Rear Sliding Window Whistle? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear Sliding Window Whistle?

Hi All, I did some searching on the site and I don't think anyone has had this exact problem -

I have a whistle in the cabin while on the highway around 70mph and above. I believe it is caused by, or made worse by, cross wind. Last weekend I drove a 4 hour road trip North and I didn't hear the whistling, but on the return trip South it bothered me the ENTIRE drive. (The wind gave me awesome gas mileage though - 27.3 for the whole trip! And my 50 mile best is now 30.3.)

Before the return trip I had someone sit in the backseat and try to isolate the whistle. When we opened the rear sliding glass the whistle got much louder. I tried putting tape on the top of the rear brake light, but it didn't do anything. So I'm not sure if it's coming from the sliding window or not, but, the window seems to have a lot of play. I can move it up and down even when it's latched closed. It doesn't seem to leak though.

Does anyone else have this much play in the sliding window? Or, has anyone else had similar symptoms that were resolved? I tried the AC recirculate thing and it didn't have any effect. I don't want to send it to the dealer just to get a "couldn't replicate" response.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 PM

Garage
I've had a whistle when my rear slider(not on this truck) wasn't completely closed(which was solved by simply moving said slider the 5mm to seal it), but I've never had or even heard of a whistle that got LOUDER when you opened the slider.
Generally you would think once a window is open-releasing cabin pressure- your whistle would stop.
Since it's getting louder when you open your slider, it might be coming from where the slider meets the stationary widow, or maybe even the sealing edge of the window(might be a hairline gap between the window and the metal trim piece that houses the latch), or between the slider and the track(either upper or lower). Especially with the amount of clearance you describe. I've never had a slider that moved around that drastically, on any truck I've owned-including my Colorado
I would take it to your dealer for the excess play in the window, regardless of whether or not you think they'll duplicate the whistle.
From what I'm gathering here, methinks that'll solve your problem.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by yokev; 01-31-2017 at 11:52 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:14 AM

I would guess that it is possible that the opening of the slider at highway speeds is suckling air through other windows and openings in the vehicle. Open it wider and more air gets sucked in. There is a louver between the lower portion of the cab and the bed that is close enough to back window to sound like it is coming from the slider.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thought I would provide a bit of an update -

I have been unable to find the source of the whistle so far. I've taped up just about everything on this truck, including the entire back window. The picture I've attached is before I got to taping up the sliding window. I took an audio clip of the noise, but it won't let me attach it here. My next step is to look for the
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
louver between the lower portion of the cab and the bed that is close enough to back window
. This is the only logical place left to look.

I've put myself on a loaner list with a dealer and will drop the truck off with them as soon as they have something for me to drive but, if I can't find it, I don't have much faith in any dealer to find it either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0646.JPG (66.8 KB, 28 views)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider27 View Post
Hi All, I did some searching on the site and I don't think anyone has had this exact problem
Are you sure the whistle is coming from the back of the truck?

When you were coming back south, did you happen to have the recirculate climate function on?

There is a known issue (I have it), where there is a very annoying whistle at highway speeds when using the recirculate function. Opening the rear slider would pull even more air past the area that causes the whistle.

Here is a video of the noise and the cause:

2015 Colorado Ext. Cab Z71 4X4 (4/15 build date):
Bose, nav., sliding rear window, factory spray-in bed liner, fender guards, Rallyarmor UR mudflaps, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, door sill protectors, BNR tune.

Last edited by Rememo; 02-23-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:49 PM

i think the recirc whistle is coming from the cabin filter try taking it out and putting it back in and make sure the cover is on good. the cover doesn't even have a gasket on it and secures poorly....coming from gm oh thats a surprise...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the video. My whistle isn't as high pitched as that one, but, I checked my cabin air filter anyway. It looked like it was sealed up fine, but I opened the filter cover and put it back on. No change.

After some driving yesterday and today, the whistle sound seems to occur when the wind blows and hits the passenger side of the truck. (Today, while traveling West, the wind was out of the South West and I heard the whistle. While traveling East, I didn't really hear it at all) Folding down the back seats didn't seem to make the noise any louder, so my new theory of the wind coming in between the bed and the cab and whistling across the cab vent may be worthless.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 PM

I have a 15 Colorado extended cab without the rear slider. My truck has a whistle and I've re secured the cabin air filter cover. The recirculate function does not make a difference in it, and it does not matter if the HVAC is turned on or off. The whistle started before I purchased window vents and it is still going after I installed the vents. I've read that it may be an issue with the passenger side door seals. I'm not sure what one of the three, but it's a possibility that it is a seal. With you having the crew cab, I'd try the front passenger door as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I thought I'd give this post an update in case someone else has this issue -

It looks like my Undercover Elite top is the source of the whistle. I removed the top two weeks ago and I have not heard the whistle since. I may try to put the top back on tomorrow, depending on plans, to see if the noise returns. I'm not sure if it is something specific to my truck, or just the Elite/Canyon combination. My dad has the Elite on his 2016 Sierra without any issues, and I've had Undercover tops before without issue.

I called Undercover and they said "well, sometimes wind noise can happen" so I'm planning on taking the truck back to the shop that installed it and see if they'll let me switch into something else. It seems that most people here on the site have the foldable covers, so maybe that's the route to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode