the camera cable. The other three show the protector with bed open, half-open (I drove about 14,000km this winter that way, carrying my iceboat), and closed. I only installed one side for these pictures so you could see the bend clearly. The fit is a bit ugly at the ends, but you only get one chance when trimming to fit.

But there is no free lunch. The protector worked well to keep gravel out of the gap but when I do the final clean-up I generally just sweep the remnants out of the bed with a stiff broom - but the remnants tend to get swept under the protector. And while the protector is removable, it is not an easy job - although popping one side of the tailgate off its hinge would release the protector's arrow-head-shaped gripper. Still, the protector is better than having the tailgate jam with gravel when 'unprotected' - the tailgate even jams on the way down because the 'user friendly' gate lowering damper slows down the drop enough that the gravel will pack the gap before the gate gets all the way down.

I suppose the ultimate solution is to leave the gap open but remount the bumper with a larger gap to the bodywork so the gravel will fall all the way through - but the bumper is installed on fixed, orthogonally-oriented mounts, so there is no adjustment. Grrrrr. My two earlier trucks, an Isuzu and a Dakota, both had wider bumper to body-work gaps so gravel falling into the tailgate gap just fell right through, instead of being trapped there on the Colorado.

So, I am a little bit disappointed, but don't regret the $39US (or even the $53 for us Canucks).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Protector trimmed to fit.jpg (308.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Protector TG Open.jpg (288.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Protector TG half open.jpg (339.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Protector tailgate closed.jpg (394.4 KB, 61 views)
RandyNC likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 AM

@Warren Nethercote,

Pictures are perfect, just what I was looking for, with a little more detail as well from the extra pictures.

I think you are right, I want to say I am use to a larger gap below the tailgate to allow things to fall through and not get caught in the gap as easily.

It has been a few years since i owned a truck (traded my 1995 C1500 in 2001), but I almost want to go poke around some old trucks and see how they used to fit. The tailgate gaps along the sides seem larger, the gaps at the bottom seem smaller than I remember.

Thanks!
IceDiesel likes this.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Garage
My stepdad used to throw a heavy duty tarp in the bed whenever we were getting a load of gravel or soil. Worked flawlessly at keeping it from getting into the gap. Also made it easier to pull the gravel to the tailgate once the load gets light enough
CaryBosse likes this.

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 AM

I've got a Bed Rug, does an exceptional job with this problem.

'17 Crew V6, Build log of sound system / Build log of rest of truck modifications
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I suppose the ultimate solution is to leave the gap open but remount the bumper with a larger gap to the bodywork so the gravel will fall all the way through
I went with an adhesive backed gap filler. It was a bit tricky to install due to the contours of the bed and the factory spray-in liner, but it worked. I did have a one inch section pop up and I'm having a heck of a time finding an adhesive that will hold it down, but it works great otherwise.

http://a.co/7do4CI6

2015 Colorado Ext. Cab Z71 4X4 (4/15 build date):
Bose, nav., sliding rear window, factory spray-in bed liner, fender guards, Rallyarmor UR mudflaps, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, door sill protectors, BNR tune.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:32 PM

The aggravating thing is that with another 15 minutes of 'real world' design discussion GM could have avoided this whole problem. I agree w/ the other posters commenting about older model trucks having enough gap below the tailgate that it could just fall through when you began the lift to close the tailgate. It was never perfect in any truck, but the twins are particularly bad in this area.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:41 PM

I was actually just kicking around the idea of getting a large enough tarp to cover things for the occasional time that I need to haul dirt/mulch. Looks like you can get 8mil or 10mil tarps in large sizes (12' x 16') which will cover the full interior of the bed and allow for a cover on the load for road travel as well. $25 on Amazon. Then when you drop the tailgate, that tarp is going to fully cover the gap. It wouldn't be that great for routine use because I doubt it will hold up, but for occasional haulers it may be good enough.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:37 PM

i wonder if the front edge of the gap protector will slip under the rear edge of my drop in bed liner so dirt/gravel would just glide over the edge then instead of getting stuck under the gap protector ?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
I was actually just kicking around the idea of getting a large enough tarp to cover things for the occasional time that I need to haul dirt/mulch.
I do that for dirt and gravel, since those two things seem to be a pain to clean up when you've unloaded most of it. Works great. The tarps don't hold up to metal shovels, but I just patch the holes with duct tape. The only mistake I made was with a load of dirt. I had the tarp hanging over the sides of the truck and was unloading a shovel full of dirt at a time while standing next to the truck. The tarp left fine scratches in the paint. But it's a truck... it's gonna get scratched.

2015 Colorado Ext. Cab Z71 4X4 (4/15 build date):
Bose, nav., sliding rear window, factory spray-in bed liner, fender guards, Rallyarmor UR mudflaps, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, door sill protectors, BNR tune.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 AM

How much gravel is that in your pics? I want to get some crushed stone to fill the ruts in my driveway but I'm reading that a yard of gravel is about 3800lbs(!). I figure I can haul about half that without exceeding the payload limit *too much* but half a yard of stone doesn't seem like a lot.

2016 Canyon CC LB SLE AT, Cyber Gray
Eibach Pro Truck Sport RHA shocks leveled at 1.4", Access Vanish tonneau cover, Morimoto 2stroke LED headlights
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

I asked for a half yard and the loader operator was being generous before I stopped him. The weigh-scale said over a metric ton (it was about 2400 lbs worth compared to the 1300 lb rated capacity). On this occasion I occasionally hit the bump stops coming home and the truck wallowed a bit, but it still had enough juice (it's the Diesel) to accelerate up a hill quite easily when I wanted to pass a semi. I've done a couple of loads just a bit lighter and drove without hitting bump stops and with reasonable handling.

I did once take a yard of gravel in my Dakota: it was an experience not to be repeated!

My experience using plastic tarps in the days when I had a truck (the Dakota) with a plastic bed liner was not encouraging - they generally got thrown away after one use.

As a contributor said earlier, the GM designers fell down on this one: as far as I am concerned the Colorado gets a failing grade in bulk materials handling because of the bumper gap. This is inexcusable for a truck. Otherwise I like the vehicle a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode