Colorado leaking water - Interior Soaked - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Colorado leaking water - Interior Soaked

Just purchased a new Crew Cab Colorado on 12/20. Opened the drivers side door on Christmas after some moderate rain the night before to find the entire drivers side floor soaked in water. Also, when I opened the door it seemed like a 1/2 gallon of water spilled out of the truck from the door and the rocker panel. I noticed all the weather striping was soaked. The rocker panels had puddles of water on them, and the bottom of the door seemed to be holding water....

Brought it to the dealer and they said it was missing part of the seal around the plastic shroud near the windshield wiper and the water was coming in through the fire wall? That didn't really make sense to me because I saw so much water come out when i opened the door. I thought the issue would be defective weather stripping.

I opened the drivers side door this morning after some light rain overnight and noticed water dump out from the rocker panel area again... This time the carpet doesn't seem wet though....Granted this was a light rain, I am concerned that the truck is still leaking.

I'm pissed that this brand new truck was basically filled with water. Who knows what kind of electrical issues this could lend itself to in the future if anything electrical was exposed to the moisture....
John Hughes and tugdogmoose like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Pictures?
post #3 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Garage
I find the post helpful, so others are aware of the potential for a problem, and also venting with like-minded individuals.
Also reminds me why I am not buying a 2015. 2016 not looking too good either.
Maybe a 2017 or closeout 2016.

post #4 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:22 PM

Besides my general unhappiness with the water leak, the smell would be awful when the carpet mildews.

Not sure how I would want them to handle this, but I would be pulling this into a car wash with the service manager sitting inside and seeing where the leaks were pronto.
Bad Apple likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #5 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:37 PM

This is awful
What options are there? Electrical concerns,rust,mildew as you stated
Chevy should provide you with a new vehicle since this was on their watch. Please keep us posted on what they do

Canyon SLT Crew Cab, Short Box 2WD/4WD
Emerald Green Metallic/Cocoa Dune
Sliding Rear Window, Exterior Package, Spray Liner
GearOn Divider, Audio/Naviagtion/Bose
BAK Revolver X2 Cover, Front Window Llumar Tint
post #6 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:50 PM

I would be livid. Somebody better be stepping up and making you, the customer, happy. Assuming of course the truck has a defect and its not like the time I left a window open a crack.

I have to say I haven't been overly impressed with the quality control on colorados I've looked at on lots. 50% of them have some issue that somebody sure should have noticed prior to letting a customer look over the truck.

Last edited by LordThunderbum; 01-05-2015 at 02:52 PM.
post #7 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxguy1970 View Post
Thanks for being a contributing member of the form, what are you trying to accomplish with this story?

Tyler
I think you may have a point - one post about an issue when the profile is blank - I'd be suspicious that someone "Non-GM" was attempting to give the twins a black mark.

Even paranoids have enemies...

But then again, he may be really pissed that his new truck is damp.
post #8 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 03:37 PM

grovernat, Please keep us informed as to what the local dealership is offering in an attempt to correct this problem.

This is a potential long term concern with future failing electronics or deterioration of the interior.

Work with them on a friendly and personal level and give them a chance to remedy the situation. Do not allow it to drag out as it can become 'forgotten' about.

Lets do our best to keep this thread on topic and hold back our comments regarding quality control. That topic has been discussed already in plenty of threads. Also unless it is viable, stating what 'demands' should be made to the dealership is unnecessary too.
post #9 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,
As some of you noticed I am a new member. I just created my account today in lieu of my recent purchase as well as the water leaking issue. I do have pictures, but I need to find a host site to load my images and get a URL as it appears I cannot just load them from my computer onto the site here.
I posted this hoping to find out if this has affected any other 2015 Colorado owners, to share my experience, and to make others aware of the issue for when you decide to look at a new Colorado.
Obviously I did not see the leaking water issue when I bought the truck. I did contact the dealership today and they have been reasonable and are willing to take the truck back in to try and find out if the leak is coming from a different location. The appointment isn't until 1/16 though since that is when the next loaner car will be available.
I was livid when I first found the water in the driver side floor. I even put in a complaint with GM priority care and asked them to share this issue with their manufacturing facility to prevent further issues with the seal. I read a really great article on how Chevy has done extensive water intrusion testing on the Colorado so I am not sure how this one slipped through the cracks.

I will keep you updated either when the next rain storm comes, or when I bring it in - Whichever comes first. I'll also upload pictures shortly
Rhoppas likes this.
post #10 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 04:59 PM

You also have to wonder how long the truck was sitting on a lot or on a carrier truck and got rained on. Your leak might not be the first time it got wet.
post #11 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

This photo shows the water on my driveway that came out from the door and rocker panel as soon as it had opened
Water on driveway.jpg

This photo shows all the water still on the base of the driver side door.
Water on door.jpg

This photo shows the water along the rocker panel. You can also see that the weather stip next to the plastic foot guard is wet too.
Rocker Panel.jpg

When I opened the passenger side door, these areas were bone dry. Along with these pictures, the entire carpet on the driver side felt like a wet sponge. In order to dry it out completely, they had to remove all the trim on the floor and pull up the carpet to get airflow down there.
Ninorado likes this.
post #12 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 05:16 PM
CFI

I suspect a bad door hinge.
post #13 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 05:30 PM

I'm getting more nervous about this truck the more I hear about it. Also, if you go to New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews | Cars.com, you will notice a number of used 2015s already for sale, with less than 3,000 miles on them. Seems that the original owners didn't like them. I'd like to hear from them on why they got rid of their trucks so soon.

I'm keeping my mind open about getting this truck - even though I like my 2011 a hundred times better - but all these reports of problems are making me stay away from the truck. I wish GM would've just kept the original Colorado's going, and make some incremental modification to them instead of this reinventing-the-wheel 2015… :'(
post #14 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 PM

You are not getting mine! I love it. Hope your problem gets resolved QUICKLY
drewabbs likes this.
post #15 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 06:01 PM

I am so sorry to hear of problems like this. Hope this one is resolved soon and satisfactorily. But, on a forum like this, people post problems to be informative and to find resolutions. There are thousands of people like me that are enjoying their new truck with no problems at all.
drewabbs likes this.
post #16 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondog3 View Post
I'm getting more nervous about this truck the more I hear about it. Also, if you go to New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews | Cars.com, you will notice a number of used 2015s already for sale, with less than 3,000 miles on them. Seems that the original owners didn't like them. I'd like to hear from them on why they got rid of their trucks so soon.

I'm keeping my mind open about getting this truck - even though I like my 2011 a hundred times better - but all these reports of problems are making me stay away from the truck. I wish GM would've just kept the original Colorado's going, and make some incremental modification to them instead of this reinventing-the-wheel 2015… :'(
Interesting....I went to that site and you want to guess how many used 2015 Colorado's were for sale in my area.........yep, you guessed it.... none, notta, zero, zilch, big ole Goose egg!
post #17 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong, I love this truck! It's great on gas, low road noise, fits my whole family, and has great utility.. The list goes on. It literally has a little bit of everything and that's why I bought it. Im certainly not knocking it, I just wish it wasn't leaking water and wanted to let all the other Colorado fans know that this is a potential issue you should be aware of as it has made my new car experience less than desirable.
post #18 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondog3 View Post

Where exactly did it say that the owner didn't like any of these trucks? I did an any miles from 48210 search and 16 trucks came up. I would wager a guess that they're demos or have been driven by a salesman or they were executive driven by a GM executive. I seriously doubt that any of these trucks are listed as used because "the owner didn't like it" You sound as well like someone who's out to give these trucks a bad name.
post #19 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovernat View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love this truck! It's great on gas, low road noise, fits my whole family, and has great utility.. The list goes on. It literally has a little bit of everything and that's why I bought it. Im certainly not knocking it, I just wish it wasn't leaking water and wanted to let all the other Colorado fans know that this is a potential issue you should be aware of as it has made my new car experience less than desirable.
It's definitely something that potential buyers would want to know, just like the HVAC issues that have been reported elsewhere. Doesn't mean the trucks are all crap, just something to keep an eye out for. Can't say I blame you for being jerked about this -- it sure takes the fun out of having a new vehicle. Hopefully they either figure out what the issue is or somehow otherwise make it right for you.

Send lawyers, guns and money.
post #20 of 436 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracer View Post
Where exactly did it say that the owner didn't like any of these trucks? I did an any miles from 48210 search and 16 trucks came up. I would wager a guess that they're demos or have been driven by a salesman or they were executive driven by a GM executive. I seriously doubt that any of these trucks are listed as used because "the owner didn't like it" You sound as well like someone who's out to give these trucks a bad name.
Sorry if my post was so negative. I guess I should be more understanding of the fact that newly-designed vehicles almost always have bugs in them. I'll give the 2015 another chance… I guess I'm just overly-nostalgic for the original Colorado - especially since it's the first truck I've ever owned.

Anyway, hope they fix your leaky door...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode