Dash rattle solved - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Can't believe I'm seeing this thread a day after noticing a small vibration coming from the passenger's side. 2017 Canyon Denali. Going to check it today!
Welcome to the club, we've got t-shirts.

2016 GMC Canyon SLE, 4x4 (All-Terrain)
Cyber Grey, Navigation, Bose System
Trailering Package, Spray-in bedliner
Fold-a-cover, Air Dam REMOVED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priminition View Post
Welcome to the club, we've got t-shirts.
Welp, glovebox screws were not the issue. They were tight as can be. I'm wondering if it's my sunglasses in the tray above my head.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:47 AM

So I took a look yesterday and noticed some scary and glaring things. First, lets go over some background. I had a period of time where I could't get heat from the HVAC system, so I took it in and the dealership with warranty in hand. The dealership told me that I had a cracked heater door and they needed to fix it by dismantling the entire dashboard. Relunctantly, I had no choice to say but "go ahead", but was fearful of any creaks and squeaks that might happen once it is re-assembled.

So the dealership "fixes" the HVAC and put the dash back together. Instantly I have heat on demand so I'm happy AND no squeaks day one or two....BUT after a week I start to hear some squeaks near the passenger side. The squeak became a metallic rattle over time. I crawl under the dash and take a poke around and finally found the culprit. I find that there is a missing screw (which I'm still trying to identify) that holds a metal bracket to the back of the dash and is rattling against another metal piece.

So I keep poking around some more and notice that there is an additional screw missing from the plastic tubing of the HVAC on the passenger side. And then I find that there has been THREE DIFFERENT SCREWS put back into place to hold the glovebox together. Really? Three different type of screws? WTF Dealership!!!!!! UGH. Now I have to go back for not only one missing screw but now these new problems. Now I'm even more worried that they will rip the dash apart again to replace any other unknown missing or incorrect screws. Thankfully its under warranty, plus they already did shot work once as it is.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:53 PM

When I traded in my 2016 Canyon and took out the stuff that was in the glove box, I found one screw in the bottom. Snugged them all up. N/C to the next owner.

zoz

2017 GMC Canyon Denali
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Glad this thread was found to be useful. I haven't had a rattling problem since and just turned 10K miles.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:29 PM

Garage
Something behind my left fan control knob is rattling/buzzing.... give it a tap and it goes away for awhile then comes back........ grrrrrrrrr.
Mike

15 Colorado 3.6 CC, 08 C6, 90 Turbo MX5
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 10:54 PM

Same thing here. Fan speed is loose and rattles horribly
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71CYBER View Post
I have a metal rattle coming intermittently from the left side on my colorado, thought might be speaker cover grill but nope. Wonder what else could be moving around back there.
Me too. Slight tinny sound, coming from behind the gauge cluster...Very intermittent, and seems to depend on the temperature in the cab...

OFFICIAL Z71 PILOT
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:17 PM

Garage
On my 16 Z71 the rattle from the passenger side turned out to be the ECU mount loose on the firewall under the hood. Pop the ECU out of the plastic mount. Check the bolts there. If it is like mine they are all loose and made a bunch of noise.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:03 PM

Same here! Dealership had to replace the entire HVAC control cluster because the left air control knob buzzed on rough roads unless it was being held! New one is fine... for now!

What's funny, I've heard that same other rattle on the passenger side but I get it more at the driver-side windshield speaker. Usually goes away if I reach up and press down on the speaker cover. Thought about jamming some foam or something between the windshield and that front edge because that seems to make it go away. Definitely going to check the glove box though because I've had that too but it's intermittent at best-way less than the driver side speaker!

Last edited by csufsnwbrdr; 02-08-2017 at 12:06 PM.
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 PM

I went to book an appointment for the mishap by the dealer that I addressed earlier via their online website. The next available appointment was in late March!!! I felt that this was out of the ordinary and contacted their online live chat representatives, who confirmed that the next available appointment was in late March. This was not going to do.

I found a way around that though: I booked an oil change (one of the free ones that I got with the purchase of the truck) that was available in two days. Two days? Yep availability in two days to change my oil. I get that it is a simple oil change but, once it is in for the oil change I will bring my concerns to their attention and get my truck in that way. Hopefully they will honor the warranty I have and the work that they did. Then they can fix it and I don't have to wait until late March to take it in. Crossing my fingers that this will work.
I brought the truck in today at 8:30 for a 9:00 appointment for an "oil change". I threw in the problems I had when they were taking down my mileage. After 2 hours, all problems were fixed and the oil was changed. The oil change was free due to the dealership incentive for buying from them. The missing screws and mismatching screws were replaced. I went to shake the previous loose bracket around and it all looks good.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you in your adventures in this problem, especially if booking an appointment.

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 03:42 PM

Garage
Can someone post a picture of the screws they found that are loose. I have been chasing a rattle for a couple of months now. I was hoping this was my problem but just went to check the glovebox and didn't see anything. Do I need to remove the glovebox completely to get to them?
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
Just checked mine. Two were snug. Two were barely seated. All are tight now. Thanks Skidpuppy. Makes me wonder how many really important bolts aren't tightened.
Honestly it's probably a supplier issue

GM itself more than likely puts a lot more scrutiny in their assembly processes than what one of their suppliers would. It would be a safe bet to say the dash assembly comes from another company. Not an excuse, but the "really important bolts" are put in at the assembly plant.
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:44 PM
dog

Loose ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by svandell View Post
On my 16 Z71 the rattle from the passenger side turned out to be the ECU mount loose on the firewall under the hood. Pop the ECU out of the plastic mount. Check the bolts there. If it is like mine they are all loose and made a bunch of noise.
I think it might be a known, but unpublicized issue. Had this same noise start at about 5000 miles, so I took it in a little early for the first oil change. It sounded like an air damper or something flapping under the passenger side dash. I couldn't hear it at all with a brief listen under the hood. The service rep didn't seem very surprised at the noise, but I didn't find out what it actually was until I picked it up that evening. The funny thing was how sudden it began to to make the noise -- and only at or a little above idle. I believe the rep said the ECU was totally off the firewall and was being held up solely by the wires, but I might have misunderstood. I was mostly relieved they didn't have to pull off the dash to fix the problem. Too big of a chance of messing up the reassembly process.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog View Post
I think it might be a known, but unpublicized issue. Had this same noise start at about 5000 miles, so I took it in a little early for the first oil change. It sounded like an air damper or something flapping under the passenger side dash. I couldn't hear it at all with a brief listen under the hood. The service rep didn't seem very surprised at the noise, but I didn't find out what it actually was until I picked it up that evening. The funny thing was how sudden it began to to make the noise -- and only at or a little above idle. I believe the rep said the ECU was totally off the firewall and was being held up solely by the wires, but I might have misunderstood. I was mostly relieved they didn't have to pull off the dash to fix the problem. Too big of a chance of messing up the reassembly process.
Any chance you could take a picture of the ecu under the hood. I want to check mine but I'm not sure where it's located. Thanks

Living The Dream!
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelly View Post
Any chance you could take a picture of the ecu under the hood. I want to check mine but I'm not sure where it's located. Thanks
See the coolant reservoir in the upper left of the picture? The ECU is underneath/behind it, mounted on the firewall. Its a silver box with a bunch of wires plugged into it.

Mikelly likes this.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:51 PM

Anybody have rattles from the driver-side windshield speaker-UNRELATED to the sound system(Stereo on or off)? I have one that seems to be worse once the truck is in warm/hot weather on decently rough road, but it's hard for me to duplicate much less the dealer. Seems to go away for a little if I wedge my fingers between the windshield and speaker screen but nothing snaps into place. Sounds like a pill in a small vial being shaken for lack of a better description.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode