Poor Seat Heaters? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:41 AM
Dre

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dre
I have a 2015 Canyon, May 2015 build date, my seats also get hot in less than 5 minutes. It has been in the 30's and they heat up quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:43 AM

My heated seats suck hardly get warm, they don't compare to my other cars heated seats. The next time I take my truck in for a recall or service I will mention it.
post #23 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief2016 View Post
i'm trying my best to convince you guys, you are being had. That's the purpose of my starting this thread. if your seats are not getting "hot" on high, to the point you have to turn them down within 5 minutes, they are not functioning properly compared with mine and some others that have posted in this thread. that being the case, what you are experiencing in not "normal". And should be fixed under your warranty. It is entirely possible gm had a problem with them that has since been resolved and the dealers are totally unaware there was a "bad batch" installed in the new trucks. Granted, i am a cold natured "thin person" without much of a butt, but i assure you mine gets hot enough to be very uncomfortable on the high setting for more than about 5 minutes. read through the entire thread and then decide if you want to settle for your dissatisfaction.

THIS, EXACTLY... Chief said everything there is to say and I just wanted to stress his point. My seats get HOT. If yours aren't, then something's not right.
zozmanGMC likes this.

Build: 2016 Colorado LT | CC | LB | 3.6L V6 | 2WD | Laser Blue | Jet Black Leather | LT Convenience/Luxury/Safety/Trailering Packages | Bose | Navigation | OEM Spray-On Bedliner
Exterior Mods: OEM Black Bowties | OEM Wheel Flares | Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite & Personal Caddy | Rough Country Bed Access Nerf Bars | OEM Cargo Tie-Downs | SuperBumper SU424 Chrome
Interior Mods: 3M Color Stable Window Tint: 20% Front, 35% Back/Rear, 50% Windshield w/ 20% Strip | OEM Premium All-Weather Floor Liners

post #24 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 01:13 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DasGoob
These seats in my '16 Colorado are the quickest heating seats I have ever had, especially compared to my '04 Avalanche and my '11 Ford Flex. No doubt the quickest. If you are not impressed by the speed, you have a defect. Period.
Speedtorch and zozmanGMC like this.

DasGoob
"Nothing is foolproof when you have a sufficiently talented fool"
'16 Colorado, Summit White, Z71 mud mats, LED everything in cab, LED cargo and B/U lights, LED bed lights, 12VDC outlets bed, Undercover Flex, Pop n Lock for Tailgate, LED front Turn signals, LED Tail lights, LED Rock Lights, 32" LED Light Bar in bumper, Weathertech mud flaps, Rocky Road Outfitters rock sliders, Patriotic Z71 decals, Elite Catch Can, Dash Cam

post #25 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:09 AM

Compared to my Hyundai Azera, the seats in my 2016 Colorado are nuclear powered! They get very warm, very quickly. You will feel it much more sitting in the seat versus just placing a hand on it to feel the warmth. If your seats are not getting very warm, very quickly, you should take it to the dealer for repair. You might also want to have the Service Manager/Tech sit with you in one or two new trucks for sale on the lot, and compare those seats to yours. If your seat heaters are under performing, the comparison should show...Unless the new truck's seats aren't working either.
post #26 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 AM

Garage
Here is a 11 minute temp difference without sitting in the seat.

After the second pic I sat down and waited a few minutes to remove the chill off of my jeans, it read 85 at that point.

I wont speculate if the seat sensor adjusts the temp on if someone is sitting in it or not, or if it was my body heat helping it, but the 85 temp was uncomfortable.
CrashFix and low-tec like this.

Last edited by kevbz; 07-31-2016 at 12:48 PM.
post #27 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:59 AM

Garage
I have a 15 Canyon SLT & my (leather) seats will get hot enough on high that they become uncomfortable in under 10 mins, even at -20C (-4F). Even on low they are a bit warm for my liking if I'm on a longer drive, so sometime's I'll turn off the bottom heater & just use the back heater. Hard to say if they heat up as fast as some others are saying, but I have no complaints.

It seems most with the 16 models say their seats are "rocket powered", and those that do have complaints are 15 owners, so maybe there's something to this? (has anyone complained about a 16?) Maybe the seat material plays a part in this also, but any material should still heat up after 10 or so mins if the heaters are working properly.

The heated seats will turn on during a remote start, but that feature must be enabled in vehicle personalizations & it must be below a certain temperature. It's a bit confusing as the heated seat indicator lights don't come on and when you get in & turn the key on the heaters shut off. So you have to hit the switch if you want them to stay on.

It's been my experience that I can barely tell the seats have warmed up at all on remote start. That might be because they're probably set to "low" & because of the relatively short run time during a remote start. Also according to the manual, "The temperature performance of an unoccupied seat may be reduced".

I recall last winter some people were taking heat guns to their seats to try & determine if they in fact do turn on during a remote start. I've been tempted to try that myself, so that should tell you how well mine heat up on a remote start.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #28 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbz View Post
Here is a 11 minute temp difference without sitting in the seat.

After the second pic I sat down and waited a few minutes to remove the chill off of my jeans, it read 85 at that point.

I wont speculate if the seat sensor adjusts the temp on if someone is sitting in it or not, or if it was my body heat helping it, but the 85 temp was uncomfortable.
Great test!

It would be interesting to see a similar test done comparing the front & rear seats after a remote start. That would give a good idea how the seats heaters work during a remote start.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #29 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:48 PM

I don't use remote start much, so I can't really attest to that.

With a person in the seat, they warm up fine, I would say typical as compared to other heated seats I have had. Haven't worried about no person in seat, again, I rarely use remote, although we are approaching a time where I may begin to do so.

A person in the seat is going to speed up the heat process with both the heat of their tush and the pressure pushing the seat surface against the heater.

My wife hasn't complained about failure to heat, she does turn her's down after 10-15 minutes usually.

I can think of some humorous off color comments about this, but don't want to upset the censor police. In the end, I think much of the issue may be a personal preference/sensitivity, although the person with a portion of his seat not heating sounds like he has a real issue.
Navy Chief likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #30 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:38 PM

I think I will get mine looked at because I can drive 11 miles and they are just starting to warm up and even then are not that warm. This in my book is not good enough.
post #31 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNoto View Post
I am having a problem with my driver's side seat bottom heaters. Only the back 4" work. The rest of the seat bottom under my legs does not work. Seat back heater works fine. I have a Flir Thermal Imager and it shows the problem clear as day (passenger's side works perfectly). I am going to give it to the dealer and see what they say without mentioning the Flir. If the tell me everything is ok, I am going to grab the manager and my thermal camera and let them have it with both barrels. I am so tired of the B.S. I get from the service department.
I have this exact same problem. I will be going to the dealer this week.
post #32 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old 96 View Post
I think I will get mine looked at because I can drive 11 miles and they are just starting to warm up and even then are not that warm. This in my book is not good enough.
I don't think miles is a good indicator for an electric seat heaters, seat heaters efficiency should be pretty much a straight time issue.

If your truck has been sitting outside soaking in 0 deg temps all night, I don't think the seat heaters are going to be warm and cozy in 10 minutes. Probably was 10 minutes before mine were noticeably warm with this morning's 33 degrees.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #33 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 PM

Woke up to 25 degrees this morning....while I didn't want heated seats, it came in my Z71 package. All I gotta say is, I LOVE these things. Where have they been my whole life??? After driving for 10-15 minutes, had to pull over to take my jacket off as it was THAT comfy.
Sure hope whatever problems you have with yours, the dealer can patch you up.....definitely something I will ever do without in any future vehicles.
JBT and Speedtorch like this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #34 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:54 PM
JBT

Garage
This was my first surprise when I started the truck with the key fob on a cold morning and got in it. My seats were warm! My seats heat up pretty fast and get so warm I have to turn them off. I'm not sure why everyone's seats don't work like that?

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 01-05-2016 at 09:09 PM.
post #35 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 11:44 PM

Went to dealer today and complained about this issue. I was basically told to pound sand. Dealer stated there's no fix. Didn't have time to get into a heated.....no pun intended....argument with the guy so I just left.
post #36 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondoggy View Post
Went to dealer today and complained about this issue. I was basically told to pound sand. Dealer stated there's no fix. Didn't have time to get into a heated.....no pun intended....argument with the guy so I just left.
Your dealer is full of sand. Normal operation on high will run you out of the seat after about 5 min. or so.
JBT likes this.
post #37 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
I don't think miles is a good indicator for an electric seat heaters, seat heaters efficiency should be pretty much a straight time issue.

If your truck has been sitting outside soaking in 0 deg temps all night, I don't think the seat heaters are going to be warm and cozy in 10 minutes. Probably was 10 minutes before mine were noticeably warm with this morning's 33 degrees.

Well gee Cary. I don't think your heaters are any better than mine. As an experiment the other day I pulled the truck out of the garage "55* in the garage" and headed for Menards. 30 minute drive. After 30 minutes they were still only just warm. They never get hot enough.

My old beater Monti Carlo still has some good seat heaters. Way better than the new Colorado.

My wife has a little toy Poodle that puts out more heat while sitting in your lap than those seat heaters in that new truck.

post #38 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old 96 View Post

My wife has a little toy Poodle that puts out more heat while sitting in your lap than those seat heaters in that new truck.

there must be an underlying joke about the poodle / hot dog.

In all seriousness though, my seat heaters (SLT Canyon with leather) are adequate at best. No comparission to the wife's BMW X1 with the M package. Those seat heaters are both much faster to warm up and much warmer than mine. I'm not complaining but they should be a bit stronger.

2015 GMC Canyon Quicksilver Metallic access can,3.6L SLT 2WD
HID's, tint, LED reverse and cargo lights, bed mat,tailgate extender, sill plates, aux led reverse lighting, Trifecta advantage tune, more to come.
post #39 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:26 AM

Been using mine the last few days, I only use low and I feel the heat within 2 minutes.
JBT likes this.

2016 GMC 2WD Short Bed SLT in Cyber Gray.
Towing package, Bose, Nav, and Driver alert
post #40 of 199 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
Your dealer is full of sand. Normal operation on high will run you out of the seat after about 5 min. or so.
Most definitely TRUE. Mine will burn you up if you leave them on more than 5 minutes or so. Typically I only use the lowest setting.
JBT and Speedtorch like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode