Dash disassembly - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Dash disassembly

Has anyone found instructions to disassemble the dash in the twins? I'm specifically looking to remove the silver trim ring around the radio to mock up a custom phone mount. I've found YouTube videos for the 2014 Sierra, which show the frame being secured by snap clips, but even with considerable pressure, my Canyon doesn't want to give up the trim and I don't want to break it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 03:45 AM

Garage
dash.jpg

Does this help ?

Hal
2015 GMC Canyon
I-4 and Manual Transmission !
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 07:20 AM

Here's a replacement bezel sans silver trim, that shows that the silver trim is held on with 6 clips, two at the top, and 4 at the horizontal cross member.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. You diagrams were very helpful to get the frame off.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 06:07 PM

Sorry to dredge up a dead thread, but this is the closest thing I've found anywhere...

Anyone know how to remove the piece below the #9? Everything is locked into place and seemingly being held there by another overlapping piece. It's like everything is overlapped by something else.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScotty317 View Post
Sorry to dredge up a dead thread, but this is the closest thing I've found anywhere...

Anyone know how to remove the piece below the #9? Everything is locked into place and seemingly being held there by another overlapping piece. It's like everything is overlapped by something else.
Well, Number 9 is a clip, that holds the plastic piece with the small cubby in the center in place.

I don't remember the thread, but I believe Savagebob described how to remove. It may have involved more force than you want to use, but need to see if you can find that thread.

Darn, I am good, here is the thread I was remembering.

Power plug and usb plate removal?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 06:36 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DasGoob
From experience, this is what you should do:

Using the diagram you can see above, you will not the the panel UNDER #9 (not the screw that IS #9) is where your seat heater switches and the nearly useless chapstick holding compartment. This piece is held in place by 6 spring tabs. I bought some plastic trim removal tools (any auto store has them and WORTH the money). One that has a 90 degree angle is ideal

Follow the panel down below the chapstick holder and all the way until it meets the panel that has the USB and 12VDC power outlets. You should feel that this is where the two panels are separate. Put the 90 degree trim removal tool in between these two pieces at the VERY CENTER of the panel. This will split the two spring tabs in the back. Either pry or pull the panel with the seat heaters/chapstick holder STRAIGHT BACK (toward the shifter, tailgate, back seat, you..... however you want to look at it). If you do this, those two spring tabs will pop free and then you can use your fingers and effort to keep pulling straight back and free the remaining 4 spring tabs, one at a time.

Bit of a pain but it works.

DasGoob
"Nothing is foolproof when you have a sufficiently talented fool"
'16 Colorado, Summit White, Z71 mud mats, LED everything in cab, LED cargo and B/U lights, LED bed lights, 12VDC outlets bed, Undercover Flex, Pop n Lock for Tailgate, LED front Turn signals, LED Tail lights, LED Rock Lights, 32" LED Light Bar in bumper, Weathertech mud flaps, Rocky Road Outfitters rock sliders, Patriotic Z71 decals, Elite Catch Can, Dash Cam

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 PM

Thank you guys for the speedy response! I'm gonna hit the store and get a set of trim removal tools -- I've done this on every vehicle I've owned but never sprung for a set of tools specifically for the job.

I'm going to rig an amplifier volume knob for a sub in the useless chapstick holder (oddly enough, that's what I kept in that spot this past winter). I'll post pics once it's all done.

Cheers!
- Justin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 PM

Anybody remove the silver trim and want to sell it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode