Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Anyone got a ZR2 with a winch on it yet?

20K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  medic535 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had figured out the best way to get a winch onto the front of a ZR2, with the modified bumper, I assume most of the brush guards with the winch mount for the regular Colorado are not going to fit.

If someone has done it, got any pictures?

Thinking about ordering a ZR2 and selling my Z71 so really curious as to what I am going to have to do to get a winch on it.

#2 ·
I've not seen anything. From what I've seen people are too scared to even take them offroad yet let alone take them apart. I say get it. Be creative and have something fabbed up.

#3 ·
Well, if I get one, it will get off roaded once its outfitted, so at least one forum member will have some pictures and trail experience in one. I am about 90% sure I am getting one. Just waiting until I can order a 2018 and the wait not be forever.

#4 ·
The only thing I might be concerned with is the extra weight on the front end because of the winch and mounting hardware. How are those fancy shocks going to react under the extra front end weight that IMHO was not designed into them. Just asking.....

#7 ·
#6 ·
Don't feel bad, you'd be surprised how many people don't think of stuff like that. Since the weight of the winch is forward of the front diff the unsprung weight is actually more than the actual weight of the winch and mounting hardware. I guess you could try and find a heavier front coil to compensate for the extra weight, but the jury is out on how those shocks would react. I guess someone's going to have to try it and find out. :wink2: I remember the concept ZR2 had a winch mounted into the front bumper but it also had King off road shocks as well.

#9 ·
Well, mine will be getting a winch just as soon as I'm able to get it fabbed up.

As for bouncing around off road, considering GM has been launching them airborne for months now, I think it'll handle a little bouncing around just fine. Normal trail driving will never give it the kind of load and impact that jumping it will. Now if you go jumping it with a mega heavy bumper and winch, then yeah, it's definately going to be harder on it.

Also, a winch is not unsprung weight. It is sprung weight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#16 ·
The option that GM had wouldn't be bad. They had a receiver fit into the front bumper. I would like to have the option of running the winch from the front or rear. It would work for me as I plan on running a tool box in the bed. They had it hard wired in with quick disconnects.

It is at 1:20 in the video.

I saw a thread on a receiver mounted on the front of a Z71, IIRC, to be towed. I will have to see how involved that was.

#18 ·
The option that GM had wouldn't be bad. They had a receiver fit into the front bumper. I would like to have the option of running the winch from the front or rear. It would work for me as I plan on running a tool box in the bed. They had it hard wired in with quick disconnects.

It is at 1:20 in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80-h0P1--ok

I saw a thread on a receiver mounted on the front of a Z71, IIRC, to be towed. I will have to see how involved that was.
I have a front mount hitch and a multimount winch setup. The big question is are there any frame differences in the area where the hitch would mount between the Z71 and the ZR2.

#20 ·
I can say it works just fine. Absolutely no difference in ride or handling at all. On road, crawling rough trails, or high speed though road and trails. No difference whatsoever between before and after.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.