Fan/Whistling Noise / Cabin air filter replacement - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFI View Post
A low quality control item with an easy fix.
Already on my list to check when I pick mine up at the dealer in the near future I hope.

2015 Canyon SLE All Terrain Extended Cab with Heavy Duty Trailer Package, Cyber Gray Metallic, navigation, and spray in bed liner. Ordered Oct. 28th, delivered January 21st to dealer (Billion Automotive Sioux Falls, SD) and finally picked up by me January 22nd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beondwacko View Post
It's been mentioned a few times on this forum that the cover for the in cabin air filter is causing this whistle. Remove and reinstall fixes it.
I thought this could be the issue. Is the cabin air filter located behind the glove compartment? I am guessing you just bend the glove compartment in and pull it down to get behind it? I am looking through user manual and have not found any specifics on how to get to it just yet.

I appreciate all you guys help.
post #23 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:46 PM

post #24 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 07:17 PM

Is there anything special I need to do to remove the glove box? Remove the damper and squeeze?
post #25 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:23 PM

How do I remove the glovebox to get to the filter? On other cars the glove glove box walls are flexible and you can just mash it in and open the door down to the floorboard. This one is rigid and doesn't want to give to let the door open.
post #26 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:19 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle View Post
Is there anything special I need to do to remove the glove box? Remove the damper and squeeze?
Well I figured out how to remove it. Not sure if it is per the manual. There are two plastic cotter pins holding the hinges in place at the bottom of the glove compartment. I just removed the one on the left by squeezing it and pushing it to the right with a screwdriver handle. That put enough play in the door to get to it and make sure it was seated.

Total B.S. that you have to remove pins to get the glovebox off and that they don't put it in the owner's manual. I guess GM wants to promote stealerships charging $60 for a $20 job.
post #27 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstx View Post
Well I figured out how to remove it. Not sure if it is per the manual. There are two plastic cotter pins holding the hinges in place at the bottom of the glove compartment. I just removed the one on the left by squeezing it and pushing it to the right with a screwdriver handle. That put enough play in the door to get to it and make sure it was seated.

Total B.S. that you have to remove pins to get the glovebox off and that they don't put it in the owner's manual. I guess GM wants to promote stealerships charging $60 for a $20 job.
You don't have to. Just work at the sides. I popped the outside one first, and pulled toward me on the inside one. It will pop, just work at it. I removed no pins, and all I did once in there was pop the cover off, and put it back on. It did fix the whistle!

2015 Black Canyon
Crew Cab Short Box All Terrain
post #28 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:00 AM

Aside from the fan that you chose to investigate, what other reason is there to routinely remove the glove box?

The cotter pins really take 25 minutes to remove?

Were you successful in eliminating the whistle from the HVAC fan?
post #29 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 10:40 PM

So what really is the right way to remove the glove box to resolve the whistle sound? Pics maybe?
post #30 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
Aside from the fan that you chose to investigate, what other reason is there to routinely remove the glove box?
I was looking to see if that might be what is causing a noise that I'm hearing when accelerating, long shot and it wasn't it. Mine was seated fine.

Quote:
The cotter pins really take 25 minutes to remove?
Nope just a PITA compared to how easy it is to squeeze the side in on my wife's Toyota Highlander and get to the filter. Didn't say anything it taking about 25 minutes, but it could be much easier. I simply feel it was done this way to discourage users from changing it, as it even says in the manual "for more information on filter replacement, see your dealer."

Quote:
Were you successful in eliminating the whistle from the HVAC fan?
Turned out not to be the issue. I'm still trying to determine what might be causing a rattle around the steering column/instrument panel only when accelerating. More on that here.

Last edited by sdstx; 12-17-2014 at 10:57 PM.
post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaldz View Post
So what really is the right way to remove the glove box to resolve the whistle sound? Pics maybe?
I'd still like to know what the service manual says as well. I'm not squeezing and prying this glove compartment at all, knowing the size of those plastic cotter pins I could see them breaking easily as one tries to bend the glovebox to get it to come out of the dash.

Until I hear what a service manual says, if I do it again, I'll remove the two pins at the bottom and take care to remove the tether on the right side. Seems to be some type of damping tether that makes the door open more smoothly.
post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaldz View Post
No clue. I was afraid of breaking it so I just had the dealership do it. I am sure videos will appear eventually.
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzle View Post
No clue. I was afraid of breaking it so I just had the dealership do it. I am sure videos will appear eventually.
I was a little afraid as well. I worked at it for 10 minutes and eventually got it. I got the right side, then used both hands to try and make the top bend just a bit and the left side came out. There is also a little string type deal on a type of pully that I removed. It is there to make the door open nice and slow. Once in there it took me 10 seconds to take off the door and reinstall it. The noise was gone. It will come out, just do one side at a time.

2015 Black Canyon
Crew Cab Short Box All Terrain
post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Excellent! Just got mine yesterday (2015 Canyon), and noticed that whistling noise right away. Going to try this fix today and see if it works.
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 AM

The whole whistling cabin air filter housing seems to be a very common theme, and it appears that it does not always rear it's ugly head at first, a few miles of bad road seems to find the problem.

Did GM borrow this design from another vehicle or is this a problem only seen on the twins?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 AM

Equinox has the same one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Did GM borrow this design from another vehicle or is this a problem only seen on the twins?
I have had an Equinox since 2010 with the same cabin filter and have had no problems with whistling but changing the filters are a pain getting the glove box door removed.
post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 04:53 PM

Garage
Cabin Air Filter cover

I wanted to check my cabin air filter cover, I thought I heard some noise when my blower was on high speed or maybe I was just being paranoid from other people having issues with it. My cover was snapped in place with no issues.

To remove the glove box there are two plastic pins about an inch long that are the pivoting part of the hinge, I removed them with a pair of side cutter pliers. They can be seen from the underside of the glove box. After removing pins slide glove box to the left or right to allow the glove box stops to drop out of dash. I adjusted my passenger seat back to it's furthest position to gain access.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141222_151804_1419284998642.jpg (78.7 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg 20141222_151830_1419285030883.jpg (56.6 KB, 541 views)
DrGonzo01 likes this.
post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 PM

Location: Manhattan, KS - all moved & seeing more Clolorados in KS.
Garage
Those are great pictures. I can see what people are talking about on that filter now. I'll have to check it out when I get mine in 2015.
post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:46 AM

Are all 2015 Colorado models equipped with a "cabin air filter" or just certain models like crew cab's?
Our 2010 model Ford Escape "does not have one" but a different package model does.
post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 01:24 PM

Garage
I am pretty sure they are all equipped with cabin air filters, even the base models.

2015 Canyon All Terrain 4x4 CC LB
-Cyber Gray Metallic
-Trailering Package
-Zone 1.25 leveling kit
-BF Goodrich 265/70-17 KO 2
-AVS ventvisors
-Modified air dam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode