Console Vault now made for the twins - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 74Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
savagebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: S FL
Posts: 2,398
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest t View Post
Thanks for the photos. I'm going to order one. Wife has been concerned about me keeping a pistol in there with no lock on the console. How fast can you unlock the thing with the 4 digit lock system?
That depends on how many of the numbers you actually move to lock it.
All 4 take maybe 10 seconds with my eyesight. Quicker if you can read the small numbers faster. Keep it unlocked while you are in the truck and lock it when you have something inside and you see blue lights flashing in your rearview.
matt2858 and DigitalDan like this.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
savagebob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 01:01 AM
Senior Member
 
savagebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: S FL
Posts: 2,398
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.wild View Post
would someone mind measuring the opening of the vault for me? I can't seem to find the dimensions and it looks like it might be a tight squeeze for what I am thinking
What are you wishing to put in there. The opening angle and door intrusion make the simple dimensions of the opening rather irrelevant. May have something on my end that I can try. Desert Eagle maybe?

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
savagebob is offline  
post #43 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
savagebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: S FL
Posts: 2,398
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post
Well, I know what my next mod is. This looks sharp. I used to hide my pistol under the tray of my ZR-2's center console. Most people don't even realize the old ZR-2 has a compartment under the tray in the center console. I think I owned the truck for 5 or 6 years before I discovered it. No such thing in the new Canyon so this vault looks like a great option.

-Curtiss
I had a ZR2 and that was a nice feature. Pretty easy for GM to incorporate that type of tray in our deep Twins consoles. ZR2 was a bargain compared to what you get now for a whole lot more money.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
savagebob is offline  
 
post #44 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 01:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Definitely Not
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
What are you wishing to put in there. The opening angle and door intrusion make the simple dimensions of the opening rather irrelevant. May have something on my end that I can try. Desert Eagle maybe?
If that fits what I had in mind will fit
Chris Drennan likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab Short Box 4x4
b.wild is offline  
post #45 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
That depends on how many of the numbers you actually move to lock it.
All 4 take maybe 10 seconds with my eyesight. Quicker if you can read the small numbers faster. Keep it unlocked while you are in the truck and lock it when you have something inside and you see blue lights flashing in your rearview.
Good idea. Hadn't thought about leaving it unlocked while in the truck, but that makes perfect sense.
Ernest t is offline  
post #46 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
CrashFix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Posts: 942
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post
Well, I know what my next mod is. This looks sharp. I used to hide my pistol under the tray of my ZR-2's center console. Most people don't even realize the old ZR-2 has a compartment under the tray in the center console. I think I owned the truck for 5 or 6 years before I discovered it. No such thing in the new Canyon so this vault looks like a great option.

-Curtiss
It also took me a while to find that hidden lower compartment in the 2001 ZR2 I bought used, but not 5 or 6 years! lol. Weird thing was, when I did find it, it smelled kind of "skunky" in there, I wonder what the previous owner kept in that hidden compartment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
I had a ZR2 and that was a nice feature. Pretty easy for GM to incorporate that type of tray in our deep Twins consoles. ZR2 was a bargain compared to what you get now for a whole lot more money.
I have to agree, I loved that two piece Console set-up as well! I also liked the fitted rubber liner in both the inner console trays & outer console storage area, made clean up way easier. You would think when the manufactures have a good idea like that, the would keep using it, but no such luck. I guess those things went the way of the Dodo bird, along with lighting under the hood, in the glove box, in the floor area etc

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
CrashFix is offline  
post #47 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 10:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 224
So, can someone confirm that the center console is the same on the Colorado as the Canyon. Console Vault shows the Chevy Colorado vault, but nothing for GMC Canyon.

Thanks!
Ernest t is offline  
post #48 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
savagebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: S FL
Posts: 2,398
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest t View Post
So, can someone confirm that the center console is the same on the Colorado as the Canyon. Console Vault shows the Chevy Colorado vault, but nothing for GMC Canyon.

Thanks!
Call the manufacturer. He is extremely helpful. I would think they are the same, but I would check before placing the order.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
savagebob is offline  
post #49 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:48 PM
Junior Member
 
Shifty Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest t View Post
So, can someone confirm that the center console is the same on the Colorado as the Canyon. Console Vault shows the Chevy Colorado vault, but nothing for GMC Canyon.

Thanks!
Installed into my 16 Canyon this afternoon, same fit, same install, no problems. Should have no problems fitting a full size 1911 all the way down to a Sig 238
Carlos31820 likes this.

For those who came home.
For those who never came home.
For those who have yet to come home.



Last edited by Shifty Raven; 12-24-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Shifty Raven is offline  
post #50 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Raven View Post
Installed into my 16 Canyon this afternoon, same fit, same install, no problems. Should have no problems fitting a full size 1911 all the way down to a Sig 238
Good to hear, since I have a Canyon. Mine has been ordered but not shipped yet. I've got a Beretta 92 to fit in there.
Ernest t is offline  
post #51 of 133 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 221
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest t View Post
Good to hear, since I have a Canyon. Mine has been ordered but not shipped yet. I've got a Beretta 92 to fit in there.
Same here. Ordered but not shipped yet. I'm also going to put my Beretta 92 in the vault.

-Curtiss
phxdsrtrat is offline  
post #52 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 224
Got my vault today, but there were no installation instructions. Could somebody that has installed one give me a quick walk through, or scan the instructions and PM them to me or post them? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait to have the company mail me some instructions. Looks pretty simple with 2 screws through the sides, but how do you remove the sides of the console to get to the inner box?

Thanks!
Ernest t is offline  
post #53 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 221
Garage
I got my console vault today also and it had no instructions for the installation. This is what I plan to do...

1. Slide the vault in place and then marked the hole location with a pick.
2. Carefully drilled two 3/16" holes using a right angle attachment for my drill at each marked location inside the console.
3. Using a ratchet install the 2 self tapping screws from the inside of the console.

I may additionally using a little construction adhesive when I install it. Although I believe it will be secure with the 2 screws I don't plan on ever removing it so I feel like the adhesive is a little extra insurance since we can't bolt this thing to the floor like most other console vault installations.

I've seen instructions somewhere on this board for removing the console and doing a more secure install using different hardware. Not sure if it's in this thread or somewhere else.

-Curtiss
phxdsrtrat is offline  
post #54 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Member
 
menginer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 33
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest t View Post
Got my vault today, but there were no installation instructions. Could somebody that has installed one give me a quick walk through, or scan the instructions and PM them to me or post them? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait to have the company mail me some instructions. Looks pretty simple with 2 screws through the sides, but how do you remove the sides of the console to get to the inner box?

Thanks!
Read post #20, #21, #38 of this thread for unofficial instructions by savagebob.
StoopidOme likes this.
menginer is offline  
post #55 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: N.W. Pa. Emlenton
Posts: 349
Phxdsrtrat. Please post after you install vault and let us know how it went. Was thinking of doing the same thing. Thanks
Navy Chief is offline  
post #56 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 221
Garage
Everything worked out fine. The self tapping bolts went in no problem. I put a some construction adhesive on the bottom to do double duty as an insulator to prevent rattles and of course it will add a little more holding power. I went back and looked at how SavageBob did it and I do believe the fender washers provide some additional strength along with not have the bolt head inside the console vault taking up unnecessary room. Definitely the better install but this was much easier. I need to locate some rubber caps to put over the screws heads. This is probably something Console Vault should probably look at including if this is the way the intend it to be installed.



-Curtiss
phxdsrtrat is offline  
post #57 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 224
Got my vault installed today using savagebob's instructions. I even used fender washers, but I used the existing bolts by grinding off the tips so they wouldn't extend past the nutserts.

I mounted my Fobus holster to a piece of 1/4" plexiglass which I mounted to the side of the vault. This is a very tight fit for a full sized gun as can be seen by the photos. I may eventually remove some of the interior latch bracket material on the left side to make for a smoother draw. It is also a tight fit for the USB port due to the interior latch bracket on the right side.



Ernest t is offline  
post #58 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
savagebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: S FL
Posts: 2,398
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest t View Post
Got my vault installed today using savagebob's instructions. I even used fender washers, but I used the existing bolts by grinding off the tips so they wouldn't extend past the nutserts.

I mounted my Fobus holster to a piece of 1/4" plexiglass which I mounted to the side of the vault. This is a very tight fit for a full sized gun as can be seen by the photos. I may eventually remove some of the interior latch bracket material on the left side to make for a smoother draw. It is also a tight fit for the USB port due to the interior latch bracket on the right side.


Nice job. It is a smallish interior. I just keep a short extension cable in the port and use that for phone and usb stick. I might even disconnect factory data cable and provide a 1.5 amp 5v power supply for the jack to make a speed charging port. I don't carry any full size firearm so it is perfect for most of the pocket 9mm pistols.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
savagebob is offline  
post #59 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 221
Garage
I hadn't thought about mounting a holster to the wall of the vault. That's a great idea!

-Curtiss
phxdsrtrat is offline  
post #60 of 133 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 221
Garage
Inspired by Ernest t's holster mount I have created something similar for my Console Vault...







The heavy duty spring clip allows me to change out the holster (I created a similar setup for the inside of my gun safe).

Behind the black felt on the back are 10 3/4" rare earth magnets. These are extremely powerful and I've used them in other applications. They should hold the mount securely to the inside of the vault.

I'll post of a pic of it mounted inside the vault after the epoxy holding the magnets has had time to cure (24 hours). I did a basic test fit without the magnets and it's tight but my Taurus 92F just barely fits. My Sig 938 fits with no problem as it's much smaller and the firearm I plan on keeping in there most of the time.

-Curtiss
matt2858, Baybilly and Mickh557 like this.
phxdsrtrat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome