Driver side carpet soaked - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimsailor00 View Post
I think I need to be worried. I bought a CPO 2016 Colorado with 19k miles on it. I have taken it to the dealership once for the driver's side door leak and, while better, it still leaks. I am about to take it to the dealer again.

My worry is that this vehicle has been leaking for its 19k/12+ month lifespan and that the carpet could be chalked full of mold and mildew.

For anyone that has demanded new carpet, how hard did you have to fight to get it?
In your case, it doesn't hurt to ask. Keep a couple things in mind. The Service Manual prescribes drying and odor elimination (specifically for mold and mildew) procedures for wet carpet. Also, carpet replacement is laborious due to the fact that at least one front seat needs to be removed - depending on the location of the leak - in addition to other trim. It also costs GM the price of the carpet, which was listed at over $100 for the front section I mentioned.

Regardless, I'd fight for it. Beyond odors, all of the electrical components in that area are at risk for corrosion; untreated areas of the floor pan could rust from residual moisture. At minimum, I'd ask to have the carpet removed to be completely dried out. Have them show you the section of carpet and make sure it's dry if they refuse to replace it. Also, water could be funneling into other areas of the cabin undetected; make sure they check on that too and follow up behind them yourself.

In my case, as soon as I stepped out of my truck to greet the service manager, it was the first thing I said. He nodded in agreement. Of course, the truck had little more than 100 miles at that point.

Seth G.

2016 Canyon Base - 3.6L 2WD Extended Cab. Build date: 08/03/2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM

driver side carpet wet

I have a 2012 Colorado and I also noticed the carpet wet only by the door sill. The carpet under the drivers and passenger floor mats have normal winter dampness, I noticed the drivers side seat belt bolt is rusty and the seat belt webbing is wet about 3 inches up. I was thinking that water is possably coming up through the bolt threads or through the drivers seat rear mounting bolt as it is very wet in those areas.We just went on a day trip driving 300 km's , it rained very hard the whole trip there and back.Was wondering if this leak problem is happening while driving in rain all day or is it leaking while parked. The carpet is only wet from the center door pillar back and front about 10 inches. When I took all the plastic trim off and pryed the carpet up to allow a heater fan to day it out for 3 to 4 days ,I did notice that I could see daylight threw where the rocker panel joins the cab. Thinking that is where the water is spraying up from the front tire and getting into the cab from those air gaps.I have applied silicone adhesive along the outside rocker panel gap hoping that will solve the problem.Would like to know if others or the dealers have found this to be the problem of water getting into the cab making the carpet wet.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugdogmoose View Post
I have a 2012 Colorado and I also noticed the carpet wet only by the door sill. The carpet under the drivers and passenger floor mats have normal winter dampness, I noticed the drivers side seat belt bolt is rusty and the seat belt webbing is wet about 3 inches up. I was thinking that water is possably coming up through the bolt threads or through the drivers seat rear mounting bolt as it is very wet in those areas.We just went on a day trip driving 300 km's , it rained very hard the whole trip there and back.Was wondering if this leak problem is happening while driving in rain all day or is it leaking while parked. The carpet is only wet from the center door pillar back and front about 10 inches. When I took all the plastic trim off and pryed the carpet up to allow a heater fan to day it out for 3 to 4 days ,I did notice that I could see daylight threw where the rocker panel joins the cab. Thinking that is where the water is spraying up from the front tire and getting into the cab from those air gaps.I have applied silicone adhesive along the outside rocker panel gap hoping that will solve the problem.Would like to know if others or the dealers have found this to be the problem of water getting into the cab making the carpet wet.
Welcome to C'Fans TDM

You will notice our conversations here are regarding the 2nd Gen Colorado/Canyon, whereas your issue is for a Gen 1, so help here won't be so quick to answer (unless they were a previous Gen 1 owner with the issue).

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Welcome to C'Fans TDM

You will notice our conversations here are regarding the 2nd Gen Colorado/Canyon, whereas your issue is for a Gen 1, so help here won't be so quick to answer (unless they were a previous Gen 1 owner with the issue).
I was not sure what first gen and 2 gen means, how do i find this issue on a 1 gen colorado
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugdogmoose View Post
I was not sure what first gen and 2 gen means, how do i find this issue on a 1 gen colorado
1st gen is 2004-2012
2nd Gen is 2015+

After looking at the 1st gen section selection, I honestly don't know where you would post your issue.

Hey @Toughsox...
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
1st gen is 2004-2012
2nd Gen is 2015+

After looking at the 1st gen section selection, I honestly don't know where you would post your issue.

Hey @Toughsox...
My 1st Gen (which is still in my driveway with my son as the owner) never got a drop of water in it except that one time I left the drivers window open overnight in a rain storm..... hey, it happens.

You mentioned seeing a gap of daylight. Not sure why you would be seeing that as your truck is not that old to developing rust this soon. I'm wondering if it was ever in an accident and something shifted. Anyways, while silicone may plug up the gap you saw, you should at the least spray some undercoating over the affected areas from underneath. Can't hurt.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 AM
JBT

Garage
One problem the first generation Colorados had and mine had was a leak in the third brake light. This would allow water to come down the back wall of the cab and soak your rug behind the drivers seat and move forward. I'm not sure it sounds like your problem, but it was known to be a problem with the third brake light seal. There were also leaks in the earlier models through the fire wall into the front drivers floor. I would ask in the first generation section and maybe a moderator could move your post. Your truck is pretty new to have the rocker panels rusting though. My 2007 was was 9 years old without any visible rust.
Toughsox likes this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 03-21-2017 at 12:32 AM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:04 AM
KMW

Hmm. Seeing this issue makes me wonder of my choice of rubber flooring was good in my ZR2! If it leaks and gets wet under the rubber, there's no way I would know about it. Until it started to smell mildewy!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 PM

Wet floor board on new 2017 CCLB

My leak was noticed within the second week of delivery. I returned it to the dealer and they found an issue with a seal between door and window. I also believe some water can enter if the plastic knock outs for electrical wires in the floor are pushed out of place.

Be sure to check beneath the floor boards to ensure those rubber / plastic pieces are seated correctly.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
One problem the first generation Colorados had and mine had was a leak in the third brake light. This would allow water to come down the back wall of the cab and soak your rug behind the drivers seat and move forward. I'm not sure it sounds like your problem, but it was known to be a problem with the third brake light seal. There were also leaks in the earlier models through the fire wall into the front drivers floor. I would ask in the first generation section and maybe a moderator could move your post. Your truck is pretty new to have the rocker panels rusting though. My 2007 was was 9 years old without any visible rust.
I do recall mine having a bad seal, but it only added water to the inside of the lens as it was only the top part of the gasket that fell down after assembly. . I suppose mine wasnt that bad that it never got in. But I did wind up replacing the lens when it started getting green mold inside of it. Thankfully it came with a new gasket so it definitely went on right the 2nd time around.

Also, mine is 12 years old and no visible rust either. I am a washing fanatic though.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode