Seat Upholstery - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryw View Post
Interesting. If you find out more can you update this thread? My invoice from the dealer shows a cover is in order, not the cushion. So maybe they've got a revised cover on the way.

Hopefully whatever changes are had that Khatzkin will follow as well if its related to the covers :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

I found a fix. Used black cloth tape It's like duct tape but thicker and has a surface like canvas. Unclipped the loose plastic strips, I have three, both front and driver side by console. Lined the metal frame with one layer of tape and then reinstalled plastic runners. They have stayed in place so far. If anyone gets the TSB number please post.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:40 PM

I'm having the same problem on my passenger side front seat, so annoying

2016 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4 CCLB Duramax

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Have the car at the dealer now. They're saying they can't get the cover to stay on so they're ordering a new cushion. But it's on back order and may be a couple weeks. Fun fun fun.

They replaced my cover it lasted 3 days, they ordered a frame and they have my truck now. We shall see when I get it back

2016 Colorado Z71 Quad Cab Laser Blue
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb View Post
They replaced my cover it lasted 3 days, they ordered a frame and they have my truck now. We shall see when I get it back

Dang that sucks. They don't have my cover in yet. I was hoping it'd be in because it's been in the dealer's body shop all week after being broken in to last weekend. I'll have to take another morning to drop the thing off whenever they get it in. Turning in to a bad luck truck it feels like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2016 Canyon All Terrain Adventure
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Dang that sucks. They don't have my cover in yet. I was hoping it'd be in because it's been in the dealer's body shop all week after being broken in to last weekend. I'll have to take another morning to drop the thing off whenever they get it in. Turning in to a bad luck truck it feels like.

I love the truck, I just want the seat fixed. They could probably glue it with a good panel boning adhesive.

post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:00 PM

Garage
Quote:

Picked it up a little bit ago, seems fixed. Will update you if it breaks again.
perryw likes this.

post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 10:26 PM

Garage
Cover was replaced on Friday and it was loose today. Less than 30 miles driven. I'll call on Monday and suggest the frame. Right at 700 miles on it now.

post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 AM

Garage
I'm at 13,000mi on my 16, been unclipped since day one. every time i reach down and reattach it it pops off in a matter of minutes. My z71 leatherette is also tearing on the left rear side by the seat belt attachment. I had heard of a redesigned seat cover for that fix, so they might be incorporating it all into one...I figured I'd wait it out until 35,999 miles, give them time to figure it out and get the most out of my new cover
DrewNJ likes this.

2016 Cyber Grey Colorado Z71, 4x4, CCSB, Bose, nav, trailer package

BDS 5.5" lift, 20% tint, Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/65/18, Fuel 18x9 Recoils, 5" running boards, K&N CAI, Air dam trimdown to aprox 2" lip, Weatherguard black saddlebox, GM floor liners front and back. LineX

HID conversions, interior LED swap, cargo, reverse, lic plate, fog lights, and switch-back LED's, Rough Country LED bar, toolbox lights, bed rail LEDs, Canyon leather armrest swap
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbs22 View Post
Darn im pretty sure they shouldnt have to be cut but i could be wrong
They must do that to save time.

They sure don't cut them off at the dealership when they replace the seat heater elements.
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Cover was replaced on Friday and it was loose today. Less than 30 miles driven. I'll call on Monday and suggest the frame. Right at 700 miles on it now.

That sucks. But mine is still holding up, so I think that was the problem.

post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:38 PM

I also have the same problem with my 2016 Colorado, driver's seat seat upholstery clips keep coming off. I was going to take some duct tape and tape the plastic part of the clips to the metal frame of the seat...good idea or bad?
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator13 View Post
I also have the same problem with my 2016 Colorado, driver's seat seat upholstery clips keep coming off. I was going to take some duct tape and tape the plastic part of the clips to the metal frame of the seat...good idea or bad?
Tried that....didn't work.
I'm looking at something like this if a dealer fix doesn't work.
http://www.comdir.co.uk/Products.asp...steners-DType/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:41 AM

I put a very thin bead of Gorilla liquid glue along the inside of the plastic channel and put it back in place. Blocked it up in place with a couple of 5" wood blocks by lowering the seat until it was firmly held where it belonged and the next morning removed the blocks. It hasn't moved for three months and is solid as a rock. I don't think there is anything that will be fixed by new seat covers or seat frames. It's a defective design and the channel needs fixed to the seat frame so it can't come loose when the weight of a passenger or driver releases the pressure from the seat cover that is supposed to keep it in place. I declined letting the dealer replace the seat cover because I didn't want to risk that the new cover wouldn't look right when it wasn't going to fix the problem anyway.

Dan Forker
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan W. Forker View Post
I put a very thin bead of Gorilla liquid glue along the inside of the plastic channel and put it back in place. Blocked it up in place with a couple of 5" wood blocks by lowering the seat until it was firmly held where it belonged and the next morning removed the blocks. It hasn't moved for three months and is solid as a rock. I don't think there is anything that will be fixed by new seat covers or seat frames. It's a defective design and the channel needs fixed to the seat frame so it can't come loose when the weight of a passenger or driver releases the pressure from the seat cover that is supposed to keep it in place. I declined letting the dealer replace the seat cover because I didn't want to risk that the new cover wouldn't look right when it wasn't going to fix the problem anyway.

Dan Forker

Still holding up with the new frame been close to a month now

post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan W. Forker View Post

Dan Forker
Thanks Dan,
I did this a few weeks ago exactly the same way and it has held great. No signs of it even thinking of coming loose.

Before this I couldn't get more than a few days and it was getting worse!
Doug

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 06:57 PM

Garage
I saw the gorilla glue idea and thought of gorilla tape. Put a strip of 1" wide tape over the edge of the frame and it's held for a few days now. For comparison the new cover lasted less than a day. Someone mentioned the fabric tape up thread.

The dealer emailed me and said they have a new "service procedure" from GM and want me to bring the truck in. I haven't asked for more info about that, mainly because they only offered me a ride or to pick the truck up, not a loaner car.

post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 10:48 AM

I took mine (16, Z71, Midnight) to the dealer yesterday to have them start the process of getting this fixed. (They have not been connected since Day 1). They told me there as a bulletin for this problem. Bulletin# PIT 5524. I was unable to find this anywhere online.

They told me it would take about a day for fix and that the front seats would need to be removed. I don't really know if I want them to do that or not. Things never seem to go back in the way they come out.
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 05:58 PM

Took my Khatzkin seats that were as well the clips pulling loose, they stated they have had the problem before. They gave me a choice of using screws which required pulling out the seats to anchor the plastic strips / clips or a 2 part liquid adhesive injected in the clip. Used the injection and no issues pulling loose over the last 2 months.... :)
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:40 PM

Thumbs up Two Sided Moulding tape

I used two sided moulding tape, after two trips to the useless dealership I read some guys were using gorilla glue and/or tape. I had some two sided moulding tape left over so I gave it a try. That plastic fastener is on there forever now, it'll never come off, not even if I want it to.
sdickens1124 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode