Seat rattle - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By savagebob
  • 1 Post By Chief2016

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Seat rattle

So I've been trying to pinpoint a rattle/clunk sound I've been hearing in my truck for a couple months when I'm driving alone over bumps and rough terrain and I've finally found it coming from the passenger seat. I took a glance under it and didn't see any obvious loose fasteners but I didn't look too hard either, does anyone else have this issue and know a fix? Going to see if I can work the problem after work tonight...

Here's a video demonstrating the issue: https://youtu.be/IvDcem-synk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 PM

My 2016 Colorado has the same sound coming from the passenger seat. At first I thought it was the seat belt clip hitting the side but have pretty much ruled that out at this point. Hope someone has an answer for the issue, would be nice to shut the thing up.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeMelanson View Post
My 2016 Colorado has the same sound coming from the passenger seat. At first I thought it was the seat belt clip hitting the side but have pretty much ruled that out at this point. Hope someone has an answer for the issue, would be nice to shut the thing up.
I've been hunting that rattle for weeks. Thought it was seatbelt clip. Eliminated that. Then rattle in door. This eliminates that. It's the seat also. 2016 Z71 EC. Glad I saw (and heard) the video. Thanks! Now I know what to tell the service dept.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:56 PM

Garage
I had that problem too. I fixed it with a 5'4" 115 lb blonde sweetheart in the passenger seat. Now the noise coming from the seat is different......

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:15 PM

It's a known problem to dealers in Australia not sure what the fox has been. Though I hope it's the blonde option.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLTZ View Post
It's a known problem to dealers in Australia not sure what the fox has been. Though I hope it's the blonde option.
A Freudian Slip no doubt.
phxdsrtrat likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
A Freudian Slip no doubt.
Double slip...and how appropriately relevant.

-Curtiss
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post
Double slip...and how appropriately relevant.
-Curtiss
I'm a little slow tonight. Oh, I get it!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 01:03 PM

Garage
Fold the rear seat down. Recline the front seat. Move the front seat back until it hits the rear seat. This will quiet everything down. I only do this if I am going to drive solo for a while.

20015 Colorado LT, Crew Cab, Long Box, Cyber Gray Metallic.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbull007 View Post
So I've been trying to pinpoint a rattle/clunk sound I've been hearing in my truck for a couple months when I'm driving alone over bumps and rough terrain and I've finally found it coming from the passenger seat. I took a glance under it and didn't see any obvious loose fasteners but I didn't look too hard either, does anyone else have this issue and know a fix? Going to see if I can work the problem after work tonight...

Here's a video demonstrating the issue: https://youtu.be/IvDcem-synk
Alright mine does this, but it is not as loud. Maybe it is the quality of the camera microphone that makes it seem really loud. This weird thing I do to shut mine up is to place pressure with my fist on the left side of the seat between the console and belt buckle lock. I don't know why it works, but it does it for the moment. I just put maybe 10-15 pounds of pressure on that bracket/seat and it stops.

Also, is your truck fitted with aftermarket exhaust? I don't remember mine sounding that good on the inside.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:47 PM

Did anyone happen to find a fix to this? My passenger seat has a bad rattle as well...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:36 PM

My new 17 has this ever so slightly

My new 17 has this ever so slightly as well. Nothings perfect

2017 Graphite Metallic Z71 Colorado Crew Cab
3.6L 8sp auto 4x4 with Locking Rear Diff
American Tonneau Tri-Fold Tonno Cover
Bed Rug
Lund 5" Oval Stainless Side Steps
WeatherTech Splash Guards
Finish protected by Chemical Guys & Turtle Wax
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Red Rock View Post
My new 17 has this ever so slightly as well. Nothings perfect
Not sure this is what is causing the OP problem, but for those getting a rattle, I was having a bad rattle on my rear passenger side seat. Kept thinking it was something with the seat belt mechanism. after searching, I found that the trim piece on the side of the seat where the lever is has a broken mounting tab. Had a broken tab on the trim piece on the center rear seat as well (although that one wasn't causing any noise)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 02:03 PM

my passenger seat was rattling to and the fix that i found in my case was to slide the seat foward one click and it stoped. but i also found the rear door extented cab door panel was really loose so i took the handle part section off to find one bolt missing and the other hanging by a coulpe of threads
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:52 PM

Garage
I still think it's amazing how expensive these trucks are and the amount of interior rattles. I already ripped by passenger door apart and fixed the speaker/harness rattle. Now my driver door is doing the same thing and I have a number of rattles in the driver dash/pillar.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Did anyone happen to find a fix to the seat rattle? Mine has the same loud rattle over bumps. It sounds like it's going to come out of the cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode