Anyone else disappointed with the auto climate control? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Anyone else disappointed with the auto climate control?

I cant tell if my system is working properly but this is what Ive been experiencing... not sure if its how the system is supposed to work. All I have to compare it against was my older Audi.

I jumped in my truck when it was about 35 degrees out and I hopped in turned the temp up to 80 and pressed the auto button. The system hardly did anything, you could feel a small about of air coming out of the defrost vents... thats it. I drive down the road 10 minutes and crank the temp up to HI and then the fan finally fires up to a higher speed.

Is this normal? In my audi the heater would fire up at full heat, full power untill it hits the set temp, my canyon really wants to take its time getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno Matheno View Post
I cant tell if my system is working properly but this is what Ive been experiencing... not sure if its how the system is supposed to work. All I have to compare it against was my older Audi.

I jumped in my truck when it was about 35 degrees out and I hopped in turned the temp up to 80 and pressed the auto button. The system hardly did anything, you could feel a small about of air coming out of the defrost vents... thats it. I drive down the road 10 minutes and crank the temp up to HI and then the fan finally fires up to a higher speed.

Is this normal? In my audi the heater would fire up at full heat, full power untill it hits the set temp, my canyon really wants to take its time getting there.

Yes, found it to be very inconsistent and not very accurate...

2016 Canyon SLT 2.8 Duramax 4x4 SBCC White
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:52 AM
KMW

Don't have my truck yet, but in my H2 if it's on "auto" it won't kick up the fan until the motor starts to warm up. Once there is heat to be had from the coolant the fan will kick up to high until the cabin reaches temp, and then it will slow down to just maintain temp.

Kind of nice, actually. I mean, no point in blasting a bunch of cold air.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:03 AM

We have it in the Terrain and it will not come on till the engine temp is up but that is only like about a mile down the road on very cold days. It works like any other GM auto system I have used.

Most of the new GM cars have fast heat up for emissions so heaters if anything are faster now than in the past.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 AM

First thing is the transmission shift points are adjusted to hold gears when the engine is cold to run higher rpms for faster warmup. Most vehicles are this way. Not for your comfort but hot engine equals less pollution.

Then the heater will not kick in until temp is warm enough. Usually it seems to kick in pretty soon after the gauge comes off the low mark.

Biggest issue I see is when the outside temp is close to setpoint the system doesn't know whether to heat or cool the cab.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:10 AM

Garage
Quote:

Totally normal. The system on Auto will not start blowing hard until the engine temp is up high enough to blow warm air. You would not want it to automatically go to high fan blowing cold air right? It takes a few to warm up. That is why the seat heaters are so great...they get warm in about 20 seconds. You are hot in them before your truck will start blowing hot air.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:

You can adjust the fan speed for auto in the settings via MyLink, it may be set to low

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:45 AM

I am little disappointed with climate system, seems its only blowing ice cold or heat, there's no in between. Then the fan speed even on the low setting blows pretty hard.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:33 PM

When your temp gauges gets 185 degeees - that's when the fans will start blowing. Mine blows everytime like clockwork at 185degrees.

Unless of course...You'd rather run it manually and blow ICE cold air in your face.

And yes....heated seats are a blessing. They heat up faster than the truck does. :)

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:37 PM

My auto climate control works poorly in most cases.
Stan

2016 Colorado Trail Boss long bed
2.8 Duramax Diesel
Bed Rug liner over spray in liner
Weather Tech mud flaps
Light bar mod and installation of BAKflip G-2 hard Tonneau cover.
Off road lights modified in to rear facing " work" lights.
8 Cargo area L.E.D. Lights wired to factory pigtail.
1" Custom Shim kit for drivers seat.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:55 PM

if its a 2017 then who knows
if its a 15or16 there's a recall on heater blend door
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. I will have to look into the heater blend door... the system works perfect when its on manual
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replys. I will have to look into the heater blend door... the system works perfect when its on manual
If it works fine in manual, it ain't the blend door.
Janster likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 PM

My auto climate system works poorly too. Once you've been in a car with a good Auto climate system, this system really sucks by comparison. In my Ford Focus ST, I set it at 72 and rarely ever had to adjust it. This system needs constant adjustment. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 PM

Garage
reading this forum reminds of a video i saw on youtube last week "office air conditioning is sexist." i can solve this topic very easily, the auto system waits for warm air before it blows "hard" like previously stated no point blasting the occupants with cold air. If you dont like the way it works on auto DONT USE IT or deal the truck in. You want inconsistent CC trying flying a super cub in northern Ontario in january

2015 red hot ext cab z71
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew24 View Post
reading this forum reminds of a video i saw on youtube last week "office air conditioning is sexist." i can solve this topic very easily, the auto system waits for warm air before it blows "hard" like previously stated no point blasting the occupants with cold air. If you dont like the way it works on auto DONT USE IT or deal the truck in. You want inconsistent CC trying flying a super cub in northern Ontario in january
No thanks, I'll stick with my Agusta 109's sweet bleed air CC. 😉
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 PM

Not disappointed simply because I don't use it.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:02 PM

Garage
I have no trouble with the auto on my 2017. I rarely move the temperature setting from 74.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:41 PM

As someone else stated already you can also adjust the speed the fan blows in Auto. If the setting is on Low then even after the truck warms up the air won't blow out that quickly which will make it longer before the truck warms up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregguz View Post
As someone else stated already you can also adjust the speed the fan blows in Auto. If the setting is on Low then even after the truck warms up the air won't blow out that quickly which will make it longer before the truck warms up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The "LOW" setting for AUTO mode is still higher than my wife likes, not like it is a very low setting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode