Poor Seat Heaters? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Poor Seat Heaters?

I've read complaints about the seat heaters not getting "hot". I guess this must be a '15 issue. I used my driver's seat heaters for the first time this morning and, WOW! Thought it was going to burn my butt, but good. Got hot quickly and had to turn it down. I'm pleased with mine. Hope those not satisfied can get a "fix" under warranty.
jerryv and Speedtorch like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:12 PM

I have A 15 GMC Canyon, Seat heaters suck, don`t even get warm, had into the dealer two weeks ago, dealer said seat heaters working as designed. Looking to get some aftermarket seat heaters installed.
Melloreel likes this.
post #3 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010renegade View Post
I have A 15 GMC Canyon, Seat heaters suck, don`t even get warm, had into the dealer two weeks ago, dealer said seat heaters working as designed. Looking to get some aftermarket seat heaters installed.
Tell your dealer he's full of it and if he doesn't take appropriate action to make this right you will have the GM Regional Manager in to "discuss this issue with him". After reading the complaints from others, I was amazed with how hot mine get. I have a '16 Colorado Z71. There may be a difference in temp. between cloth seats and leather, I don't know, but it shouldn't be much.
post #4 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:41 PM

Garage
I have a 2016 Z71 as well and the seats will straight up roast you if you let 'em. Might be because of the fabric center in the seat, I don't know. Love that they turn on when they sense that the temp is cold with the remote start. Great feature.

2016 Colorado Z71 "Stormtrooper"
Summit White
CC LB
post #5 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystof View Post
I have a 2016 Z71 as well and the seats will straight up roast you if you let 'em.
I have a 2016 LT and this has been my experience as well. They get hot pretty quick. I was impressed.
cowtipper256 likes this.

Build: 2016 Colorado LT | CC | LB | 3.6L V6 | 2WD | Laser Blue | Jet Black Leather | LT Convenience/Luxury/Safety/Trailering Packages | Bose | Navigation | OEM Spray-On Bedliner
Exterior Mods: OEM Black Bowties | OEM Wheel Flares | Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite & Personal Caddy | Rough Country Bed Access Nerf Bars | OEM Cargo Tie-Downs | SuperBumper SU424 Chrome
Interior Mods: 3M Color Stable Window Tint: 20% Front, 35% Back/Rear, 50% Windshield w/ 20% Strip | OEM Premium All-Weather Floor Liners
post #6 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 04:22 PM

Have a 2015 and mine seem to work. They don't get hot enough to burn my butt, but after 10 minutes or so I have to turn them down or off.
zozmanGMC likes this.
post #7 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 05:33 PM

Navy Chief is right on. On my 2016 GMC Canyon, the heated seats are very comfortable and heat up immediately. Once they heat up, I have to turn them off and they stay warm a long time after that. They seem to get warmer faster and hotter than the seats in my previous 2011 GMC Sierra. The heated seats in my 2013 Jeep Wrangler take all day to get luke warm. The wife says its because the leather is thicker. Huh?

zoz

2017 GMC Canyon Denali (build 01/05/17)
post #8 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 05:56 PM

Garage
My 2015 Canyon SLT seats take a long time to warm up and under perform. I have no idea what the surface temperature should be when fully warmed up, but low and med settings are a waste of time.
dlluinstra and jtittle22 like this.

2015 Canyon SLT 4x4 3.6L V6
BOSE System
NAV & Driver Alert Package
post #9 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 06:14 PM

Looking at getting something like this. Temperature Controlled Auto Heated Seat Cushions | CozyWinters
post #10 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:52 PM

Garage
I am having a problem with my driver's side seat bottom heaters. Only the back 4" work. The rest of the seat bottom under my legs does not work. Seat back heater works fine. I have a Flir Thermal Imager and it shows the problem clear as day (passenger's side works perfectly). I am going to give it to the dealer and see what they say without mentioning the Flir. If the tell me everything is ok, I am going to grab the manager and my thermal camera and let them have it with both barrels. I am so tired of the B.S. I get from the service department.

‘16 Colorado LT CC LB Duramax - Brownstone, Bose, Luxury Pkg, Safety Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Trailering Pkg/Locking rear diff, Wheel flares, BORA 1.5" wheel spacers, Iron Cross Patriot Running Boards, Line-X. Planned mods: Zone 1.25" level. SOLD: '15 Colorado LT V6. Threw kitty litter on that turd....... and dumped it!
post #11 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjaw View Post
My 2015 Canyon SLT seats take a long time to warm up and under perform. I have no idea what the surface temperature should be when fully warmed up, but low and med settings are a waste of time.
Have fixed/replaced under warranty. Don't settle for the "that's normal" line, It isn't.
jabberjaw likes this.
post #12 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystof View Post
I have a 2016 Z71 as well and the seats will straight up roast you if you let 'em. Might be because of the fabric center in the seat, I don't know. Love that they turn on when they sense that the temp is cold with the remote start. Great feature.

My seats also get super warm and quickly. However, with my '16 Z71 I have yet to see them turn on when I use my remote start. I'm in Iowa, temps have been pretty low. Thought I would have experienced it by now. Do you have to have the seats turned on before you shut the truck off?
post #13 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 08:39 PM

Garage
my seats in my 15 Colorado Z71 are OK but not great. I just assumed that with the leatherette seats that's the way it was. Today driving the wife's Subaru Outback was a world of difference. Cloth seats in the Outback and my but was hot in minutes..might have to look into this more now that the temps are dropping and I'm using it more frequently.

keep on keepin' on
post #14 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanstiss View Post
My seats also get super warm and quickly. However, with my '16 Z71 I have yet to see them turn on when I use my remote start. I'm in Iowa, temps have been pretty low. Thought I would have experienced it by now. Do you have to have the seats turned on before you shut the truck off?
You may need to look in the menu settings, theyare probably disabled with remote start. I thought there were enabled by default, bu if you say they are not on then they are disabled now.

OR, like the other 85% percent of people, they say they don't work well until you are sitting on the seat. It's been a common complaint for the past year, that they aren't warm enough with remote start and only once you get in do they get warmer.

I suggest starting with your menus though to ensure they are actually enabled for use during remote start.
post #15 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanstiss View Post
You may need to look in the menu settings, theyare probably disabled with remote start. I thought there were enabled by default, bu if you say they are not on then they are disabled now.

OR, like the other 85% percent of people, they say they don't work well until you are sitting on the seat. It's been a common complaint for the past year, that they aren't warm enough with remote start and only once you get in do they get warmer.

I suggest starting with your menus though to ensure they are actually enabled for use during remote start.
I will try the menus. I know the seats work well regardless of sitting on them or not. I have started the truck in the garage and manually turned the seats on to come back in 5-10 minutes and wonder why I set them on the high setting because they are so hot when I get in the truck.
post #16 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:30 PM

The manual may also specify how to enable them in the menus. I've read it on the forums but I don't own the truck. I know it's in the menu though to enable/disable.

During last winter when some of the complaints began a common follow up from others was to ensure it was actually enabled during remote start.
post #17 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 09:45 PM
LS3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberjaw View Post
This is my experience also, they are subpar compared to all the other heated seats I've owned from various manufacturers. It's not worth my time to make a special appointment at my dealership, I'll probably mention it the next time I'm in there.

2015 Colorado LT V6 4x4: Fully Loaded Minus 18's, OEM Soft Fold Tonneau, OEM Bed Mat, OEM Fender Flares, 265/65r17 DuraTracs

post #18 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 10:40 PM

Took mine in to the dealer because the drivers side gets lukewarm on full heat (finally feels warm after about 45 minutes), and the passenger seat only seems to get warm in a golf ball sized area on the seat.

They said they brought in the general manager's 2015 Colorado and measured his seat temperature, and since they matched mine, they had to call it normal.

The system uses heated zones rather than a full grid (I believe there are four on each seat and four on each back).

They are the most under-performing heated seats I've ever had in a vehicle.

2015 Colorado Ext. Cab Z71 4X4 (4/15 build date):
Bose, nav., sliding rear window, factory spray-in bed liner, fender guards, Rallyarmor UR mudflaps, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, door sill protectors, BNR tune.

post #19 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 View Post
This is my experience also, they are subpar compared to all the other heated seats I've owned from various manufacturers. It's not worth my time to make a special appointment at my dealership, I'll probably mention it the next time I'm in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
Took mine in to the dealer because the drivers side gets lukewarm on full heat (finally feels warm after about 45 minutes), and the passenger seat only seems to get warm in a golf ball sized area on the seat.
They said they brought in the general manager's 2015 Colorado and measured his seat temperature, and since they matched mine, they had to call it normal.
The system uses heated zones rather than a full grid (I believe there are four on each seat and four on each back).

They are the most under-performing heated seats I've ever had in a vehicle.
I'm trying my best to convince you guys, you are being had. That's the purpose of my starting this thread. If your seats are not getting "hot" on high, to the point you have to turn them down within 5 minutes, they are not functioning properly compared with mine and some others that have posted in this thread. That being the case, what you are experiencing in not "normal". and should be fixed under your warranty. It is entirely possible GM had a problem with them that has since been resolved and the dealers are totally unaware there was a "bad batch" installed in the new trucks. Granted, I am a cold natured "thin person" without much of a butt, but I assure you mine gets hot enough to be very uncomfortable on the high setting for more than about 5 minutes. Read through the entire thread and then decide if you want to settle for your dissatisfaction.

LS3 and Speedtorch like this.

Last edited by Chief2016; 01-01-2016 at 11:15 PM.
post #20 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 01:10 AM

^^^^ Totally agree. Mine get very very hot in a matter of a few minutes. You guys are being lied to...

2016 GMC Canyon SLE
All-Terrain
Black Exhaust Tip
GMC Mud Flaps
Tech Armor MyLink Shield
Cardinal Red

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode