Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Mud flaps

40K views 71 replies 43 participants last post by  NRose 
#1 ·
Installed my factory mud flaps on my Canyon AT. They look great and I hoped they would keep my truck cleaner but it isn't the case. I drove it in the rain for the first time this weekend with the new mud flaps and the rear fenders were still all slopped up. The fenders extend out from the cab on the twins and seem to catch a lot of road splash from the tires. I notice GM even put a clear protective coating on the front edge of the rear fender for this reason. I have the 3" round step bars installed also. Perhaps the flat steps would help protect the rear fender better. Any one else notice this on their trucks? Also does anyone know if GM is going to offer a fender trim piece like on the Colorado. I like the look and it needs some protection from stones too.

#2 ·
I noticed it a bit driving in the rain, but driving in the snow really opens your eyes as to how much junk the rear fender is catching. I couldn't believe how much snow was caked on the fender. It had actually covered part of the gas filler door.

I have to put some kind of splash guards on. I wanted the GM ones, but I don't want to drill a hole in the metal to do it. It seems like that just opens a corrosion point. I am hoping to hold out for the weather tech no-drill guards, but they told me it would likely be sometime in March (8-10 weeks from now) before they are available.

#3 ·
I got rock dings on my side quarters with mud flaps...

#4 ·
I'm going to be doing this install in a few days too..what type of corrosion protectant did you use on the holes you drilled?

I'm thinking a rustoleum primer on the bare metal followed by a silicone sealant on the screw itself and in the hole to make a seal.

#15 ·
There are only a couple of holes per flap you must drill and you use existing holes with the existing screws for the rest. If you look at all the screws that hold the inner fender linning you will realize that two more holes drilled into the sheet metal won't make any difference as all those screws in the inner lining have no doubt cut into and exposed a certain amount of metal for corrosion/ rust to start. I did use a silicone sealant on the screws I installed the mud flaps with. I would think the Weathertec screw less models would still use the existing screws in the fender well. I don't see how they would attach secure enough otherwise. , now as far as the plastic fender flair's not being compatible with the mud flaps. I would venture to say one could trim the fender flair to allow the mud flap to also fit and make a good joint where they meet. Even if you had to drill an additional hole to the bottom of the fender flair for a screw. I am going to my local Chevy dealer and ask them to let me try the fit on my Canyon and if they have the same wheel well I will try installing them even with my mud flaps. I will let you all know how it goes, or not! If GMC doesn't offer them I hope some after market supplier will in the near future. I like the color matched ones with the stainless screws exposed.

#6 ·
That is what I have understood from earlier threads.

OP, thanks for your report. I was trying to decide if I wanted to add mud flaps, hated the idea of the drilling to install. Sounds like I will wait for the no drill aftermarket and see if there design protects the truck any better.

#7 ·
I got the mudflaps installed as a factory option, and now you guys have me concerned about this possible rust. Where did they drill holes? I believe they installed them at the dealership so now I'm very curious...

#9 ·
I put the mudflaps on my Colorado last week. I don't have the instructions in front of me but as I recall it was 2 holes drilled per flap. But I think it was only one 3/16 hole thru the metal of the inner lip of the fender per flap, the other hole was thru a plastic piece, 1/16 on the front and 3/16 on the rear. The instructions called for some type of GM balm for the drilled holes. If yours were installed properly by the dealer they should have used this surface treatment after drilling.

I can take a look this evening if confirmation is needed.

#13 ·
One thing I did, to stop rock dings on my 06 Colorado fm gravel, is had our local truck assy shop spray bedliner on the lower panels from rear front tire to rear bumper. Pretty much simulates the double-stick tape rocker panels, but looks much better (IMO). I went w/black b/c my truck scheme is red/black, but most places can also color match. This way you can worry less about fly'n down the gravel...just a thought.

#18 ·
One would think they could come up with a one piece that is both fender flare and mudflap in one. Would solve a lot of problems IMHO.

#19 ·
One would think they could come up with a one piece that is both fender flare and mudflap in one. Would solve a lot of problems IMHO.
I agree...

#23 ·
Has anyone checked out the DuraFlap drillless? I had them on my full siz a few year back and loved them. I too will be probably be checking to see if they are going to be making them for the twins.

I have the factory splash guards and they really don't do any good for protection; just aesthetics, as they are way too short and narrow - no protection :-:)-(

Hopefully, DuraFlap will make some for our trucks...

#28 ·
I tried the Husky mud flaps & had issues with the bottom near the rocker panels. They just didn't fit right (moulding up against the real of the wheel-well). Still looking for ones that will fit correctly. Will look at the Weather-Tech mud flaps to see if they will fit better.
\
Nice logo for your Avatar.

#29 ·
I plan on installing the fender flares and mud flaps. Sounds like the Husky/WeatherTech/GM molded flaps would require trimming the flares. Rubber mud flaps might work with the flares using the same holes.

I did find out that both Luverne and Gatorback will be making a custom mud flap for the 2015 trucks.

#41 ·
I installed the OEM mudflaps. I did not drill the extra holes and just used the existing screws. My concern is the gap shown in the picture below that water will get in there and eventually into the mudflap itself and collect.

Attachments

#42 ·
Mine are tight against the fender. I cant remember if one of the extra holes was near the top, but if so that may be why there is a gap. Otherwise, maybe you can loosen the top screw and push the flap against the fender then tighten it up. There are holes in the bottom of the flap to allow water to run out, assuming they are not plugged up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.