Adding Automatic Climate Control - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Adding Automatic Climate Control

I have a 2016 LT crew cab long bed. If you have manual climate control on your truck like mine does, can you upgrade to automatic climate by simply switching out the controller in the dash or is there more involved to it? Also to those who have it, do you like it or think I should stick to the standard controls that the LT came with? I've seen threads where people don't like it but rarely do you find people creating threads praising things anyway.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:16 AM

Garage
Welcome to C'Fans
Personally I would leave it as is, having (had) 3 Colorado's with the auto. The auto I wind up fiddling with it this time of year, with 30° temp swings any way, as it being too hot or cold. The summer is a set it and forget it with consistent temps. Plus, I think adding it is a major interior tear apart project also. To fix just the temp blend door recall, requires the whole dash removal.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 AM

I am going to second the recommendation of @RatRacer. Based on what I think I have seen from pictures, I think the blend door is totally different between the manual and auto- climate controls, I suspect there are several extra sensors involved, etc. For instance, I don't think there is any requirement for a humidity sensor on the manual, but the auto requires one or more.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 AM

I dont think it's a simple swap. Your truck probably doesn't have the internal temp sensors that the auto system uses to regulate the temperature. Also I bet there is some programming involved with the BCM to make sure everything talks to each other. Not an easy thing to accomplish.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:04 PM

It is not a simple bolt on. Also it would not be a cheap one even with used parts.

Just live with what you have till you trade.

Odds are it also is programed into the Computer so you would have to find someone to re-flash the computer too.

Even your Radio is hooked into the Computer.

Listen to those above and leave it alone.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:09 PM

I purchased the auto hvac panel just to see if I could atleast get the temp readouts. and while I could get the temp readout on the dial, the knob closest to the driver would illuminate and it limited the fan speed as well. needless to say I shipped the part back. This was on a s 2017 Colorado LT 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode