Center Console USB Install - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Center Console USB Install

I have 2016 extended cab base model. My truck unfortunately did not get the factory USB installed in the center console. Since this is the only interior item that i really wish to change, i was wondering if anyone on here has a part number or can point me in the correct direction for adding one. My center console has the cover to install one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:30 PM

Do you have the 4" or 8" screen for the radio?

Not sure if a simple wire harness with a USB port is all you need to achieve your desire.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

I have the 4" radio. Im not sure if the standard USB from other canyons can be transferred into my vehicle or if i need to find something on amazon that would need to be wired in.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:34 PM

Garage
Is the wiring harness in the console?

Auxiliary Jack - GM (13589567)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

I will have to look when i get back home later today but that is exactly what i was looking for. I did not see a connector when i took the cap off, however that does not mean it isn't down there zip tied or something. Looking at the parts diagram, the wiring harness in the center console should be the same for all the trucks (only difference being manual or automatic trans) so i am hoping that the connector for it is down there somewhere. Otherwise i would have steal power from elsewhere.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Go to the Upfitter manual and check to see if there are different diagrams for the two radios. You can find a link to download in a stickied thread at top of electrical forum.

Do you have a cigarette lighter port on back of your center console? If not, I doubt they ran any wires to your center console.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Subscribed to this. I have no USB in the console. I do have a port in the console for the back seat.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

So here is my update... Got the console removed and did not find a wire for adding a USB. So it looks like I have 2 routes to go... I could use a generic USB port and a 12v to 5v inverter to power my USB... or try and get the correct wiring harness and hope it works with my current set up... A little research and I found just the things I was looking for.

I really want a simple, black, USB port with no audio plug for a GM car. You would thing that is easy to find but nope, not at all. Everything is white, has 2 USBs, or usb plus a audio port, or a single usb that lights up like crazy. Since this is going to be in my center console, I don't need it to light up. I found this USB, used for a Chevy Trax center console. I hope this works otherwise I would have to go for one similar to the front USB with the audio jack

Finally on amazon I found this 12v DC to 5vDC Micro usb B intverter. Because the Cigarette lighter wiring is directly below where the usb is going to be (you can see it in the top photo) it should be very simple to wire this in to get power. Says it will flow at 5v DC with 3A of power, which is much better than what is currently offered in my truck. Unless anyone has some up front concerns with this set up, I think this is what I will implement in my truck in the future.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

I decided i wanted to go to the upgraded IO6 route with my stereo. I called and ordered my upgrade today so i should have that unit by next week. However, i talked to one of their techs at Digitial Dash Solutions LLC and they said that it was odd that my truck did not have the center console USB, not not uncommon for GM to do that and leave the wiring out for adding on in. However, the HMI module should have 3 total mini usb ports regardless. Meaning if we only have one used, then the other 2 slots should be vacant. I wish it was as easy as plug and play however GM uses a proprietary locking mechanism for the HMI mini usb. If one was to get a usb cable that would lock into the HMI, then all you would have to do it run it to the center console for that USB to work. For those of you who are still clinging to hope my upgraded stereo system will arrive next week and I will have more information with how the current IO4 HMI is wired and if you could just add a USB cord to it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Here is an update...
This information is for anyone with a IO4 truck who does not have a center console USB. I found 2 extra USB ports behind my IO4 radio. One in the HMI module and one on the Radio Control Module. Each USB port has a specific color assigned with it so it cant be crossed with an incorrect USB plug, here is an example...
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-23258...usb+gmc+canyon

The way i see it is if you have a USB port on your HMI module you can get the correct wire from AMAZON and run it to your center console, all you would need then is a USB port to correspond with it. This should enable full functionality of media attached to the port, plus charging.

If you dont have an extra port on the HMI, or you have a IO3 radio with just the radio module USB open, you can do the same thing minus streaming media. Get the corresponding wire that locks into that module, run it to the center console USB and you should have charging on it. This is what i found. I cant test this necessarily yet because i ordered the new and updated wiring harness for my center console and i upgraded to the IO6 stereo. However when i get the cable in i could just try running the USB from the radio module to the usb port i ordered just to see if it would charge. Just to help anyone out who wants to charge in the center console.
Jeff B likes this.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:20 PM

Bradley any update on the center console USB? I'm upgrading my '16 WT to the IO5 radio (just for Android Auto) and was interested in the center console USB (I currently don't have one).

2016 Colorado
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Yes absolutely. IF you are upgrading to a IO5 radio you will be good to go. IO4 works as well. It is possible to install a center console USB. There are only 2 parts required for this upgrade...

23258326 is the USB cable you will need. It was the longest one i can find and it barely is long enough for this install.
20944418 is the USB jack that works with our truck. It is the simple white USB exactly like the other canyon trucks have.

I ran the USB wire down the right side of the center console, and was made easier by unclipping the side panel next to the passenger side seat. I was able to run the USB cable all the way to the USB in the center console with barely and room left. I can confirm that not only does this USB cable securely lock into the HMI and USB jack, but also works perfectly with the radio. I am able to charge my phone and connect with android auto.
philipparks68 likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Kotrba View Post
Yes absolutely. IF you are upgrading to a IO5 radio you will be good to go. IO4 works as well. It is possible to install a center console USB. There are only 2 parts required for this upgrade...

23258326 is the USB cable you will need. It was the longest one i can find and it barely is long enough for this install.
20944418 is the USB jack that works with our truck. It is the simple white USB exactly like the other canyon trucks have.

I ran the USB wire down the right side of the center console, and was made easier by unclipping the side panel next to the passenger side seat. I was able to run the USB cable all the way to the USB in the center console with barely and room left. I can confirm that not only does this USB cable securely lock into the HMI and USB jack, but also works perfectly with the radio. I am able to charge my phone and connect with android auto.
Thanks a lot!

I wonder if you could get just a dual end mini USB cable and run between the two since both connectors are mini USB connections.

2016 Colorado
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM

I went ahead and ordered those parts from GM Parts Direct. They were the cheapest even after shipping.

I'm looking forward to being able to use the port in the center console instead of in the front of the center console.
philipparks68 likes this.

2016 Colorado
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Hopefully it all works out for you. Didn't take me too long for the install, i was just careful about removing the trim pieces. Like i said before, my best advice is to remove the trim on the right side of the center console next to the passenger side leg area. It has about 6 to 8 clips in it that pops straight out (i used a plastic trim removal tool). It is easiest to remove with the passenger side seat pulled as far back as it goes. On the right side of the HMI module is a hole that the cable can be run down. Took me a few tries but i just fed the cable through that hole and it went down the back of the dash until it ended up in the passenger side foot sill. then with that panel removed i was able to run that cable down the length from the console to the center console. The center console itself is easy to remove... The trim piece around the shifter has to be removed first (6 clips, lift straight up and out, be careful of the 2 clips between the shifter and the cup holders as the plastic is thin there) then the center console assembly itself just pulls straight out. I found it easier to first remove the trim on the back side of the console, the one with the cigarette lighter in the back, so i can get a good grip on the console from under the console lid in the rear. Then it just lifts straight up and out. The rest is pretty straight forward. Run the USB cable along the side until you get to the center console. I suggest using a string of some sort to tie onto the USB cable and feed it though the jack port in the center console before you put it back in. I put my whole console together then tried to reach through the tiny USB jack mounting hole to grab the usb cable. Not a lot of room... Ended up having to use needle nose pliers to grab onto that cable. Then it stuck out of the console just enough to clip in the usb jack. shouldn't be too bad of an install but its well worth it. Wasn't too expensive either. With shipping it ended up around 75 bucks. Prices of course vary on WHERE you get your parts.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Hopefully it all works out for you. Didn't take me too long for the install, i was just careful about removing the trim pieces. Like i said before, my best advice is to remove the trim on the right side of the center console next to the passenger side leg area. It has about 6 to 8 clips in it that pops straight out (i used a plastic trim removal tool). It is easiest to remove with the passenger side seat pulled as far back as it goes. On the right side of the HMI module is a hole that the cable can be run down. Took me a few tries but i just fed the cable through that hole and it went down the back of the dash until it ended up in the passenger side foot sill. then with that panel removed i was able to run that cable down the length from the console to the center console. The center console itself is easy to remove... The trim piece around the shifter has to be removed first (6 clips, lift straight up and out, be careful of the 2 clips between the shifter and the cup holders as the plastic is thin there) then the center console assembly itself just pulls straight out. I found it easier to first remove the trim on the back side of the console, the one with the cigarette lighter in the back, so i can get a good grip on the console from under the console lid in the rear. Then it just lifts straight up and out. The rest is pretty straight forward. Run the USB cable along the side until you get to the center console. I suggest using a string of some sort to tie onto the USB cable and feed it though the jack port in the center console before you put it back in. I put my whole console together then tried to reach through the tiny USB jack mounting hole to grab the usb cable. Not a lot of room... Ended up having to use needle nose pliers to grab onto that cable. Then it stuck out of the console just enough to clip in the usb jack. shouldn't be too bad of an install but its well worth it. Wasn't too expensive either. With shipping it ended up around 75 bucks. Prices of course vary on WHERE you get your parts.
I've already got a USB cable ran to the spot where this USB goes in the center console so I can charge my phone and hook up to Android Auto via the front USB. I will use that to attached the new cable to and pull it down.

Thanks for the part #'s and info.

2016 Colorado
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
Thanks a lot!

I wonder if you could get just a dual end mini USB cable and run between the two since both connectors are mini USB connections.
I think you could get the dual end male mini usb B cable and make it work. Ive seen it somewhere where someone has done it. The dual male end USB b is not the easiest part to find but it is out there. I looked into that option before i bought the acdelco USB cable. I must say im glad i spend the extra money on the cable because it worked perfectly and it is very secure. I believe with a basic cable that you described one will have to shave down the sides of the connector to make it work with the HMI. Will it work, i think it would. You would just need some creativity. However I think that with the part number i provided there will be no issues with running the cable. So im glad that i (and you for that matter) spent the extra 30 or so bucks it was for the OEM goods.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Did you have to modify the USB jack for the cable to fit into it? Mine has a tab that sticks out and the cable end opening for that tab is on the wrong side.

2016 Colorado
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

I might of... If your talking about the USB cable that goes into the USB jack i think i did actually. IF i recall, the small 45 degree bend for the cable connector was on the wrong side. So i just took a razor knife and shaved the correct side down untill it fit in the USB port. Then it worked like a charm. Totally forgot about that part!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I might of... If your talking about the USB cable that goes into the USB jack i think i did actually. IF i recall, the small 45 degree bend for the cable connector was on the wrong side. So i just took a razor knife and shaved the correct side down untill it fit in the USB port. Then it worked like a charm. Totally forgot about that part!
That is what I did. I got it installed pretty easily. Thanks for the part numbers.

2016 Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode