Dash rattle solved - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Dash rattle solved

First post... been lurking here for a while.

2016 Canyon SLT diesel, one month old. No issues whatsoever except for this.

I developed a rattle in the passenger side dash, sounded like something small rattling around the right dash speaker. Turns out it was a metal bracket just under the top lip inside the glove box. It's held on by 4 or 5 torx screws and most were only finger tight at best. Glad I found it before I had the dealer pull the dash apart.

So, just a quick note if anyone developes anything like this and where to possibly look.

Cheers,
Skidpuppy
JBT, lqdchkn, nspsend and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Skidpuppy; 08-18-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:19 AM

Excellent, so I take it you dropped the glove box and tightened the screws and that helped resolve the rattle?
I have a rattle that comes and goes... So ANNOYING
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidpuppy View Post

I developed a rattle in the passenger side dash, sounded like something small ralleling around the right dash speaker. Turns out it was a metal bracket just under the top lip inside the glove box. It's held on by 4 or 5 torx screws and most were only finger tight at best. Glad I found it before I had the dealer pull the dash apart.

So, just a quick note if anyone developes anything like this and where to possibly look.

Cheers,
Skidpuppy

It happened to my truck too. 2015 Canyon SLT. I did not notice any vibrations, however when I poped the glove box out for something else I found one screw inside the glove box which drew my attention to the other three which were all loose.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusid View Post
Excellent, so I take it you dropped the glove box and tightened the screws and that helped resolve the rattle?
I have a rattle that comes and goes... So ANNOYING
Yep, just opened it and tightened the screws.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 09:03 PM

funny i found a glove box mounting screw in the bottom of the box. the other 3-4 screws were not totally tight and that one either fell out or was never installed
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:13 PM

Thank you, Thank you!

4 - T15 torx screws at the top of the glovebox when you open it. For me the leftmost one was super loose, the remaining three were better but still needed to be tightened. Hoping this was the harmonic rattle with the sound system at certain frequencies (and it didn't take a loud volume). Prior to this quick fix I thought the rattle was coming from either the front right dash or the passenger door, we'll see. I'd rather fix stuff like this myself than let someone else who may not care about details take my interior apart.

2016 Canyon SLT

Update: no more rattle

Last edited by nspsend; 08-20-2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: next day status update
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 07:22 AM

I wonder if this is my issue, I noticed a rattle at times coming from the passenger area this morning.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 AM

I've got a similar rattle. Going to check tonight

2016 GMC Canyon CC SB Black
K&N Blackhawk
MBRP Black Cat-Back
Zone 5.5" suspension + 1.5" body lift
Bushwacker Pocket Flares (currently not on)
18X9 Fast Rigg Wheels
305/70R18 AMP Terrain Gripper
Dipped Badges
Blacked out grille
Tinted Windows
LED Interior Lights
LED Fogs
HID Lows
Trifecta WOT
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Good job OP, you are doing God's work, son. Mine isn't rattling (yet), but I'll give'm a tighten this weekend just to head it off.

2016 Cyber Gray Z-71 v6/4wd/cc/sb (bose, spray-in bedliner, chrome tip)
Mods: plasti-dipped bowties, BAK Revolver X2 tonneau cover, Husky mud flaps and floor mats, Rexing V1 dashcam, NFab 6-step nerf bars
--
What's the difference between a dirty bus stop and a lobster with breast implants? One is a crusty bus station, the other is a busty crustacean.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 04:42 PM

Just checked mine. Two were snug. Two were barely seated. All are tight now. Thanks Skidpuppy. Makes me wonder how many really important bolts aren't tightened.
Andrew24 likes this.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nspsend View Post
Thank you, Thank you!

4 - T15 torx screws at the top of the glovebox when you open it. For me the leftmost one was super loose, the remaining three were better but still needed to be tightened. Hoping this was the harmonic rattle with the sound system at certain frequencies (and it didn't take a loud volume). Prior to this quick fix I thought the rattle was coming from either the front right dash or the passenger door, we'll see. I'd rather fix stuff like this myself than let someone else who may not care about details take my interior apart.

2016 Canyon SLT

Update: no more rattle
i found i only got it when the truck was under load above 90kmh, hopefully its fixed

2015 red hot ext cab z71
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:47 AM

I'll need some help with some identification of a screw. I currently have a large rattle behind my glove box. I opened the glove box and noticed that behind the glove box door there is supposed to be a screw of some sort connecting the dashboard to what looks like a metal bracket behind the glove box, except that it is currently missing. The metal bracket is connected to either a wiring cluster instrument (possible an ECM of sorts) OR it assists the ducting to the HVAC. I can't tell due to the cramped space behind the glove box, but it rattles over every bump in the road so you can imagine how annoying that is.

So if anyone can identify the missing screw, that would be helpful. Here is a couple of pictures of the missing screw. Its hard to tell what is needed with the cramped space. You will see that there is a shiny metal bracket with a triangle shaped metal backing is where the screw is missing.
IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

2016 GMC Canyon SLE
4x4 (All-Terrain)
Cyber Grey
Navigation
Bose
Trailering Package
Spray-in bedliner
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:

I developed a rattle in the passenger side dash, sounded like something small rattling around the right dash speaker. Turns out it was a metal bracket just under the top lip inside the glove box. It's held on by 4 or 5 torx screws and most were only finger tight at best. Glad I found it before I had the dealer pull the dash apart.

Cheers,
Skidpuppy
Would it go away once you start driving? I have a noise coming from the passenger side of the truck as well, but once I start driving it goes away. In park or stopped at a light it'll come back. Sounds more like a ticking sound. Truck has around 900 miles currently.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:35 PM

Garage
I have a metal rattle coming intermittently from the left side on my colorado, thought might be speaker cover grill but nope. Wonder what else could be moving around back there.

2015 Z71Cyber grey 2 Wheel Drive Crew Cab Long bed
Diablosport Trinity T1000 Tuner | Trail Boss Wheels l Duratrac 265/65/17 l Eibach Fronts (2.0") / Rear Shocks l Swaybar reloc brckt l End links l Peragon Bed Cover | K&N Drop in Air Filter | 30% Ceramic Tints | AVS Hood Deflector / Visors | Weathertec Front /Rear Mud Flaps | OEM FLARES l Carbon fiber Vinyl Bow Tie | OEM Bed Liner | OEM Tow Hitch | N Fab Steps | OEM Z71 Floor Mats
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404 Not Found View Post
Just checked mine. Two were snug. Two were barely seated. All are tight now. Thanks Skidpuppy. Makes me wonder how many really important bolts aren't tightened.
No kidding, I've found some dash screws loose too. Do those line workers at GM get liquor breaks or something? (or if not, should they?)

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
No kidding, I've found some dash screws loose too. Do those line workers at GM get liquor breaks or something? (or if not, should they?)
I could imagine that every fastener is installed so it can be SEEN by the QC people but, how tight are they? How would anyone really know?

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:54 PM

i had loose glove compartment screws and one not even in the hole, just laying in the compartment box.
guess the installer couldn't keep up with the line that day.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
i had loose glove compartment screws and one not even in the hole, just laying in the compartment box.
guess the installer couldn't keep up with the line that day.
my window sticker said "some assembly required" in fine print. At least the battery was included right?
Vinolush likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priminition View Post
I'll need some help with some identification of a screw. I currently have a large rattle behind my glove box. I opened the glove box and noticed that behind the glove box door there is supposed to be a screw of some sort connecting the dashboard to what looks like a metal bracket behind the glove box, except that it is currently missing. The metal bracket is connected to either a wiring cluster instrument (possible an ECM of sorts) OR it assists the ducting to the HVAC. I can't tell due to the cramped space behind the glove box, but it rattles over every bump in the road so you can imagine how annoying that is.

So if anyone can identify the missing screw, that would be helpful. Here is a couple of pictures of the missing screw. Its hard to tell what is needed with the cramped space. You will see that there is a shiny metal bracket with a triangle shaped metal backing is where the screw is missing.
Attachment 209489

Attachment 209497
So no luck from anyone as to the screw size? I really do not want to take it to the dealership so that they can have it for a week to fix one screw.

2016 GMC Canyon SLE
4x4 (All-Terrain)
Cyber Grey
Navigation
Bose
Trailering Package
Spray-in bedliner
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 AM

Can't believe I'm seeing this thread a day after noticing a small vibration coming from the passenger's side. 2017 Canyon Denali. Going to check it today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode