Dash Overlay - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 8Likes
  • 6 Post By moabite
  • 1 Post By moabite
  • 1 Post By sivartk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Dash Overlay

One thing that I never liked about my '16 Canyon SLT was the huge silver bezel in the middle of the dash. I thought about painting or wrapping it as some have done...or purchasing a darker one. But since I've installed dash overlays in my last half dozen or so vehicles, I thought I'd go that route again. And the OEM "wood" trim in the Canyon was the worst fake wood I've ever seen. I went with dark burlwood this time around. You can also get several different shades and types of wood or numerous carbon fiber or solid colors. I did carbon fiber in one of my Jeeps. Liked it too.

Toughsox, JBT, matt2858 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by moabite; 12-10-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:50 PM
mmg

Garage
Looks good, you did A+ also on the install
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:38 AM

That just vinyl sticker stuff?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:49 AM

I like it, can you tell us the brand and where you got them?

2016 GMC Canyon Crew SLT, 4x4, Cocoa/Dune, Copper Red

Ionic Gladiator Runningboards
BAK Bakflip Fibermax Tonneau cover
Bedrug Bedliner

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:10 AM
PAR

Garage
Is that one of these? I like it.

https://www.carid.com/2015-chevy-col...190411306.html

2015 Colorado CC/SB LT 2WD 3.6L V6
Cyber Gray/Jet Black
Convenience Pkg
18" Wheels
Tow Pkg/Locking Diff.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Yes...it is the $294 B&I small molded kit purchased through CARiD. Molded pieces included the dash bezel, shifter surround, and door panels. A few other flat pieces were included in the small kit but I haven't installed all of those and probably won't. I mainly wanted to cover the bright silver radio bezel...and the ugly piece around the shifter. As I mentioned, I've installed kits in Ford trucks, Toyota trucks, and a couple of Jeeps. The material is incredibly tough, easy to clean (I use Pledge), and simply does not come off if you do the prep work correctly. In fact, make sure you test fit and position each piece perfectly before you press it down...because you will never get it off again.

One (actually 2) of the pieces I did not install was for the steering wheel. There are 2 flat pieces to go on the silver part of the Canyon wheel. Those pieces really should be molded rather than flat. I just noticed that in the kit for the Colorado, the steering wheel overlay is, in fact, a molded piece.

The bezel piece was not exactly easy. I actually test fit it about a dozen times before finally getting the courage to remove the backing from the tape. I also removed the bezel and painted just the inner and outer edges black before applying the overlay. Most of that was not necessary. It turns out the only silver left showing would have been a narrow strip around the upper part of the radio opening .
PAR likes this.

Last edited by moabite; 12-11-2016 at 12:14 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moabite View Post
One thing that I never liked about my '16 Canyon SLT was the huge silver bezel in the middle of the dash. I thought about painting or wrapping it as some have done...or purchasing a darker one. But since I've installed dash overlays in my last half dozen or so vehicles, I thought I'd go that route again. And the OEM "wood" trim in the Canyon was the worst fake wood I've ever seen. I went with dark burlwood this time around. You can also get several different shades and types of wood or numerous carbon fiber or solid colors. I did carbon fiber in one of my Jeeps. Liked it too.

Okay, I don't know if it was a change for the '17 Canyon SLT's, but I noticed that your dash lights up red and mine lights up blue around the buttons. Interesting.

2017 GMC Canyon SLT V6 2WD Crew Cab Short Box
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post
Okay, I don't know if it was a change for the '17 Canyon SLT's, but I noticed that your dash lights up red and mine lights up blue around the buttons. Interesting.
I'm pretty sure you have a brand confused Canyon. All Canyons should have red highlight lighting. Motor Trend had a brand confused Colorado as their yearly tester, too. Big whoops on GM quality control.

From the MT article:

"Our Silver Ice Metallic Chevrolet Colorado Duramax arrived with just 58 miles on the clock, and I was psyched to fire it up for the first timeóespecially because within a few days of its arrival, I was going to load it up and point it north for a much-needed vacation. You can probably imagine my surprise when the first time I fired it up, a GMC logo greeted me on the little driver instrument control display on the dashboard. Hmm. Upon closer inspection, the switches on the center stack that turn traction control on and off, among other things, were loose and only worked if you pushed them just so. My truck mustíve rolled down its Wentzville, Missouri, assembly line on an off day. Regardless, those are issues to be addressed at a later date because Iíve got big plans for the Colorado."

"Stormtrooper"
2016 Colorado Z71 - Crew Cab - Long Box

Last edited by Krystof; 12-11-2016 at 01:16 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 01:43 PM

i'll keep the aluminum bezel in my black interior. it matches.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystof View Post
I'm pretty sure you have a brand confused Canyon.
Yeah, I guess I'll have to do some digging to find out if a change was made for 2017. I think I actually like the blue better. It doesn't have brand confusion, but maybe color confusion

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:49 PM
PAR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctycanyon View Post
i'll keep the aluminum bezel in my black interior. it matches.
They have a good looking carbon fiber option. That's the route I would go if I were to do mine.

2015 Colorado CC/SB LT 2WD 3.6L V6
Cyber Gray/Jet Black
Convenience Pkg
18" Wheels
Tow Pkg/Locking Diff.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 06:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Outdoor_funguy Send a message via MSN to Outdoor_funguy
I got mine covered with Vinyl Wrap from Gatorwraps . They have a lot of wraps, 3M Vinyl Wraps or Avery Denison Vinyl Wraps. You might also want to visit Gatorprints
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post
Yeah, I guess I'll have to do some digging to find out if a change was made for 2017. I think I actually like the blue better. It doesn't have brand confusion, but maybe color confusion

All 17's went to blue dash lighting. One reason I was glad to buy a 16!

Dash pieces look really good but after looking at the product I'm still confused. Are they actually molded pieces or just stickers?

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:43 PM

It looks nice in that Canyon. Don't like the picture of the light gray dash and dark wood on the CarID web page. And. . . . $300 for stickers is a bit much for me.

https://www.carid.com/2015-chevy-col...190411306.html

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
All 17's went to blue dash lighting. One reason I was glad to buy a 16!

Dash pieces look really good but after looking at the product I'm still confused. Are they actually molded pieces or just stickers?
Dash pieces? The silver is molded aluminum pieces on the dash and steering wheel. Not sure what looks like "stickers"
Esoxchaser likes this.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:26 PM

Garage
Disregard that.
The overlays I've seen were molded to fit the over the PLASTIC dash pieces on the dash and steering wheel.
They usually fit very well but I've seen some guys who can do wonders with 3M wrap.
Not me......

CheezyRiderAZ
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode