Windshield washer fluid warning or sensor - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxguy1970 View Post
Now we are complaining about a low washer fluid light? Wow, not sure I have ever even been in a vehicle that has had that. People these days sure want EVERYTHING and if it isn't included it goes on the unsatisfactory survey am I right?

Tyler
That's a pretty big leap there Tyler. I personally have had this in the last three NEW vehicles that I've owned from two different manufacturers, and would also have been surprised if I suddenly ran out on a snowy crappy day. Not everyone lives in a warm climate.... Jeesh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:26 PM

Every once in a while the shop will 'add to fluid' during my oil change.

I have to ask myself a question.....I wonder why because I don't remember using it. I don't remember the last time I purchased a gallon of fluid. I personally have very limited reasons for use. It is either dry, or raining. Unlike when I lived in the east and required it all the time. Back in the 90's though, I always had a partial jug and a full jug and I'd check it routinely during the winter - because I knew I was going through it.

For those who use it often understand it will run out and usually keep it with them.
post #23 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Rest easy my children, when the US Government requires a washer warning then ye shall have them standard, not a model year sooner,..... meanwhile should you find your tank empty, do what all the old geezers on here remember doing, before windshield washers, Dad would order us out of the car and we would scoop up slush, snow, what have you with our bare hands and throw it onto the windshields for a quick clean, and we liked it! Every half mile......... Things like this make you check without relying on warning bells, lights, buzzers, dingers, monitors or whatever.

Bear with me while I speak, and after I have spoken, mock on. [Job 21:3]

2006 3.5L, Crew Cab, Z71, Dark Metallic Red
Gift from wife Christmas 2007 (21000 miles)
100,000 miles on 01/28/13
110,000 miles on 10/22/13
120.000 miles on 07/08/14
130,000 miles on 03/19/15
140,000 miles on 11/19/15

post #24 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davn View Post
Rest easy my children, when the US Government requires a washer warning then ye shall have them standard, not a model year sooner,..... meanwhile should you find your tank empty, do what all the old geezers on here remember doing, before windshield washers, Dad would order us out of the car and we would scoop up slush, snow, what have you with our bare hands and throw it onto the windshields for a quick clean, and we liked it! Every half mile......... Things like this make you check without relying on warning bells, lights, buzzers, dingers, monitors or whatever.
Fortunately my 'dad warning' never worked when I was a kid. but when I was old enough to drive, I do remember wiping snow on my glass to clean it.
post #25 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:35 PM

I never even considered a warning for washer fluid as something that existed.
Lol
post #26 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Just saw a couple: BMW, SUBARU,, I'm sure there's more..

Jim
post #27 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davn View Post
My awakening was when I was in college. The washer fluid froze solid in the tank.
Being in college, on rare occasions we had *ahem* alcohol available. Took some left over Don Q 151 rum and poured it into the tank. Thawed it out well and the windshield smelled nice for a while afterward.
post #28 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Just a side note here, my wife's 2013 CHEVY Traverse has a low fluid warning. My previous 2006 Pontiac Torrent had it as well. They are hardly luxury vehicles. I'll get over not having a low fluid warning and still love my Canyon, but there's really no reason for the feature not to be included since it's something that comes standard with other vehicles made by Chevy and GMC. That being said I'm all filled up again and ready for another trek through the Ohio snow and salt so life goes on.
post #29 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:48 PM

All vehicles should really have this indicator light. Having multiple drivers using the same vehicle, you never know how much fluid is in the resevoir and being -40 Celsius today in Canada doesn't make for a pleasant situation if you need to pull over while stuck in traffic on the highway. I think many drivers and truck owners can relate to this frustration and scratch their heads when something so simple goes a such a long way... Rant over... :).
post #30 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELBURNS View Post
I have drained mine twice. No light. I have never had a vehicle that did have one so it wasn't a concern to me. However, now that it has been pointed out I'm pissed!
LOL!

And now I am too! We're mad as HeII and we're not going to take this anymore!!!

‘16 Colorado LT CC LB Duramax - Brownstone, Bose, Luxury Pkg, Safety Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Trailering Pkg/Locking rear diff, Wheel flares, BORA 1.5" wheel spacers, Iron Cross Patriot Running Boards, Line-X. Planned mods: Zone 1.25" level. SOLD: '15 Colorado LT V6. Threw kitty litter on that turd....... and dumped it!

Last edited by DiNoto; 02-15-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: stinkin' asterisks!
post #31 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:03 PM

I was checking fluids on my new Colorado Z-71 and noticed my washer tank was almost empty. Never used it at the time. I added over a gallon to top it off. Either GM or the dealer never bothered to check. There are no leaks!
post #32 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 08:42 AM

I think it wouldn't have been that big a deal for GM to add a light to the dash. Jeeze...C'mon My 98 Dakota HAS a low fluid light AND a 4WD indicator light on the gauge pack and it's a 17 year old design. C'Mon Gm
post #33 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellojacket View Post
I think it wouldn't have been that big a deal for GM to add a light to the dash. Jeeze...C'mon My 98 Dakota HAS a low fluid light AND a 4WD indicator light on the gauge pack and it's a 17 year old design. C'Mon Gm
I am not a programmer, but once you have added a Driver Information Center (DIC) to the instrument panel, seems like adding some type of warnings for anything is pretty easy. It doesn't require a new light on the instrument panel, just a little programming.

I would suggest that some type of notification that you were in 4WD would be much higher on my priority list than the low level windshield washer solution, and my truck is just 2WD.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #34 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to bjames Send a message via MSN to bjames Send a message via Yahoo to bjames
Funny, living in Seattle for the last 8 years I have never refilled the washer fluid on any of my, or the wife's vehicles. I am guessing that it rains enough here that I don't find myself needing to clean the windshield. Anyway I guess a warning signal would help but really just fill it once in awhile. Maybe every time you have the oil changed.
post #35 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:24 AM

Garage
I've never had a car with this feature either, even fancier cars like Infiniti/Lexus.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado ♦ Crew Cab ♦ Long Box ♦ 4-Wheel Drive ♦ LT trim ♦ Rainforest Green Metallic

Mods:Upcoming mods:
post #36 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:04 PM

I've opened my hood three or four times just to check on the fluid level since I got the truck back at the end of December.
Living in the northern tier of states I know I'm going to use the fluid a lot as the salt melts the snow which is thrown onto my windshield by cars ahead and the ones passing by in the opposite direction.
It can be done in a minute or two even in the temps we've been having.
post #37 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:34 PM

My 2009 Chevy Crew cab LT had one and the 2003 GMC 1500 Z-71 stepside had one as well. Don't bother me but I would like to know why they stopped putting them in??

2015 Chevy Colorado White Crew Cab
post #38 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:38 PM

I just popped hood yesterday on my truck and checked a few things out. I was surprised to find my fluid was a little low, put over 1/2 gallon of washer fluid in it. I have used some fluid, but I haven't ran the spray all that much.

I am wondering if it was delivered fairly low, or if the spray system in these trucks provides a much higher spray volume than we normally see on other vehicles. Will keep an eye on it and see after this ice storm we have forecasted this week.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #39 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I just popped hood yesterday on my truck and checked a few things out. I was surprised to find my fluid was a little low, put over 1/2 gallon of washer fluid in it. I have used some fluid, but I haven't ran the spray all that much.

I am wondering if it was delivered fairly low, or if the spray system in these trucks provides a much higher spray volume than we normally see on other vehicles. Will keep an eye on it and see after this ice storm we have forecasted this week.
Wonder if some bean counter decided to save fifty cents per vehicle and only half fill the tank at the factory. While it wouldn't make a new customer happy it's got to be only a minor annoyance for most. And how many would give their satisfaction survey a hit for it?
post #40 of 113 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstinman View Post
Does anybody know if there is supposed to be a "low" warning for windshield washer fluid? I ran out today and never noticed any kind of warning. Most vehicles have that now days, not the twins?
most vehicles dont. check the owners manual.

2015 Chev Colorado Z71 4x4 CC LB Black. Bose, Trailer package
ordered: 02/07/15 // Took Ownership: 09/05/2015!
1995 Chev Camaro SS/1LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode