Console Vault Installed
This is going to be as brief as I can post and still talk you through the process. The entire process took 1 hour and half of that was time spent scratching my head trying to make it more difficult than it really was.
All you really need for tools is a drill and drill bits, and a 5/16 wrench or socket.
The SDM module for the airbags is underneath the console, so no drilling, beating, or loud swearing in this location.
1) Pull the rear console trim panel (with the 2 USB ports) straight back to release the 4 spring clips. Unplug the 4 wire connectors.
2) Pull the console shifter trim bezel up and off completely. Same clip attachments.
3) Pull the entire console storage compartment upwards and off. It has 8 clips as seen in the pics. It is not necessary to remove the console arm rest, just open it. Don't lift it up much, just enough for you to get your hand under the USB port to unplug the connector.
4) With the center section on the bench, test fit the vault.
5) Push the vault all the way down and run the supplied screws (drilling point 1/4 x 20 thread) FROM THE INSIDE OF THE VAULT through the nutserts into the plastic just enough to see the console plastic buldge on the outside. You are marking the hole locations for drilling. Remove the screws and remove the Vault. I used a angle drill to drill through from the inside of the console, first, with a 1/8" short bit. Then you can drill out the small holes with a 1/4" bit from the outside.
6) I used my own stainless 1/4" x 20 tpi screws because I did not want the drill bit point of the supplied screws sticking into the console and taking skin and gun metal off every time I reached in there. You will have to size the screw length properly if you want them to be flush on the inside. The nutserts stick out anyway so I found some plastic caps and siliconed them in place to give the job a finished look. I used 2 fender washers behind the bolt heads to get them flush with the nutserts. I think the screw length was around 5/8" to 3/4" long, but I forgot to measure them. I also used blue Locktite because you cannot get to these without removing the center of the console again.
7) Put everything back together and have another beer. Don't forget to plug in the connectors for all the USB ports and back lighter socket.
The vault has all the corner vertical joints cut back for clearance around the Twins raised corners inside the bin. That does not compromise security when it is installed. The outer reinforced console shell and structure is quite robust and super stiff.
2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
Last edited by savagebob; 04-02-2016 at 07:23 AM.