Colorado leaking water - Interior Soaked - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it is definitely concerning. my truck had water retained on the running board of the rear drivers side door too, but more water on the front door. So much that is pools out from the door when I open it. I am worried about corrosion in the long run as well as additional moisture getting into the electronics and carpet. I live in CT and we are getting mostly snow now, but I think it is definitely an issue. Water should not be getting into that area and pooling out when you open the door. I will keep you posted when I bring it to the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:35 PM

Garage
Really sorry to hear about your problem grovernat. I hope everything gets resolved soon and properly. Thanks for taking the time to post your issues here so we all can be aware of these types of problems.
post #43 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 12:23 AM

Logically, it sounds like the water is running down in between the driver's side window and the horizontal seal the window slides down into. I'm sure you're hesitant to test it, but you could open the door and put the water hose on the window (outside) to see what happens.

post #44 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXayd View Post
Logically, it sounds like the water is running down in between the driver's side window and the horizontal seal the window slides down into. I'm sure you're hesitant to test it, but you could open the door and put the water hose on the window (outside) to see what happens.
That is why they put those drains in the bottom of the door.
post #45 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_Norris View Post
Good to see GM is following these sites. I think that bodes well for customer support/care. Glad I made the switch from Tacoma, which, incidentally had a similar leak on the passenger side floorboard. 2009 model.
We're glad that you made the switch too! Please let us know if you ever ave questions or concerns. We're here to help!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Last edited by GM Customer Service; 01-14-2015 at 01:40 PM.
post #46 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Figured I'd share another picture. This is of ice forming in the weather stripping between the door and the rocker panel. Anyone else having this issue? Thankfully the drivers side floor isn't wet, but we haven't had any really good rain storms here in CT since the dealership fixed the leak 2 weeks ago. I still feel like there is an issue since water is freezing on the rocker panel though... I'll let you know how my appointment this Friday works out and if the dealership is able to find any issues.

Ice in door.JPG
post #47 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 AM

Picked up my Canyon the week of Thanksgiving. The night of delivery I took it for a little ride then went home. As I was switching over some of my things from my old truck I noticed the drivers side floor was wet under the mats. Being that it was late I brought it back the next day. The dealer was very concerned and after the hoilday they took it for a day. Found the water was coming in from the rear window. I took the truck back for the weekend because a glass installer was not available that day. Returned the truck on Monday and they had it for 3 days. When it was (supposedly) finished I was informed that it needed a new headliner due too staining.

Well the headliner was ordered Dec 9 and come to find out it also needs a windshield. I was told that in order to change the headliner the windshield has to be removed. As of right now I have not heard anything from the dealer I am getting a little ticked. Please note the truck had 9 miles on it when i returned it too the dealer the next day. So the first 8 days I owned the truck the dealer had it 4 of those days. Checked back with the dealer a few days a go and they have no idea when these parts will be in.

My feeling that this a NEW vehicle and it will now be compromised by removing all the said items and reinstalled. Somethings are never the same as new in my experience. Dont really know what to do so I guess I will wait and see then make my case.
post #48 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
We're glad that you made the witch too! Please let us know if you ever ave questions or concerns. We're here to help!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

I made the switch to an American produced vehicle after 30 years of owning Asian vehicles and I am starting to wonder if it was the right choice.
Owned a Tundra for 9 years and never a major problem.

Considering the Canyon had only 9 miles on it when this problem was found I wonder whats in store later on down the road. Water intrusion is not good in a brand new vehicle so I am waiting for parts too see the outcome of all this
post #49 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_Norris View Post
Good to see GM is following these sites. I think that bodes well for customer support/care. Glad I made the switch from Tacoma, which, incidentally had a similar leak on the passenger side floorboard. 2009 model.
I too drive a 2006 Tacoma. Any extended period of rain leaves a large puddle on the passenger floor board. Good thing I have weathertech mats in there. But anyway, just passing along that things like this happen to all manufacturers. Mine still does it, but with 154,000 miles, I haven't fixed it b/c my plans are to get rid of it and try out a Colorado sometime around November.
post #50 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:36 AM

I owned an Asian vehicle about 30 years ago and it was a good day when I sold it.
post #51 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
I owned an Asian vehicle about 30 years ago and it was a good day when I sold it.

Tooo each his own
post #52 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I totally agree with you - After the repair on my Colorado in which they had to re-seal a plastic valance near the windshield, there were marks on the windshield, the top dashboard panel was not aligned perfectly anymore, the plastic piece near the running board was removed when they aired out the carpet and that doesn't seat perfectly anymore.. It is all very frustrating. I feel there should be some compensation or accommodation offered to buyers of new vehicles as it just takes away from the value and the experience of buying a new car in the first place. I gave GM all my info and contacted the customer care site and they haven't offered anything other than a loaner vehicle while the repair was made.
post #53 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:23 PM

I just picked up my new Canyon last night. And this thread makes me a little concerned. When we did all the paperwork on Saturday, I noticed a light stain in the lowest part on the headliner in between the drivers seat and passengers seat. It looked like a water stain to me but I tried not to over-think it like I usually do. The dealer was able to remove the stain before I picked it up so I guess I will keep an eye on it. I'm guessing I wont find out if I have a problem until it warms up since it is only 5 degrees here right now.
post #54 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:01 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=it is only 5 degrees here right now.[/QUOTE]

Take it through a car wash. Have a passenger with you so there are two sets of eyes on the area of concern.
post #55 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:11 PM

I just purchased a new Canyon and noticed noise from under the dash. The dealer inspected it and said that a 'seal' around some pipes? or such going thru the firewall was left off at the factory. It has not rained on it yet, but maybe that same missing seal could allow water to enter, as well as noise.

They hinted that several vehicles were made without the seal, so you might ask them about it. The seal is on the firewall, on the drivers side, up high (they pointed to it for me, something about air conditioner pipes/wires??

The ordered a new seal and will call me when it arrives.
post #56 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCanyon View Post
I just purchased a new Canyon and noticed noise from under the dash. The dealer inspected it and said that a 'seal' around some pipes? or such going thru the firewall was left off at the factory. It has not rained on it yet, but maybe that same missing seal could allow water to enter, as well as noise.

They hinted that several vehicles were made without the seal, so you might ask them about it. The seal is on the firewall, on the drivers side, up high (they pointed to it for me, something about air conditioner pipes/wires??

The ordered a new seal and will call me when it arrives.
If possible could you upload a photo pointing out exactly where this is so we can all do a quick check?
post #57 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:12 PM

This maybe what you are looking for.
Post #4
"so I guess I forgot to add I had a ticking issue. At first the dealer did not know what it was and today the service manager got a message back from GM saying that they forgot to install a piece of insulation on some trucks so where the evap line comes through the firewall there was no insulation. he said the fix was to take out the dash and install the foam from the inside. I did not care for that to much so he was able to get some foam in from the engine side and also use some sealant. The ticking has gone away and sounds just like the other one they had on the lot. The steering wheel still creaks from time to time. and the Camera has not acted up since the last post so I'm not sure what that was."

http://coloradofans.com/forums/114-2...ml#post2391570

2015 Summit White Colorado Z71 Crewcab V6 SB 2WD Bose, SOLD after 9 months.
post #58 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 PM

I don't know how to upload a photo, but I can describe the location of the missing seal, and tell you how to know if yours is missing.

Directly back of the drivers side cylinder head of the 6-cyl engine (and imagine the same location in the 4-cyl), you will see two aluminum air conditioner pipes, one larger than the other. They both turn toward the firewall and enter a kind of lump (maybe a pipe joint), which passes thru the firewall. Pick an evening or inside a garage, and place a light where it will shine toward the firewall, where the two aluminum pipes enter on the engine side.

Look under the dash on the drivers side, above the gas pedal, and you will see the same 'lump' on the inside of the firewall. If the seal is missing, like mine, you will see light entering thru the gap from the under-hood light source.

A small flashlight was all it took for me to see the light leaking thru the gap around the 'lump' where the lines pass thru the firewall.

My fear of the repair is that the freon probably must be removed and the pipes disconnected to put the seal into place. It might be possible to somehow put the seal in without disconnecting the pipes, but that would require cutting the 'mostly' round seal so that it could be wrapped around the 'lump'. But that is probably not how it will be done. I guess at this stage everything is under warranty, so if it leaks or something, the dealer will have to fix it.

I can attach a photo of the general area which shows the pipes and where they enter the firewall at the 'lump', if you can tell me how to attach the photo. But the area is easily identified by the 'aluminum'-looking pipes (about 1 inch in dia for the larger one, about 1/2 inch in dia for the smaller one).
post #59 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:42 PM

I believe that a seal around the flange, where the 'lump' passed thru the fire wall, could be put into place without removing or disconnecting anything.

But that would be considered a 'patch', rather than placing the seal in properly as was intended during manufacturing. And perhaps the official seal serves to surround and locate the freon lines to prevent damage due to vibration or movement during operation.

So I suspect the GM would not allow such a 'patch'.
post #60 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCanyon View Post
I don't know how to upload a photo, but I can describe the location of the missing seal, and tell you how to know if yours is missing.

Directly back of the drivers side cylinder head of the 6-cyl engine (and imagine the same location in the 4-cyl), you will see two aluminum air conditioner pipes, one larger than the other. They both turn toward the firewall and enter a kind of lump (maybe a pipe joint), which passes thru the firewall. Pick an evening or inside a garage, and place a light where it will shine toward the firewall, where the two aluminum pipes enter on the engine side.

Look under the dash on the drivers side, above the gas pedal, and you will see the same 'lump' on the inside of the firewall. If the seal is missing, like mine, you will see light entering thru the gap from the under-hood light source.

A small flashlight was all it took for me to see the light leaking thru the gap around the 'lump' where the lines pass thru the firewall.

My fear of the repair is that the freon probably must be removed and the pipes disconnected to put the seal into place. It might be possible to somehow put the seal in without disconnecting the pipes, but that would require cutting the 'mostly' round seal so that it could be wrapped around the 'lump'. But that is probably not how it will be done. I guess at this stage everything is under warranty, so if it leaks or something, the dealer will have to fix it.

I can attach a photo of the general area which shows the pipes and where they enter the firewall at the 'lump', if you can tell me how to attach the photo. But the area is easily identified by the 'aluminum'-looking pipes (about 1 inch in dia for the larger one, about 1/2 inch in dia for the smaller one).

On trucks built prior to October 29, 2014, an acoustic seal may have been knocked out of place during assembly. If this acoustic seal is dislodged or missing, the High Pressure Fuel pump tick sound can be heard easily inside the cab of the truck.
If the seal is missing, replace it with one from Kit Part Number 23135690. Reference the Blower Upper Case Replacement section of the appropriate Service Information to assist with seal replacement.
From GM Techlink

Canyon SLT Crew Cab, Short Box 2WD/4WD
Emerald Green Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Sliding Rear Window, Exterior Package, Spray Liner
GearOn Divider, Audio/Naviagtion/Bose
BAK Revolver X2 Cover, Front Window Llumar Tint

Last edited by AU Canyon; 01-13-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode