Interior lights - Page 5 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 12:25 AM

Garage
Just installed my set of interior leds.

Same Cute Queen vanity festoons as everyone else.

For the domes, I went with the Yorkim 6th Gen 5 smd bulbs.
Amazon Amazon

Came out looking white. Pictures have a yellowish tinge but it doesn't look like that in person, look clean white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0717152115a.jpg (99.2 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg 0717152115.jpg (127.4 KB, 211 views)
Chris Chow likes this.

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs, Go Rhino Sport Bar 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 02:00 AM
WPG

Garage
Looks good, did you lose the dimmer effect?
post #83 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG View Post
Looks good, did you lose the dimmer effect?

I haven't replaced my vanity bulbs yet (will today), but I have replaced my dome lights with LED's like everyone else, and the dimmer effect still works (very surprised it did) Other than my HID headlights, standard brake lights and turn signals, all of my other bulbs have been replaced with LED's and they look so much better.

2015 GMC Canyon Ext Cab All Terrain 3.6L V6 Auto

post #84 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:21 PM

i'm looking at the LED packages at Precisionled.com, they've got an interior package and a premium package. Does anyone know the difference?

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
TPW: 7/13/15
Received: 8/8/15
post #85 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imref View Post
i'm looking at the LED packages at Precisionled.com, they've got an interior package and a premium package. Does anyone know the difference?
I'd question the kit content, because some of the bulbs pictured are wrong.
post #86 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:08 PM

Great thread and useful information. Hoping to order and switch out my interior lights soon

2015 Canyon GMC SLT - Bose - Driver Alert Package - Navi - Tow Pack - OEM Spray in Bedliner - Sliding Rear Glass - OEM 5 Inch Rectangular Assist Steps - OEM Moulded Splash Guard- 20% Tint - HID Low Beams 6000K - GMC OEM Tonneau Cover - GEARON Rails & Divider - OEM Premium All Weather Floor Liners - OEM Performance Air Intake - OEM Exhaust Upgrade Package - Access Battery LED Light Truck Bed - OEM Under Body Shield - Putco LED Fog Lights - ReadyLift 1.25" Leveling Kit - Trifecta Tune - AVS Visor
post #87 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Just installed my set of interior leds.

Same Cute Queen vanity festoons as everyone else.

For the domes, I went with the Yorkim 6th Gen 5 smd bulbs.
Amazon.com: 194 LED Light bulb, Yorkim® 6th Generation,Error Free, Non-Polarity,12V Lights for 168, 2825,T10 5-SMD LED Bulb, Replacement and Reverse White Bulbs,Used For Signal Lights, Trunk Lights, Dashboard Lights, Parking Lights, With Great Bright

Came out looking white. Pictures have a yellowish tinge but it doesn't look like that in person, look clean white.
Nice. I wonder how these compare in brightness with those linked to earlier in the thread.
post #88 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:32 PM

Old thread but seems like the best place to add what I ended up going with since I went a little LED crazy on my new truck. For the interior dome and reading lamps I went with the Yorkim 5th gen 194 LEDs (link) since they were only $10 for 10. They give a nice crisp white and are very bright. They do dim but not all the way down like plain halogen bulbs. Once it gets down to around 50% brightness they just go out completely but at least they don't flicker in the process.

I also replaced the cargo lamps and the reverse lights with a couple sets of Philips 921 Bright White Vision bulbs (link). I was disappointed when I got them because there's only two small LED chips inside that face towards a spike shaped mirror on the base. The whole top part is a solid metal heat sink so these bulbs are made to fire backwards into the reflector to cast their light.
I installed them in the cargo lamp and they do a mediocre job lighting up the bed. The reflector in the cargo lamp housing isn't particularly big so I think one of the bulb varieties with forward and side facing LEDs would be better suited for this location to cast light in all directions.
But the reverse lights, WOW! I went out a few minutes ago as it got dark and hit the unlock button the fob and I had to question which direction the truck was facing. These bulbs are like spotlights in the reverse light housings. You can see in the attached picture it lights up not just my neighbor's house but the one past that. That was a pleasant surprise so I think I'll be keeping these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0460.jpg (162.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0461.jpg (182.2 KB, 92 views)
post #89 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:45 PM

I can't get the lens cover off for the life of me. I've tried a putty knife and credit cards. I can get in there and hear the tabs click put can't get enough leverage to pull it down. Any suggestions?
post #90 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turns31 View Post
I can't get the lens cover off for the life of me. I've tried a putty knife and credit cards. I can get in there and hear the tabs click put can't get enough leverage to pull it down. Any suggestions?
Which lens? There are several.

Welcome to C'Fans
post #91 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Sorry the dome lights. Guess it'd help if I specified which ones. I'm too afraid to pull down any harder.
post #92 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry the dome lights. Guess it'd help if I specified which ones. I'm too afraid to pull down any harder.
IT helps if the interior is warm. If not, take a ride and heat it up good inside. 75 degrees or more. Then the plastic is less prone to crack.

See the diagram below. There are 4 places to pry it off where the tabs seat. I used a regular tableware butter knife with small rounded tip from the wife's kitchen drawer.

Anyway, take the rounded tip of the butter knife and slip it under the edge a bit at a time at each of the 4 points I marked on the diagram. Pry just a little at a time until you see it is coming loose. Then continue to pry at each point a little at a time as you go around the edge till the tabs release.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 03-28-2017 at 05:35 PM.
post #93 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Thanks I'll try this later tonight.
post #94 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks I'll try this later tonight.

Great. . . stop back and let us all know what worked for you. I know I struggled with those lens covers also.

I had a 2010 Colorado and the dome light covers cam off very easily with no fear of braking. The +2015. . .. , yeah, kind of dicey trying to get them off and much thinner plastic than the 2010.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #95 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Wondering if anyone has experimented with multiple brands of LEDs to give some feedback on different types. I would like to remove the existing yellow halogen lights, but at the same time I am not looking to make my interior light up like a disco show. My wife's Buick has LED interior lights standard and would like to find some aftermarket bulbs that match the factory GM in both brightness and color.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
post #96 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory. View Post
Wondering if anyone has experimented with multiple brands of LEDs to give some feedback on different types. I would like to remove the existing yellow halogen lights, but at the same time I am not looking to make my interior light up like a disco show. My wife's Buick has LED interior lights standard and would like to find some aftermarket bulbs that match the factory GM in both brightness and color.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
I swapped in all the LEDs I removed from my VW Passat before it went back to VW. I had got the kit for them from DeAutoKey. Basically any 5 led 194 wedge based bulb will work. The vanity mirror bulbs are different though and I bought some cheap ones off Amazon for those.

Vanity bulbs

Last edited by Sigforty; 05-03-2017 at 04:43 PM.
post #97 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM

I ended up going with Phillips 194LED for the interior lights and they are exactly what I was looking for. When compared to my wife's Buick which has LED interior lights standard, the color and light output is pretty much spot on. I was not looking for the worlds brightest LEDs for the interior, I just wanted the clean LED look and still have it look factory. I like how these lights have a built-in diffuser which produces very even light. If you're looking for a factory look I highly recommend these! If you are looking to perform surgery inside your truck I would not recommend these.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1164512/00038
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode