Door Sill Protection pics - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTom View Post
I'm glad I shared it and others think it's a good and practical idea. I was roaming a Walmart just because I felt I was bad that day and needed to be punished when I ran across a Reese drop hitch and lock for about 24.00. But when I saw these rubber pieces I was surprised the idea came in my head immediately. I put it in the spots front and back where I knew shoes would wear the sill. jdrphs went one step further by lining the whole bottom seal so it's obvious you can do it to suit to your taste. But a very cheap mod for all of us to protect the threshold. Next will be the aluminum pieces with Colorado or Canyon machined into them I'm sure for 139.99
I still look at them and wonder why you aren't working for GM lol. It was your awesome find, and I am glad that others are seeing the benefits of them. Every time I talk about them I feel like I am taking your glory if I don't mention your name. It seems Reese owes you some money huh?!

2015 Black Canyon
Crew Cab Short Box All Terrain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:11 PM
gat

I've had my new Colorado for almost two weeks now, and this was my first mod. Way cool idea. Thanks.

Old....2012 Colorado Ext cab, 2 wd/4cyl. Beautiful POS.

New...2015 Colorado Ext cab Z71, 4 wd/V6. So far lovin' it

post #23 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrphs View Post
iTom found these, but I wanted to make sure everyone saw them. I was excited when he mentioned it in another thread, so I did it and took pics. These guys come in a pack of 2 for about $7.50 at Wal-Mart or elsewhere. I got two packs. You cut them in half exactly, and they will stick on the painted areas in the door sill area that is foolishly unprotected. I was amazed there was such a huge painted area that would take so much abuse that was not protected. I cut all 4 pcs in half for 8. I did 2 on each side in the front, and one each side in the back. Now I have 2 leftover. I think they look great, and all was done in 20 minutes and $15. THANKS AGAIN iTOM. That was going to drive me NUTS!
Tip. At Wal-Mart they are right by all the hitch and towing/RV stuff
Thanks for the idea. I decided to go a slightly different way, not putting the double piece. Not as much protection as using the two pieces but should work until a factory piece comes out. Thank you again for your quick fix idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (138.8 KB, 1288 views)

Last edited by Thor18; 01-15-2015 at 12:36 AM.

post #24 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:16 AM

I thought this sill cover idea was just fantastic so I kept my eye out walking thru Home Depot today and low and behold, they had something similar, black even for my black-on-black truck. Just dandy...

These come two to a pack also, got two packs - in the pic I had already cut them in half lengthwise for the forward part of the sill, then contoured as it went back, used up the two packs. Obviously this is the ex-cab. Oh, and like $8 for a pack of two. How can you miss?

Thanks for such a great idea!!

Chris Brown
2015 Colorado LT Ext-Cab 4X4 • I4 • Black/Black • Bose & Nav
Link for DIY: Cargo/Dog Platform Build For Ext-Cab

Last edited by Browneye; 01-29-2015 at 12:21 AM.
post #25 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:57 PM

Harbor Freight carries it also

Turn potentially hazardous locations into non-slip zones with this self-adhesive safety step tread. The 4" x 17" safety step tread is perfect for stairs, truck running boards or ladder rungs, especially in heavy work areas. The weather-resistant backing adheres to non-porous as well as semi-porous surfaces.
  • Weather-resistant adhesive backing
  • Adheres to non-porous and semi-porous surfaces
  • Perfect for use on steps, truck running boards, concrete, tile and more
post #26 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Canyon View Post
Get you some Weathertechs next
I have them coming oh say...... on the 25th . Had to get something for Christmas right. I am excited, they look really nice. Be nice when I wade in the water to launch the boat, no wet carpet in the new truck. Anyone see if W.T. is making a rear mat for the crew cab??
Seems like they just came out with the rear weather techs as I just checked! Great idea with the door sills
post #27 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTom View Post
So glad this worked out for you. Just really made sense and looks good to me.
Quote:
iTom found these, but I wanted to make sure everyone saw them. I was excited when he mentioned it in another thread, so I did it and took pics. These guys come in a pack of 2 for about $7.50 at Wal-Mart or elsewhere. I got two packs. You cut them in half exactly, and they will stick on the painted areas in the door sill area that is foolishly unprotected. I was amazed there was such a huge painted area that would take so much abuse that was not protected. I cut all 4 pcs in half for 8. I did 2 on each side in the front, and one each side in the back. Now I have 2 leftover. I think they look great, and all was done in 20 minutes and $15. THANKS AGAIN iTOM. That was going to drive me NUTS!
Tip. At Wal-Mart they are right by all the hitch and towing/RV stuff
Thanks for sharing and posting, picked up mine, they are cut waiting for 50* weather so they say Thanks Again

Jim
post #28 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:15 PM

I ordered these...

Amazon Amazon

fronts are 2 1/8 wide X 27 3/8 long
rears are 2 1/4 wide X 21 7/8 long

will need to cut to length but I like the fact that they wrap around the corner. I'll followup once I get them installed with pictures.
protocol2001 and jimbarb23 like this.
post #29 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 02:09 PM

3M also makes these in a clear version. Found them at Amazon. I would put a link to but having issues with my tablet
post #30 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Here are some pictures of the ones I ordered from Amazon. Don't believe their pictures, they are wrong!

post #31 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 09:09 PM

Garage
"Don't believe the pictures".......... Are you saying the ones you ordered are wrong and don't fit the 2015? What are the pictures of?
post #32 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 09:53 PM

Nice!

Chris Brown
2015 Colorado LT Ext-Cab 4X4 • I4 • Black/Black • Bose & Nav
Link for DIY: Cargo/Dog Platform Build For Ext-Cab
post #33 of 145 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlie822 View Post
"Don't believe the pictures".......... Are you saying the ones you ordered are wrong and don't fit the 2015? What are the pictures of?
No, sorry I was meaning that if you go to the Amazon link I posted previously, that the pictures listed there on Amazon are NOT the actual product. The pictures I posted here are what the actual product looks like. In other words don't believe the pictures on Amazon.

And no they are not supposed to fit our trucks. They are really for a Toyota.....but by cutting one end off they actually do seem to fit our trucks pretty good and I like how they wrap around the corner covering from the upper seal to the lower seal.
nodigity likes this.

Last edited by Warpster; 02-20-2015 at 11:13 PM.
post #34 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 10:33 PM

Has anyone tried a do-it-yourself textured spray-in bedliner on the door sills?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (47.8 KB, 275 views)
post #35 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 10:45 PM

Garage
Great tip! Had to go to a couple of different stores to find them, but it was quick and easy to put them on.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150321_151339_resized.jpg (486.1 KB, 981 views)
post #36 of 145 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

I love that so many have done this. Mine are still on and looking great after 3 months, and Winter is finally done!!!!
2015 Colorado and mokanmikey like this.

2015 Black Canyon
Crew Cab Short Box All Terrain
post #37 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor18 View Post
Thanks for the idea. I decided to go a slightly different way, not putting the double piece. Not as much protection as using the two pieces but should work until a factory piece comes out. Thank you again for your quick fix idea.
Mind sharing the type of mats in that picture? They look like they fit and protect well. I ordered the Z-71 mats with my truck and am very disappointed.

Ed Apelian
2015 Colorado Z-71 Crew Brownstone Metallic
All it takes is an open mind and an open road!

Short bed, Crew Cab, Fender Flares, Spray-in liner, Polished Exhaust, Tow Package, Black Side Steps
post #38 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc-colorado View Post
Mind sharing the type of mats in that picture? They look like they fit and protect well. I ordered the Z-71 mats with my truck and am very disappointed.
That looks like the Husky weatherbeater floor liners although it also looks like he's got the stock carpet mat sitting on top which I believe is not recommended by Husky.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT, V6 Crew Cab Short Bed - Quicksilver Metallic, Driver Alert package, Navigation, Bose Audio, Trailering Package.
post #39 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpster View Post
And no they are not supposed to fit our trucks. They are really for a Toyota.....but by cutting one end off they actually do seem to fit our trucks pretty good and I like how they wrap around the corner covering from the upper seal to the lower seal.
Warpster, there is an additional weatherstripping seal on the doors that is supposed to seal on the face of the sill where these Sill Protectors "wrap around the corner from the upper seal to the lower seal". I'm curious, have you noticed any wind noise/water/dust/debris appearing around the lower door sill area after you did the install?....or are the doors any harder to close?

I did read a review on Amazon where one user complained about this happening to them, but seeing as these are not really built for the twins it may not apply. As a test, it would be interesting to know if any water gets past this area if you directed a pressure washer upwards towards the seal next time you pressure was the truck.

From the picture you posted it does look like they fit pretty good, do they just install with a double sided adhesive tape? I'm debating to go with these or just with some 3M type clear film to avoid any sealing issues.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #40 of 145 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 12:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos31820 View Post
That looks like the Husky weatherbeater floor liners although it also looks like he's got the stock carpet mat sitting on top which I believe is not recommended by Husky.
Yes they are the Husky Liners which I am very pleased with. The original mat does slide around a bit and probably should not be used on top.
I use the truck for work, I try to keep my shoes clean and dry going into customers homes and the fabric will soak up the moisture and dirt on damp days. On muddy days I toss the stock one in back and keep my carpet clean, dry and protected with the Huskys.

I used to make mental notes but couldn't read my writing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode