Steering Wheel Replacement - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Steering Wheel Replacement

I am thinking of changing out the steering wheel in my WT colorado as the current one is actually a different steering wheel than the one in the LT and Z71. It is thinner and harder. Mine also does not have steering wheels controls for the radio.

What I am wondering if the wires to control the radio are already ran behind the wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 05:25 PM

Garage
If the WT is available with radio control buttons as an option, then probably. But, you will have to have the dealer flash the BCM to recognize them to use. I did this on my wife's LS Camaro, along with adding bluetooth for hands free phone use.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 11:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmetf150 View Post
I am thinking of changing out the steering wheel in my WT colorado as the current one is actually a different steering wheel than the one in the LT and Z71. It is thinner and harder. Mine also does not have steering wheels controls for the radio.

What I am wondering if the wires to control the radio are already ran behind the wheel?
Better to get an aftermarket setup.
Steering wheels don't have wires that go through the steering column. That would twist around and short circuit in a few months. They use a wind up "clock spring" for the airbags. All of those buttons send different voltage signals to the associated computers as data bits to request a response. I don't think GM is providing dealers with any way to upgrade vehicles to more features with software upgrades.

I couldn't even add keyless entry to our 2011 Chevy 2500 HD WT. Got the remotes paired to the receiver, but no one can get the required calibration software for the truck to make it respond to the lock/unlock request.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17

Last edited by savagebob; 02-13-2016 at 11:25 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Took the truck to the dealer today to inquire about replacing the steering wheel and reprogramming the BCM. They said they could install it but couldn't guarantee it would work. Something about the radio and truck options are tied to the VIN number and since my didn't have it to begin with, he didn't know if it would take the new programming.

He did say my truck had all the parts it needed (ie spring, airbag, retainer, etc.) just wasn't sure about the flashing BCM would hold.

Here is the steering wheel I was going to get and have them install:

2015 Colorado Canyon Steering Wheel New 23331083 Ebony Black Leather | eBay
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:10 PM

let me know if this works out, I was considering doing the same thing in my Canyon.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:48 PM

Has anyone does this? Does it work on the first generation trucks with 2015 steering wheel?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 01:29 PM

did you end up getting this done op?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I have gotten the steering wheel installed. They attempted to update the BCM today but, they couldn't figure out what to dol. They aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. After calling a GM tech number to ask the process, they informed me they couldn't tell me because I didn't work for the dealership. They said have the dealer call them and they will walk them through it. I go back next week.

FYI - they are going to charge me $100

Edit: The cruise control buttons that I had on the original steering wheel still work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steeringwheel2.jpg (117.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg steeringwheel1.jpg (131.5 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by Coloanyon; 01-23-2016 at 01:48 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 05:32 PM

great. Thanks for the update OP! I wonder if you can't get the additional controls to work if you can swap the dummy piece from the right side of the old steering wheel
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:25 AM

I'll have to subscribe to this thread for when the heated steering wheel ever comes out.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Its a no go on getting the BCM updated for the steering wheel. The manager of the service department was on the phone with GM for over and hour. Bottom line is GM will not release the update for the steering wheel to anyone right now and was unable to provide a time they will. I will recheck at a later date.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse1 View Post
great. Thanks for the update OP! I wonder if you can't get the additional controls to work if you can swap the dummy piece from the right side of the old steering wheel
I actually attempted to do this. I ended up breaking it though trying to get to the dummy plate. The trim peice i removed has 6 holes/clips thar snap on. What you cant really see and what i broke is the trim peice is also molded in to the steering wheel. Technically it still pops back in, it is just loose and rocks back and forth.

As you can see, the dummy plate looks to be held on by some type of rivots. You can also see that the plug for steering wheel controls is already there behind the dummy plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iinsidesteeringwheel1.JPG (131.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Iinsidesteeringwheel2.JPG (124.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg dummyplate.JPG (108.1 KB, 129 views)
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to flashesbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloanyon View Post
I actually attempted to do this. I ended up breaking it though trying to get to the dummy plate. The trim peice i removed has 6 holes/clips thar snap on. What you cant really see and what i broke is the trim peice is also molded in to the steering wheel. Technically it still pops back in, it is just loose and rocks back and forth.

As you can see, the dummy plate looks to be held on by some type of rivots. You can also see that the plug for steering wheel controls is already there behind the dummy plate.
Sorry, i don't mean to high jack your post but you have some valuable information here for me. I am interested in painting that silver trim piece. (would like to locate a spare first). Why did id brake? think it could be removed without braking it?
I was looking on a GM Parts website, and i can only buy a whole steering wheel for $75 bucks.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 PM

This is an interesting topic and will most likely come up again once the Denali trim is released. The heated steering wheel is the only feature of the Denali I want and I am hoping to be able to add it once I can get a steering wheel from one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I have gotten the steering wheel installed. They attempted to update the BCM today but, they couldn't figure out what to dol. They aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. After calling a GM tech number to ask the process, they informed me they couldn't tell me because I didn't work for the dealership. They said have the dealer call them and they will walk them through it. I go back next week.

FYI - they are going to charge me $100

Edit: The cruise control buttons that I had on the original steering wheel still work.
if they cant get the radio controls to work there's another way, if you install an after market radio that allows factory controls there is a box you buy and program with your computer to give it the right commands for the radio, that's how they make it work for trucks who have steering wheel controls but a basic radio and upgrade to a double din.

This is the piece i am referring too this is the one for the canyon

http://maestro.idatalink.com/product...audio_id/10146

Last edited by Ghost_Canyon; 02-12-2016 at 11:45 PM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Canyon View Post
if they cant get the radio controls to work there's another way, if you install an after market radio that allows factory controls there is a box you buy and program with your computer to give it the right commands for the radio, that's how they make it work for trucks who have steering wheel controls but a basic radio and upgrade to a double din.

iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR
That looks great! Appreciate you posting a link to it.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashesbuck View Post
Sorry, i don't mean to high jack your post but you have some valuable information here for me. I am interested in painting that silver trim piece. (would like to locate a spare first). Why did id brake? think it could be removed without braking it?
I was looking on a GM Parts website, and i can only buy a whole steering wheel for $75 bucks.
I took some close ups of where it broke. Two places on the side and one on the top or bottom. The first two pics are of the steering wheel and the third is the back side of the dummy plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iinsidesteeringwheelcloseup1.jpg (251.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Iinsidesteeringwheelcloseup2.jpg (151.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Iinsidesteeringwheelcloseup3.jpg (165.4 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Coloanyon; 02-13-2016 at 06:20 PM.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Canyon View Post

iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR
That looks great! Appreciate you posting a link to it.

no problem bro as long as you have all the needed wires that item will make them work with an after market radio even the controls on the back side of the steering wheel
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Dealership replaced my squeaky, rattling steering wheel last Thursday. It's been solid and excellent since. Not a peep. Much better fit & finish, everything seems be "tighter" if that makes any sense. No vertical or side to side movement in the airbag cover at all.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Its a no go on getting the BCM updated for the steering wheel. The manager of the service department was on the phone with GM for over and hour. Bottom line is GM will not release the update for the steering wheel to anyone right now and was unable to provide a time they will. I will recheck at a later date.
Would you happen to have an update on this?

I have a 2017 WT and I'm actually thinking about doing something like this, but want to get cruise control as my base model WT doesn't.

Please let me know!

Steering wheel I'm thinking about getting to add cruise control:
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrol...steering-wheel

Not sure if they could just hook it up and flash the BCM. I have no idea what that all entails.

Last edited by r3gul8r; 02-27-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode