Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

A few nice cheap mods

14K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Michael B. Harris 
#1 ·
I've had my 15 long bed for a few months now, and I finally got most of the exterior cheap mods that I wanted to get done.

First off, I got a Go Rhino RC2 Bull Bar for $185. Now, I know it won't help in an accident, but it will protect from any brush I get into off road or anyone who doesn't know how to park at Wally World. I think it makes the truck look pretty tough too!

Second, this was almost a free mod. I trimmed the front air dam off with a pair of craftsman aviation snip cutters I got off Amazon for $4. I taped it off and it took about 10 minutes with it still on the truck. I love that I won't plow snow anymore during the winter time, plus it doesn't look like an SUV from the front!

Third, I got some husky splash guards for $70. They really do the job of keeping mud off the truck.

Fourth, this is an interior mod, but I replaced the dome lights and vanity lights with LEDs. Cost about $14 off Amazon. Makes a huge difference when it's night out and I need to reach for something. Hard to tell they are LEDs, but it puts off a much whiter light without blinding yourself.

Fifth, I got Captain America valve stem covers off Amazon for $6. They are some sort of metal cap that have held up surprisingly well!! I really like them.

Lastly, I got a TonnoPro Tonneau Trifold cover off AutoAnything for $229. It keeps everything in the bed completely dry, even during carwashes.

Just a few very affordable mods to make your truck your own and not just another one on the road.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
He has done some nice work on his truck.

I think that society has migrated so far into the world of the internet that we have forgotten how rewarding it is to work with our hands, and at the end of the day to be able to point to an object, something you can touch, feel, smell, see, and yeh, even hear, and say "I done that." That sense of accomplishment, no matter how small, still feels great. Start small, go bigger.

I have one of those white collar jobs today that doesn't leave much in the line of tangible results to feel any real success. Over the last two weekends, I built a swing for my wife. Took a design she found on the internet, looked at the picture, figured out how to make it fit the cushions she wanted to use, and pulled out the old miter saw, tape measure, and battery powered drill and got to work. Pretty much did it by myself, so had to figure out some jigs to hold things in place to assemble, etc. All that is left now is to stain it and hang it. (actually more worried about how to hang it with the chain than the build process. ) It was a lot of fun to use my hands and my mind to design & build this swing.

Everyone needs to get their hands dirty sometime. And I am not limiting that to just us guys, nuthin wrong with a young lady knowing how to spin a wrench, drive a screw, cut a board. Besides that, working on projects like this require you to master a tape measure, understand fractions, all sorts of other "school" work that half of us have forgotten.

Keep them coming, cheap mods and expensive mods, they are all good and restore a little faith in this old guy that maybe society can survive for a while.

#4 ·
Thanks! I'm not a huge modder, but I just wanted something to make the truck my own and not just another Colorado.

I also put in a Console Safe for my handgun which is super useful! I never have to worry about it getting stolen if I had a break in, and I never have to leave home without it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.