2015 seats suck - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

2015 seats suck

Anyone else having issues with the seats in these new trucks? I'm 5'11, 210 lbs. But I'm not what you'd call obese by any means. Yet the side bolsters on these seats are causing pain in my upper legs unless I sit with my two knees almost touching. Couldn't they have added a couple inches to the seat width??? Must have gotten a Chinese dude for a test dummy for them.

Anyone know of a way to fix this? I'm thinking about getting a cushion to sit on and bring me up a bit so the side bolsters aren't digging into my legs. Didn't bother me before now. Probably too giddy about all the cool features to really notice them.

Danny

10,000 Posts Club Member #1
Conservative Club Member #2
Gun Toting American Club Member #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny45 View Post
Anyone else having issues with the seats in these new trucks? I'm 5'11, 210 lbs. But I'm not what you'd call obese by any means. Yet the side bolsters on these seats are causing pain in my upper legs unless I sit with my two knees almost touching. Couldn't they have added a couple inches to the seat width??? Must have gotten a Chinese dude for a test dummy for them.

Anyone know of a way to fix this? I'm thinking about getting a cushion to sit on and bring me up a bit so the side bolsters aren't digging into my legs. Didn't bother me before now. Probably too giddy about all the cool features to really notice them.
I have a Z71 and love the seats. I've heard they are different than the LT... but I never seen an LT in person.
post #3 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Yet the side bolsters on these seats are causing pain in my upper legs unless I sit with my two knees almost touching. Couldn't they have added a couple inches to the seat width???

Anyone know of a way to fix this? I'm thinking about getting a cushion to sit on and bring me up a bit so the side bolsters aren't digging into my legs.
My first thought, if you wanted to do it right, was find an automotive upholstery shop in the area who can either change the foam inserts, or add some foam inside the seat. Could potentially be expensive if they are disassembling the seat portion, and/or possibly restitching to accommodate more cushion.

post #4 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 AM

That's a drag--the seats are pretty well reviewed, and I liked them fine, but no seat is perfect for everyone. You might try a cushion and see how it works, but I think Detroit has the right idea-have an upholsterer shop take a look at them and see if they can sort you out.

The one thing I don't like about the seats is that the back recline is manual. I really liked the powered recline on an SUV we test drove for my wife a while back! I wish they'd put that feature on the top end trucks, at least in the Canyon SLT.
Rado777 and Two Door like this.
post #5 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I'm about your same size and I know what you are talking about! My Chevy SSR has the same problem with the bolsters pinching! Short trips OK, but long trips in the seat are killers! I use a cushion like they use on kitchen chairs!

Stano
post #6 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Banned

Some of the media evaluators have commented on the uncomfortable seats in the Colorado as well as a flimsy seat back adjustment. Seriously, how difficult is it to make a good seat?
post #7 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 02:56 PM

One of the mountain bikers commented that the side bolsters made the 'seat' area too narrow.
Sounds like you can back up that statement.
post #8 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

I can certainly back up his findings. The seat between the bolsters is 11 3/4" wide at the rear of the seat, and 12 1/2" up where my thighs sit. The bolsters at the rear are smaller and more compliant. But as they get bigger toward the front of the seat, they don't give much at all.

Pretty disappointing. And, read the new thread I started in the general section about the heater!!

Danny

post #9 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:29 PM

The seats in my 08 are 20" across. With 12" of that the flat space (seam to seam) between the bolsters. Of course the bolsters are pretty small. Even me, my legs are resting on both of the bolsters. I'm a runner and have strong legs, bigger than an average runner. But in general I am smaller than the average adult.

Do you feel there is a chance the material will soften in time, like when it breaks in some?
Next option would be to have an upholstery shop trim down the foam.

I only reason I ask because I ordered a 1993 F-150 and not long after I owned it took a long road trip. The seat wasn't very comfortable. So much that I realized that day that the years to come may be full of uncomfortable miles. In time, the seat foam broke in.
post #10 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 PM

I have read posts of some that say they want larger bolsters. I remember one of them drives a Camaro.....
post #11 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
The seats in my 08 are 20" across. With 12" of that the flat space (seam to seam) between the bolsters. Of course the bolsters are pretty small. Even me, my legs are resting on both of the bolsters. I'm a runner and have strong legs, bigger than an average runner. But in general I am smaller than the average adult.

Do you feel there is a chance the material will soften in time, like when it breaks in some?
Next option would be to have an upholstery shop trim down the foam.

I only reason I ask because I ordered a 1993 F-150 and not long after I owned it took a long road trip. The seat wasn't very comfortable. So much that I realized that day that the years to come may be full of uncomfortable miles. In time, the seat foam broke in.

I don't see that portion of the seat "breaking in" as the only thing touching that area are the backs of my legs. Not a lot of weight there to really break it in. In fact, I think over time it may only get worse as the flat part of the seat where my butt sits will compress and break in over time, leaving the bolsters even higher than they are now. I could be wrong though.

Danny

post #12 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 PM

I can definitely see how your thought can be true, in theory.
Hopefully it is not so. I'm sure the body will adapt to the seat though (people will get used to the discomfort).
post #13 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 12:10 AM

Can't be worse then the egg crates they out into the 04-12

1998 Pontiac Firebird/LS1 swap

2008 Pontiac G8 GT/ Cortex Tune/GXP Front Bumper
Camaro 20's/Solo Axel Back Exhaust-SOLD

2015 GMC Canyon Cyber Grey All Terrain CC SB 4x4
Took Delivery 11/23/14
Removed Air Dam
Rough Country 2 Inch Leveling Kit
Zone 1.5 inch body lift
Trifecta Tune
285/70 r17 BFG KO 2's

2016 SLIRH Chevrolet SS,
Camaro 20's
Solo Exhaust
Tinted front windshield
Black out package
#535 of 2,221 built in 2016
#1 of 5 as optioned
post #14 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 PM

Garage
I'm 5'11" 175lbs
When we went a test drove an LT i noticed it pushing into my thighs, on my Z71 it actually is MUCH better and haven't even noticed it pushing into my legs
post #15 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM

I feel like this is a tough thing for automakers to get right. If you don't have side bolsters (My old G8 ), everyone that is thinner complains because there is no support and you slide around. If they do add "aggressive" side bolsters you are left with this example above.

There is not a perfect way of doing things, unless you go for a very expensive design like my BMW that has the adjustable side bolsters.
post #16 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
I feel like this is a tough thing for automakers to get right. If you don't have side bolsters (My old G8 ), everyone that is thinner complains because there is no support and you slide around. If they do add "aggressive" side bolsters you are left with this example above.

There is not a perfect way of doing things, unless you go for a very expensive design like my BMW that has the adjustable side bolsters.

A very good idea. If they can do the adjustable lumbar support, they should be able to do adjustable bolsters without too much cost. Especially since they scrimped on the reclining part so badly.

Danny

post #17 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
A very good idea. If they can do the adjustable lumbar support, they should be able to do adjustable bolsters without too much cost. Especially since they scrimped on the reclining part so badly.
Probably my favorite seats in any vehicle I have ever driven. It is kind of funny when one of my friends get in my car to drive, and they are terribly uncomfortable because I have them adjusted so tight, but after adjusted I have yet to find someone who was not comfortable.
post #18 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stlakegetaway View Post
I have a Z71 and love the seats. I've heard they are different than the LT... but I never seen an LT in person.
What he said. The seats in my Z71 are just about perfect for me. I'm not a big guy (6'0", 175#) but i can spend hours in these seats in comfort.

jack <><
2016 Colorado LT 4X4 CC/LB
Duramax
Summit White
Reverendbiker.com
post #19 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:58 AM

I didn't realize the seats in the Z71 were different. Just thought it was the material.
post #20 of 362 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:39 PM

I own the LT Colorado and the seats are fine. You can't please everyone. I drove the truck to NY to NC and then back to NY. Not once was I uncomfortable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode