Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Windshield washer fluid warning or sensor

32K views 112 replies 58 participants last post by  fondupot 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if there is supposed to be a "low" warning for windshield washer fluid? I ran out today and never noticed any kind of warning. Most vehicles have that now days, not the twins?

#2 ·
Never had a car with a low fluid warning. I just top mine off every couple of weeks so I never go low, tank holds an entire gallon. Can use the washer fluid at least 50 times before you run it empty with that much capacity.

My dealer tops mine off when they change the oil, not sure if they all do this.

#5 ·
Does anybody know if there is supposed to be a "low" warning for windshield washer fluid? I ran out today and never noticed any kind of warning. Most vehicles have that now days, not the twins?
you might want to check for a leak/crack it shouldn't just "run out". I would think you would have noticed the spurts gradually reducing in volume as it got lower, it shouldn't have been abrupt.

I too have never run out in 7 years but maybe the new ones only hold a very small amount.

#10 ·
There's no leak or crack. I have have an hour drive to and from work in the snow/slush so I use it a lot. It started spurting on my drive to work today, but I still have the drive home and now have no fluid. Had I known it was low I would have topped it off before leaving home.

My 2006 Pontiac Torrent had a low washer fluid level indicator so I assumed this vehicle would warn me when it was low as well. I guess I'll have to pop the hood every couple of weeks in the winter to check on it. That's a miss by Chevy/GMC in my opinion.

#9 ·
Half the time I think they top the fluid off with fluid that gives no protection in cold weather, maybe just water. I prefer to top that off my self.

I know a lot of newer vehicles have a 1 gallon capacity so that you can pour a full gallon jug into the tank and not have to keep a jug hanging around.

I never let it get low enough for a warning to come on, so it is not something I would know or care about.

Nothing in the electrical schematics suggests that their is a level alarm, nor in the owner's manual.

#11 · (Edited)
I have to admit, I'm with the OP, there should be an indicator for something that can be so quickly consumed. If I see the indicator come on during my drive, I can at least pull over to a gas station on my way to fill up the fluid instead of being on a highway with no warning during bad conditions. Every other vehicle I've owned has had this feature. Looking at the lit indicators on my truck it doesn't appear to be one for it. Unless it's one I can't see... (I can see indicator spaces for things I don't have like lane departure, etc) but I don't see a blank for washer fluid. Bummer... Maybe they can add it to the DIC? :-D Please excuse the dust, haven't had time to clean 'er up lately!

It should have one like this:

#21 ·
That's a pretty big leap there Tyler. I personally have had this in the last three NEW vehicles that I've owned from two different manufacturers, and would also have been surprised if I suddenly ran out on a snowy crappy day. Not everyone lives in a warm climate.... Jeesh...

#14 ·
Of my last eight vehicles, none have had that "feature". One more thing to break, IMO. I certainly wouldn't want them to raise the selling price of these trucks another $25 to have it.
Maybe someone at GM should be fired for not including that feature!!!:lol:

Seriously, just check it now and then. If it's that critical to you, keep a jug in under the back seat in case of emergency.

#17 ·
Has anyone else noticed how trivial the complaints are getting???

You can get a vehicle with all of those things like leather heated seats remote start laser headlights self leveling super stereo monster engine etc. etc. etc. Just don't look for it at a price point the average person can afford. Why did you decide you needed a truck? Why do you think a truck should have the same features as a Bentley? Why do you complain that the price is over 30k but it doesn't have _____. Why not just buy a Bentley and remove the trunk lid- Voila! Just what you're looking for. Problem solved, you can thank me now.

Okay, rant over.

O.P., this wasn't aimed at you, you were just asking a question and looking for a helpful response. I was reacting to the large number of posts in various threads from people I considered were out of touch with reality.
I agree to a point... I haven't read all of the complaints, so I can't say what's a fair complaint and what isn't. But come on people -- it's a truck, and a pretty **** good truck at that. Are there a few things that GM could've included, at least as options at the higher price points? Sure. There are probably a few things that are on the FS trucks that they didn't include here that are head scratchers. But they're so minor I can't even think of one right now and they never bother me when I'm actually driving the truck. (Except for a heated steering wheel - really just kidding, but my wife's SUV has that and the SLT Sierra I drove had it, too. I would've used the **** out of that this winter!!!)

This windshield fluid warning thing, though, I'm pretty sure there isn't a warning. I know I've had warning lights or messages on some prior vehicles, so whether it should or shouldn't be on these new vehicles - I don't know. It's something easy to include, but to me, it's part of owning a truck - I still check the tire pressure with a tire gauge, not some app on my phone. (Ok, maybe I did use the DIC to check it once, too.) I like to have a regular maintenance schedule with my vehicles (even the ones with windshield washer fluid monitors or whatever they're called), so this is just one extra thing to look at when I do my regular checks.

#16 ·
I think you are wrong...that's MY opinion.....it's an internet forum where people are sharing ideas....that's what it's for! You think it's trivial don't read it....

Is a washer fluid warning required? No but it would be nice and for the cost of a sensor (probably <$1) why shouldn't it be included? When you start approaching $35K and up on a vehicle people expect some things...

Ok, my rant over...

#18 ·
Well...it certainly costs more than $1 for a sensor, plus the wiring, plugs, and lamp on the dash.

Maybe in the north this is a bigger issue than it is down here in Texas but I've never needed a warning lamp. It either sprays fluid or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I add more.

#30 · (Edited)
LOL!

And now I am too! We're mad as HeII and we're not going to take this anymore!!!

#22 ·
Every once in a while the shop will 'add to fluid' during my oil change.

I have to ask myself a question.....I wonder why because I don't remember using it. I don't remember the last time I purchased a gallon of fluid. I personally have very limited reasons for use. It is either dry, or raining. Unlike when I lived in the east and required it all the time. Back in the 90's though, I always had a partial jug and a full jug and I'd check it routinely during the winter - because I knew I was going through it.

For those who use it often understand it will run out and usually keep it with them.

#23 ·
Rest easy my children, when the US Government requires a washer warning then ye shall have them standard, not a model year sooner,..... meanwhile should you find your tank empty, do what all the old geezers on here remember doing, before windshield washers, Dad would order us out of the car and we would scoop up slush, snow, what have you with our bare hands and throw it onto the windshields for a quick clean, and we liked it! Every half mile......... Things like this make you check without relying on warning bells, lights, buzzers, dingers, monitors or whatever.

#28 ·
Just a side note here, my wife's 2013 CHEVY Traverse has a low fluid warning. My previous 2006 Pontiac Torrent had it as well. They are hardly luxury vehicles. I'll get over not having a low fluid warning and still love my Canyon, but there's really no reason for the feature not to be included since it's something that comes standard with other vehicles made by Chevy and GMC. That being said I'm all filled up again and ready for another trek through the Ohio snow and salt so life goes on.

#29 ·
All vehicles should really have this indicator light. Having multiple drivers using the same vehicle, you never know how much fluid is in the resevoir and being -40 Celsius today in Canada doesn't make for a pleasant situation if you need to pull over while stuck in traffic on the highway. I think many drivers and truck owners can relate to this frustration and scratch their heads when something so simple goes a such a long way... Rant over... :).

#33 ·
I am not a programmer, but once you have added a Driver Information Center (DIC) to the instrument panel, seems like adding some type of warnings for anything is pretty easy. It doesn't require a new light on the instrument panel, just a little programming.

I would suggest that some type of notification that you were in 4WD would be much higher on my priority list than the low level windshield washer solution, and my truck is just 2WD.

#34 ·
Funny, living in Seattle for the last 8 years I have never refilled the washer fluid on any of my, or the wife's vehicles. I am guessing that it rains enough here that I don't find myself needing to clean the windshield. Anyway I guess a warning signal would help but really just fill it once in awhile. Maybe every time you have the oil changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.