Whistle - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jimbarb23 Send a message via MSN to jimbarb23
Thumbs down Whistle

Ok, this is getting old. I have had my Canyon in the shop for the "Cabin air filter door whistle" problem/fix twice now and both times the dealer "fixed" it. Both times as I leave the dealership and get out to the 4 lane and reach 50+ mph I get the whistle back. This last time they really fixed the whistle. They somehow have managed to get a whistle to blow every time I run the fan motor. The higher the fan selection the louder the whistle from the fan plus add the cabin air filter door whistle. I feel like Sheldon on "Big Bang Theory" where he hears a constant C+ whistle. I can not drown out the whistle with the radio, it's nuts. It's doesn't matter with the fan whistle if it is in recalculation or not. I know your going to tell me this is a "dealer" issue but I thought some of you might have figured out a fix for an incompetent dealer, besides another dealer which is some miles away. Thanks in advance and may God bless.

Ordered 3/15/2015
Dealer holding hostage 5/26/2015
Picked up from dealer 5/29/2015
Installed additions:
Rally Armor mud flaps
AVS in-channel vent visors
GMC factory black tow hooks
Ionic factory style running boards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbarb23 View Post
Ok, this is getting old. I have had my Canyon in the shop for the "Cabin air filter door whistle" problem/fix twice now and both times the dealer "fixed" it. Both times as I leave the dealership and get out to the 4 lane and reach 50+ mph I get the whistle back. This last time they really fixed the whistle. They somehow have managed to get a whistle to blow every time I run the fan motor. The higher the fan selection the louder the whistle from the fan plus add the cabin air filter door whistle. I feel like Sheldon on "Big Bang Theory" where he hears a constant C+ whistle. I can not drown out the whistle with the radio, it's nuts. It's doesn't matter with the fan whistle if it is in recalculation or not. I know your going to tell me this is a "dealer" issue but I thought some of you might have figured out a fix for an incompetent dealer, besides another dealer which is some miles away. Thanks in advance and may God bless.
Have you bothered to go look at the cabin filter door yourself to see if it is seated properly? It is behind the glove compartment door. Just swing the door down out of the way and you cant miss it. 2 tabs and the door comes off.
Your truck will be out of warranty some day anyways so you'll want to know how to change the filter down the road......might as well spend the 5 minutes on your own instead of wasting a day going back to the dealer.

Just my opinion.
jrc847 likes this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:26 AM

You do know that you can go to another dealership, either chevy or gmc and have the work done under warranty.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:20 PM

I had an annoying whistle. The rubber trim that covers the slots in the roof were to blame. One was loose near the end closest to the windshield.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:29 PM

My only whistle goes away by turning off the recirculation, so I need to get back in there on the air filter. But since I anticipate they are going to totally remove my dash to fix the heater flapper valve, might as well wait till they finish that before I pull the glove box again.

Still haven't heard on arrival of the heater valve parts availability.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:31 PM

I'm in the same boat. They've checked my truck twice for the whistle I complain about. They claim the filter is installed correctly and they can't hear the whistle. I hear it until I turn recirculation off and it whistles if my windows are down. I assume when tge windows are down that it's sucking air through my whistling filter. I'm gonna take the glovebox out myself this weekend and come up with something to fix the filter. Duct tape around the filter or silicone. Something. I have the heater flap recall but I wouldn't trust my dealership to change a bicycle tire. I know my dash will rattle and squeak afterwards so I'm holding out as long as I can.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM

Garage
Just dropped mine off for heater recall as well and once again for the 3rd time mentioned the whistle noise from cabin air filter box and this time i even recorded the sound for them and played it for the service writer and was told once again " we will see what we can do" My question is if this cant be fixed do i have any case for the lemon law??? I mean we shouldn't have to live with this...I have to have the re-circulation on due to my bad allergies and where I live and my daily commute involves the highway and speeds over 50mph which is when i get the whistle..
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:00 PM

Hello rich7930,

We regret to hear that you are experiencing this persistent whistling concern, and understand how this can be frustrating. We see that you have dropped your vehicle off at the dealership for recall repair work, and would like to offer our additional assistance while you are there. We can look into this further on our end and check in with the dealer for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information, current mileage and involved dealer.

All the best,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich7930 View Post
Just dropped mine off for heater recall as well and once again for the 3rd time mentioned the whistle noise from cabin air filter box and this time i even recorded the sound for them and played it for the service writer and was told once again " we will see what we can do" My question is if this cant be fixed do i have any case for the lemon law??? I mean we shouldn't have to live with this...I have to have the re-circulation on due to my bad allergies and where I live and my daily commute involves the highway and speeds over 50mph which is when i get the whistle..

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
Hello rich7930,

We regret to hear that you are experiencing this persistent whistling concern, and understand how this can be frustrating. We see that you have dropped your vehicle off at the dealership for recall repair work, and would like to offer our additional assistance while you are there. We can look into this further on our end and check in with the dealer for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information, current mileage and involved dealer.

All the best,

Julianne M.

GM Customer Care

Thank you, PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 PM

I have had a whistle in my 2015 Canyon since new. I went through the attempts to resolve it by various attempts to repair the cabin air filter door.

I found the whistle to be audible under the hood when the AC is running. Anyone hearing the whistle, lift the hood and see if you can hear it even louder while the engine is idling and the AC is cycling.

In March, 2016, my dealer did investigate further for the whistle under the hood. From the details of the service invoice, they determined by using a microphone that the noise is very loud by placing the microphone on the AC line just behind the resonator. I do not know exactly where that is, but it was confirmed by working with a field service engineer and GM engineering.

Further, they found the noise present on two other trucks in dealer inventory. A few months later when I was in for one of the recalls, the service manager stated all 2015 and 2016 Colorado and Canyon trucks make the noise. Some whistle all of the time, others intermittently like mine. Some do it when new, others after a few thousand miles. They do not seem to be making progress fixing this irritating whistle because engineering is busy with safety related issues.

I did engage Customer Service after posting on this Forum. They seemed interested in helping me initially, but after a few weeks, they responded that they communicated with my dealer, and are turning the issue back to the dealer. I expected Customer Service would be able to communicate internally with additional information to help my dealer, but instead, they only reached out to the dealer and did not provide any additional information or support for me.

I will not provide my case number or dealer name on this Forum, but if Customer Service is actually willing to help get resolution for this irritating issue I will gladly provide that information. If the only assistance Customer Service can provide is to contact the dealer, then don't waste my time and raise my expectations falsely.

2015 GMC Canyon SLT 4x4, Onyx Black, Fold-a-Cover
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:32 AM

Garage
Picked mine up today and was told they were un able to replicate the sound.....not happy I even took a video to prove the sound but according to the tech it didn't do it for him

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:41 AM

Garage
So why don't you have the service writer/manager/tech get in your truck with you, and go drive it around so they can hear it in your presence?

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
So why don't you have the service writer/manager/tech get in your truck with you, and go drive it around so they can hear it in your presence?

I asked and was told I would need to schedule an appointment for that to happen because they didn't have anyone free at the moment....

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:51 PM

Took mine in twice for it, the first time they put this nasty goop on the Cabin Air Filter door to try & seal it, and that made it way worse. Now they're saying "It's the air running past the flapper door and they would probably make it worse if they try to fix it."

They did offer me a glimmer of hope saying if enough people bring it in for the issue the engineers get involved and issue a recall.

Not to happy >:(
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:56 PM

I have the whistle too. Planning on having dealer look at it when doing first oil change.
Seems like a design issue to me.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:37 PM

dealer never hears it. i just cycle recir button off/on or on/off and it goes away. it's lessened over time and rarely happens now.
its annoying that it does it but i'm not wasting time over a minor thing like that
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jimbarb23 Send a message via MSN to jimbarb23
Update on Cabin Air Whistle (CAF) - The first two times to the dealer they removed the CAF cover and reinstalled it and "it was fixed" only to come back 10 minuter after I left the dealership. 3rd time in they pulled the CAF cover and heated and warped it "back straight" and reinstalled it. This seemed to work for about a month and low and behold the whistle was back. The 4th time in they installed a "new" cover and applied some sort of silly putty in the sealing grove of the cover. This worked till the first morning it was 17 degrees and my truck was back to playing it's same old familiar tune, only wish I knew the words - I could at least sing along. I haven't had the time to take it back in but it will amaze me where we go from here, black duct tape would be a nice addition. From what I see there needs to be some sort of retainer or something about mid-way between both ends. That is an awful long span on such a thin piece of plastic to expect the two end clips to apply tension all the way across the cover. I will have to say that the service writer has been very caring and helpful with this problem.

Ordered 3/15/2015
Dealer holding hostage 5/26/2015
Picked up from dealer 5/29/2015
Installed additions:
Rally Armor mud flaps
AVS in-channel vent visors
GMC factory black tow hooks
Ionic factory style running boards
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:43 AM

Did anyone figure out a fix for this? I've had my truck 2.5yrs and it just started doing this. I already checked the filter. In fact, I can remove the filter and door and still hear the whistle. It comes and goes by actuating the air recirculating button.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:05 PM

My old Lumina did the whistle thing bit I found that it was a vacuum line leak. I wonder if the colorado hvac system is still using vacuum actuated flaps for air flow direction. Mine also whistles every so often and pressing the recirculator button off and on will make it go away.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

I read it may have something to do with the door that controls the fresh/recirculated air. It doesn't close entirely when it's set to recirculated air and cause the whistle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode