Console Vault now made for the twins - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Console Vault now made for the twins

Finally a fantastic reputable gun and/or otherwise safe is custom made for the twins! I cannot wait to order (as soon as my Canyon comes from the factory).
Chevrolet Colorado
TexazReece and kellvsshi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 06:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2858 View Post
Finally a fantastic reputable gun and/or otherwise safe is custom made for the twins! I cannot wait to order (as soon as my Canyon comes from the factory).
Chevrolet Colorado
Got one. Waiting to install. Will post pics. I've installed 2 in Tahoes already. Very sturdy construction. Twins console shape is a little strange, but very deep.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

Last edited by savagebob; 09-21-2015 at 06:28 AM.
post #3 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 PM
WPG

Garage
awesome

post #4 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebob View Post
Got one. Waiting to install. Will post pics. I've installed 2 in Tahoes already. Very sturdy construction. Twins console shape is a little strange, but very deep.
Thank you! Cannot wait for the truck and to do the install.
post #5 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:09 AM
WPG

Garage
Quote:
Got one. Waiting to install. Will post pics. I've installed 2 in Tahoes already. Very sturdy construction. Twins consoles shape is a little strange, but very deep.
Any pics yet?
post #6 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG View Post
Any pics yet?
No not yet. Haven't found time to do the install. The seats have to be removed and the console side plates removed to attach the vault.

The Tahoe model only attached to the bottom screws already holding the console to the floor. Much quicker install than ours.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #7 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Def need pics!!

2016 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain Quicksilver Crew Cab -SB - Nav - Bose - Trailer pckg -
Ordered 9/12/2015,TPW 10/12/2015, Shipped/In Transit 10/17/2015, TOOK DELIVERY 10/31/2015!
post #8 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 02:38 PM
cj3

does it have the slot for the usb port?
post #9 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM

Garage
Does it take up all of the space in the console?

-SPONSORS-
| BAJA DESIGNS |
| BDS-SUSPENSIONS | KILLERWAXX SOCAL |
| LIVERNOIS MOTORSPORTS | RHINO-RACK |

2015 Colorado Z71 4x4
BDS Suspensions 7" lift | 22x12 -44 Grid Off-Road GD-4
325/50/22 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro

post #10 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
Does it take up all of the space in the console?

Yes. It has a cutout portion that allows the ridge that the ports are located on to protrude into the vault. For the record, I don't plan on posting every detail on the net to show the bad guys how to defeat it. I will post an honest review whenever I get around to installing it and living with it for a week or so.

I will say it is a quality part and that the security is decent enough to keep anyone out of it unless they have stolen the truck and have unlimited time to open it.

The Tahoe units had approximately 1.5 inches above the vault door when the outer console door was closed. You could still keep some items, cell phone on top of the vault door and still close the console lid. I expect the Colorado/Canyon vault to be the same. They offer a key lock, and a 3 number or 4 number combination lock.

post #11 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3 View Post
does it have the slot for the usb port?
Yes, all the ports are accessible from inside the vault.
matt2858 likes this.

post #12 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Def need pics!!

You will see some before your truck is delivered

post #13 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:16 PM

10-minute install?

Quote:
No not yet. Haven't found time to do the install. The seats have to be removed and the console side plates removed to attach the vault.

The Tahoe model only attached to the bottom screws already holding the console to the floor. Much quicker install than ours.
The Console Vault website says "easy 10 minute installation." I'm guessing that if you have to remove the seats, it's going to take longer than 10 minutes.

2015 Colorado CC SB Z71 4x4 Black
post #14 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvdbeek View Post
The Console Vault website says "easy 10 minute installation." I'm guessing that if you have to remove the seats, it's going to take longer than 10 minutes.
Tahoe was about 10 minutes. The Twins Vault has side attachment points. I am assuming there are no screws in the bottom of the console interior. To get to the side of the console where the bolts have to go, the console side covers need to be removed. They are large and the seats prevent removal of them.

post #15 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:59 PM

subscribed - looking forward to your review

Jeff
post #16 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

So how hard is it to remove the seats? And can't you just put the seat either way forward or way back and access it?

2016 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain Quicksilver Crew Cab -SB - Nav - Bose - Trailer pckg -
Ordered 9/12/2015,TPW 10/12/2015, Shipped/In Transit 10/17/2015, TOOK DELIVERY 10/31/2015!
post #17 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
So how hard is it to remove the seats? And can't you just put the seat either way forward or way back and access it?
Seats are not difficult to remove. You have to do a little moving back and forward to access everything. I pulled the passenger seat already for another project. Be careful with the big electrical connector which has a lock tab on it. I tried removing the console sides with the seats in place and it just won't work for me. Just make sure you have the front hooks engaged properly in the slots before installing the 2 rear bolts.

post #18 of 136 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 PM

Garage

*This thread is useless without PICS*

Not very good at this hurry up and wait thing!
lol
Naterules and matt2858 like this.
post #19 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Still waiting for pictures as well... I contacted them last month:

matt2858 likes this.
post #20 of 136 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 05:43 PM

Garage
Console Vault Installed

This is going to be as brief as I can post and still talk you through the process. The entire process took 1 hour and half of that was time spent scratching my head trying to make it more difficult than it really was.

All you really need for tools is a drill and drill bits, and a 5/16 wrench or socket.

The SDM module for the airbags is underneath the console, so no drilling, beating, or loud swearing in this location.

1) Pull the rear console trim panel (with the 2 USB ports) straight back to release the 4 spring clips. Unplug the 4 wire connectors.

2) Pull the console shifter trim bezel up and off completely. Same clip attachments.

3) Pull the entire console storage compartment upwards and off. It has 8 clips as seen in the pics. It is not necessary to remove the console arm rest, just open it. Don't lift it up much, just enough for you to get your hand under the USB port to unplug the connector.

4) With the center section on the bench, test fit the vault.

5) Push the vault all the way down and run the supplied screws (drilling point 1/4 x 20 thread) FROM THE INSIDE OF THE VAULT through the nutserts into the plastic just enough to see the console plastic buldge on the outside. You are marking the hole locations for drilling. Remove the screws and remove the Vault. I used a angle drill to drill through from the inside of the console, first, with a 1/8" short bit. Then you can drill out the small holes with a 1/4" bit from the outside.

6) I used my own stainless 1/4" x 20 tpi screws because I did not want the drill bit point of the supplied screws sticking into the console and taking skin and gun metal off every time I reached in there. You will have to size the screw length properly if you want them to be flush on the inside. The nutserts stick out anyway so I found some plastic caps and siliconed them in place to give the job a finished look. I used 2 fender washers behind the bolt heads to get them flush with the nutserts. I think the screw length was around 5/8" to 3/4" long, but I forgot to measure them. I also used blue Locktite because you cannot get to these without removing the center of the console again.

7) Put everything back together and have another beer. Don't forget to plug in the connectors for all the USB ports and back lighter socket.

The vault has all the corner vertical joints cut back for clearance around the Twins raised corners inside the bin. That does not compromise security when it is installed. The outer reinforced console shell and structure is quite robust and super stiff.
Skyshroud and menginer like this.

Last edited by savagebob; 04-02-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode