Ignition key - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ignition key

I did a search and could not find anything. So here go's, 2015 Canyon sometimes it is very hard to turn the key in the ignition. The key goes in ok but when I turn it, it will not turn without pushing in hard and wiggling it. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks for any info, will be taking it in for the dealer to check out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 03:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat View Post
I did a search and could not find anything. So here go's, 2015 Canyon sometimes it is very hard to turn the key in the ignition. The key goes in ok but when I turn it, it will not turn without pushing in hard and wiggling it. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks for any info, will be taking it in for the dealer to check out.
When that happens, turn your steering wheel up and down a smidge, as sometimes the lockout catches the key.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:52 PM

Garage
I had this happen to me today on my 2017 Canyon. It's happened a couple times before today as well. As Rat commented, I have to play with the steering wheel a bit. I suppose if it gets worse I'll add it to the list of items for the dealer to look at.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 06:46 PM

Garage
Are the grooves in your key clean?

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am familiar with the wheel lock causing this but this is different. Also the key grooves are clean, it seems to be getting worse with time.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I am familiar with the wheel lock causing this but this is different. Also the key grooves are clean, it seems to be getting worse with time.
Hows the other key? If they both do it it must be the lock cylinder messing up. I wonder if a little lube would fix it?

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'd try some lubrication if it isn't dirt build up in the key or wheel lock, if that doesn't work you may need to stop by the dealer.

2015 Colorado Red Rock Metallic CC Long Bed Z71 4x4
-Mods So Far: Rally Armor UR Plus Flaps, Yellow Tinted Fog Lights, Access Vanish Cover, Linex, EGR Matte Black Wind Deflectors, P3 Brake Controller, MBRP Stainless Steel Cat-Back, Anzo LED Tail-lights, Uniden Bearcat 880 CB w/3' Firestik, Falken ATw3 Wildpeak 265/65R17 tires

Self Diagnosed RC Car/Truck Addict

Site Rules
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I tried both keys same thing, thought about lube but being under warranty I don't want to make it worse.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Took it in today they checked it and ordered a new Ignition switch. Gave me a free oil change and will give me a call when the parts get in.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
In and out in 1 hour, new switch installed with 2 new keys. So now I have an extra key, they sent one of the original keys back with the old switch.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
In and out in 1 hour, new switch installed with 2 new keys. So now I have an extra key, they sent one of the original keys back with the old switch.
Here's a strange one the next day after my ignition switch was replaced. On my first start up a message came up on the info screen that said, this vehicle has 4 keys programed to it. It never came back and I have not been able to duplicate it. Anyone know anymore.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Here's a strange one the next day after my ignition switch was replaced. On my first start up a message came up on the info screen that said, this vehicle has 4 keys programed to it. It never came back and I have not been able to duplicate it. Anyone know anymore.
The manual says you can have up to 8 keys programmed for use.

Perhaps the display came up because they dealer just installed and programmed the new keys?

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Conv Pkgs, Blk/Ashen Gray Leather
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:49 AM

Has only been able to get an extra ignition key made for their 2017. I was at the dealer and their 'Key Guy' showed up and tried to make me a third key. He told me he was having issues with the 2017 due to the theft deterrent system. He made a key, it worked in the door, tail gate and ignition and successfully started the vehicle, but then vehicle locked up and displayed the theft deterrent logo on the DIC. He claims he can get and link a third FOB for me, but needs to see if GMC now has 2017 specific key blanks or links them to the FOBs. We did have the working FOB in the vehicle when we attempted starting the vehicle.

I am wondering if they added chips or link the keys to the FOBs in 2017 or am I missing something?

2000 Supercharged Miata
2003 GMC Envoy SLT
2017 GMC 4WD Canyon Denali
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Had several instances w/ key not turning w/ my '14 Silverado and only once w/ the '16 Canyon. I'd rock the wheel L-R and if that didn't work I used the remote start off the fob or OnStar remote, once started by remote the key would work every time. I suspected the issue is between the cylinder and steering wheel lock and not the key itself.

My 0.02
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasted58 View Post
Had several instances w/ key not turning w/ my '14 Silverado and only once w/ the '16 Canyon. I'd rock the wheel L-R and if that didn't work I used the remote start off the fob or OnStar remote, once started by remote the key would work every time. I suspected the issue is between the cylinder and steering wheel lock and not the key itself.

My 0.02
I assume that the remote start on the Silverado at least also fired up the hydraulic power steering so that the stress was relieved and allowed the key to turn.

Interesting thing I will have to check out on our trucks: Does remote start actually turn the electric power steering on, or does this system only come to life when the key is turned? Hydraulic systems were by virtue of their power source always "ON" when the engine was running, but no reason to power up the electric power steering until a key is turned.

Probably just trivial to the life of our trucks, but curiosity killed the cat, and as a dog lover, can that be all bad?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:07 PM

Garage
Good thread as I want to keep a spare key hidden outside my truck in case "my wife" locks the keys in.

So I called a locksmith and he told me they could laser cut me a milled key w/o programming that would unlock the door only for $35

To program it to start the truck would be $55

Not sure if it's the same blank for both options or they are separate blanks. With or without a chip.

I was kinda surprised when he said it was doable. That's the way my '99 F150 works. I have a key w/o a chip that just opens the door but will not start the vehicle. It won't even turn over.

I originally thought you might even need to have a programmed key just to open the door, but it appears that's not the case.

Anyone have a non programmed key just for opening a locked door?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
Good thread as I want to keep a spare key hidden outside my truck in case "my wife" locks the keys in.

So I called a locksmith and he told me they could laser cut me a milled key w/o programming that would unlock the door only for $35

To program it to start the truck would be $55

Not sure if it's the same blank for both options or they are separate blanks. With or without a chip.

I was kinda surprised when he said it was doable. That's the way my '99 F150 works. I have a key w/o a chip that just opens the door but will not start the vehicle. It won't even turn over.

I originally thought you might even need to have a programmed key just to open the door, but it appears that's not the case.

Anyone have a non programmed key just for opening a locked door?
If your wife is prone to locking key in car, either have her load the app on her phone or load it on yours. She can find someone to let her call you, then you can unlock the doors with the app and not have a key "hidden" for a thief to use to break into her truck.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
If your wife is prone to locking key in car, either have her load the app on her phone or load it on yours. She can find someone to let her call you, then you can unlock the doors with the app and not have a key "hidden" for a thief to use to break into her truck.
So how does that work? Does it use the OnStar network or do you have to be at the vehicle to unlock it with the phone app? Sounds like it could be a better alternative to the old school method. I'm probably getting ahead of myself as the truck is on order. I'm sure when I get it I'll be better positioned to figure all this stuff out. Just trying to plan ahead as if they can be locked it the truck, sooner or later it will happen. My son has a 2010 Explorer Sport Track with that keypad on the door system and that has saved him a few times.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
So how does that work? Does it use the OnStar network or do you have to be at the vehicle to unlock it with the phone app? Sounds like it could be a better alternative to the old school method. I'm probably getting ahead of myself as the truck is on order. I'm sure when I get it I'll be better positioned to figure all this stuff out. Just trying to plan ahead as if they can be locked it the truck, sooner or later it will happen. My son has a 2010 Explorer Sport Track with that keypad on the door system and that has saved him a few times.
As long as you have internet service with your phone and ONSTAR can "see" your truck, you can lock, unlock and remote start your truck, along with set off the alarm, from anywhere in the world, I assume.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:00 PM

To get back to the OP, when the ignition cylinder locks up like that, it means you locked the steering wheel upon shutting down the vehicle. This is an anti-theft feature. Its part of the immobilizer system.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 3.6L, 8 Spd.

Check out my YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode