Fan/Whistling Noise / Cabin air filter replacement - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:05 PM

Same problem here

I am not going to mess with this. Ill let the dealer fix it when I get my first oil change. I just turn up the radio for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 PM

My Canyon started making the whistling sound yesterday. I remembered reading this thread so I knew what was causing it.

Sure enough, the cabin filter plastic cover was not seated properly. It attaches sort of like a tuperware lid. The lid has a channel all the way around that is supposed to attach to a lip on the cabin filter housing.

On mine, the bottom section was not snapped into the cover channel and it was allowing air to get sucked in and cause the noise.

Once I put the lid on properly, the noise went away.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT, V6 Crew Cab Short Bed - Quicksilver Metallic, Driver Alert package, Navigation, Bose Audio, Trailering Package.
post #43 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:38 PM

There are some poorly trained workers on these assembly lines, or hungover, don't give a.... or is it possible for this filter to pop lose on it's own?
In any case something isn't right for this to get past QC

Canyon SLT Crew Cab, Short Box 2WD/4WD
Emerald Green Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Sliding Rear Window, Exterior Package, Spray Liner
GearOn Divider, Audio/Naviagtion/Bose
BAK Revolver X2 Cover, Front Window Llumar Tint

post #44 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:47 PM

The filter slides into the housing in a horizontal fashion. It looks like the edge/lip of the plastic housing can deform to a shape slightly larger than the lid that secures it and if you're not careful, the lid sides can be clipped on even though it may not be fully seated/sealed all the way around.

On mine, I noticed that the upper section of the housing lid had an upward bend which must have made the lower section separate. I really think it was just shoved on there without paying attention to the channel/lip arrangement. It seems to be on there pretty good now. I don't think it will pop out.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT, V6 Crew Cab Short Bed - Quicksilver Metallic, Driver Alert package, Navigation, Bose Audio, Trailering Package.
post #45 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmtrek View Post
Yep, this is what was causing the noise. Dealer fixed it, it was from the cabin filter seal.

Hello KTMtrek,

I am glad that your dealership has been of great help in resolving this noise concern for you. Also, I am glad that your truck is working out nicely for you overall. Please let us know if you would like any future assistance and enjoy your weekend.

All the best,

Brandon M.
GM Customer Care

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #46 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos31820 View Post
On mine, I noticed that the upper section of the housing lid had an upward bend which must have made the lower section separate. I really think it was just shoved on there without paying attention to the channel/lip arrangement. It seems to be on there pretty good now. I don't think it will pop out.
+1. I had my truck in the shop today for a couple different minor issues and this was one of them. They closed before they could get to this issue, so I decided to take a look myself once I got home, since I ran into this thread.

Had the upward bend due to the middle-top portion of the cabin filter box being pulled by the bolt it is attached to. Just had to work the edges all around until it finally settled in nicely.

For any who aren't aware, you can pop out the glove box by pulling out the two plastic retaining pins on the left and right lower hinges on the glove box, then remove the string on the right hand side.

Also, thank you for this thread; I was starting to think I was going insane and being the only one who heard the whistling.
post #47 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
There is an issue with the cabin air filter. Service bulletin already issued on it I believe. Dealer can probably fix pretty quickly I would assume.
This fixed my dashboard whistle as well. I removed my glove box and noticed the top right of the plastic air filter cap was a bit loose. No more whistling. Thanks!
post #48 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:50 AM

Garage
Here are a couple of pictures when I checked mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141222_151804_1423068471383.jpg (78.7 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 20141222_151830_1423068555022.jpg (56.6 KB, 126 views)
post #49 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 PM
dpw

Just started on mine as well. Driving me crazy.

It whistles from 23-25 degrees. When I roll down the windows it goes away. I'll attempt the DIY fix during the daylight and report back.
post #50 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:59 PM

Did my fillter door again tonight. The dealer did reset it at my request prior to my pick up at purchase, at that time it was very loud whistle. Today I thought I heard a little too much of a whistle noise so I dropped the glove compartment and sure enough touched the left side of the filter cover and it popped lose, must not have been fully seated by the dealer. I reset it insuring that it was completely engaged in the cover's recess and the right and left tabs were engaged. Seems to have taken care of the slight whistle that had returned.

2015 Summit White Colorado Z71 Crewcab V6 SB 2WD Bose, SOLD after 9 months.

Last edited by Ticmxman; 02-06-2015 at 10:14 PM.
post #51 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:51 PM
dpw

Just did mine here at work on break. Thanks to those who described how to get the GB off.
The top middle on the filter cover was a bit off. Pushed it in and I will report if the noise goes away on my way home tonight.
post #52 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 AM
dpw

No whistle on the way home or back in this morning.
post #53 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:57 PM

2015 coloardo

does anyone know remove cabin air filter new coloardo
post #54 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 PM

Whistle Noise from the Instrument Panel

That should do it.

I didn't remove the glove box just the right amount of pressures on each side and released the attachment on the side of the glove box drop it down and there is the filter cover

2015 Summit White Colorado Z71 Crewcab V6 SB 2WD Bose, SOLD after 9 months.

Last edited by Ticmxman; 03-18-2015 at 08:27 PM.
post #55 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 PM

Pictures:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-e...ml#post2492913
Technical link:
Whistle Noise from the Instrument Panel

I searched "Cabin Filter" and found 6 or 7 related threads.
A more descriptive title is usually pretty helpful.
post #56 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM

Took my truck in to a dealer and they tried three times to perform the service bulletin and couldn't get it right, so I left with it still whistling. I took it apart myself to see if I could tell exactly where the whistle was coming from and found that it would happen even with the filter door removed, and only when the re-circulation button was turned on. Put it back together and confirmed several times while driving that it would only happen when the re-circulation button was turned on, and was way worse when a big gust of wind would come by.

Fast forward to today, took it to another dealer. GM advises that they are "aware of the issue and don't know what they're going to do about it yet." So I get to live with this darn whistle for an "undetermined" amount of time. You can bet they won't call me when a fix is available...

Just thought I'd update in case others continue to have the same issue.
post #57 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:35 PM

Dumb question, how are you removing the glove box?
post #58 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cianciulli View Post
Dumb question, how are you removing the glove box?
Read post #15- he tells how to do it.

2015 Colorado Z71
2011 Corvette Grand Sport
2006 Harley Dyna Street Bob
post #59 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZ06 View Post
Read post #15- he tells how to do it.
Crap. Sorry, I missed that. I told you it was a stupid question!! :)
post #60 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:04 PM

2015 Cabin Air Filter Replacement?

The new 2015 Colorado and Canyon have a factory installed cabin air filter. The owners manual only says "See your dealer service department for replacement". Where is the filter and how do you get to it, as it is not part of the 2 year, 24,000 maintenance and I'm not inclined to pay $105 per hour to have an 18 year old kid replace a $20 filter. Hope they made it easy this time, like my Subaru and Honda cars were and not like the 2002 Silverado!

2015 Silver Ice Metallic Colorado LT 4x4 Ext Cab.3.6L,
"When the chips are down, the Bison is empty."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode