• 1 Post By goleee33
  • 2 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By Thunderbear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tablet Mounting Options

Hi guys.

Has anyone mounted tablets yet in these trucks? Trying to figure something out for my iPad Mini2 that I use for off-road GPS. There are some windshield mounts but they are very bulky. Seeing if anyone else has come up with something rugged enough for offroad.
CanyonITHAULS likes this.

NEW TRUCK
2015 Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4X4 - Summit White
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits Boxed UCA - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
2004 Colorado Crew Cab Z85. I5 2wd
5inch CST lift
LIFTED COLORADO CLUB MEMBER # 123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:07 PM

I've been wanting to do the same but was hoping someone else would figure out how to just have it display on the dash display.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:48 PM

The linked device will allow to to display your iPad on the in-dash display. You won't have touch control of the iPad, just the video out from it.

https://www.gm-navigation.com/shop/2...tware-service/

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Garage
I have seen a few devices for smartphone mirrorring:

Navtool: CHEVROLET COLORADO 2015-2017 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI

Naviks: Naviks Wireless Smartphone Mirror Interface (HDMI Out Only) (Android, iPhone Compatible) (Youtube) (iOS 10 Compatible)

and the above mentioned MVI: https://www.gm-navigation.com/shop/v...nput-module-2/

I'm leaning toward the Naviks due to cost and wireless ability, so I can mirror Torque on the screen, but I really appreciate the MVI long press interface setup.

vi et armis invictus maneo..
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:14 PM

Garage
Scorche magnet mount works pretty well. Plus it doesn't block any of my needed items.

Last edited by jso902; 03-16-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added photo
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:21 PM

Does the Naviks require the video interface that is $399 for the $120 wireless adapter to work?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goleee33 View Post
Hi guys.

Has anyone mounted tablets yet in these trucks? Trying to figure something out for my iPad Mini2 that I use for off-road GPS. There are some windshield mounts but they are very bulky. Seeing if anyone else has come up with something rugged enough for offroad.
Mind you, I'm a complete and utter MO-ron when it comes to technology, but I'm gonna ask[what could be a stupid question] anyway:
Couldn't you just use Car Play to mirror your nav app on the info-t screen?

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokev View Post
Mind you, I'm a complete and utter MO-ron when it comes to technology, but I'm gonna ask[what could be a stupid question] anyway:
My iPhone won't display Google maps which has my offline maps.

My Samsung tablet which I'd prefer to use won't display anything.

I'm guessing the mini iPad is the same as the phone where it won't display other map programs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
yokev likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Mac is correct. I'm using LeadNav and it does not support CarPlay. And also, I have a 2015 which does not offer it.

Also, I am not sure if it supports IPads or only iPhones.
yokev likes this.

NEW TRUCK
KN 63 Series intake - LineX - 30" GGLighting LED Bar - Front/Rear Adujustable King Shocks - Bajakits Boxed UCA - Method Double Standard Wheels - Falken AT3W 285/70/17 - Deaver Mini Pack inserts

OLD TRUCK
5inch CST lift
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbear View Post
I have seen a few devices for smartphone mirrorring:

Navtool: CHEVROLET COLORADO 2015-2017 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI

Naviks: Naviks Wireless Smartphone Mirror Interface (HDMI Out Only) (Android, iPhone Compatible) (Youtube) (iOS 10 Compatible)

and the above mentioned MVI: https://www.gm-navigation.com/shop/v...nput-module-2/

I'm leaning toward the Naviks due to cost and wireless ability, so I can mirror Torque on the screen, but I really appreciate the MVI long press interface setup.

Thanks for these! They all seem awesome and would work perfect. However I can't justify the $500 to mirror. Maybe If I ever start racing the truck that would be a cool feature so that the driver and the co driver could see the same thing.

NEW TRUCK

OLD TRUCK
5inch CST lift
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
The 2015 models don't have Car Play.

This is one of about 2-3 reasons why I wish I could justify upgrading to a 2017 or 2018 model. Not going to happen that soon though, just to get an 8-speed transmission, a built in trailer brake controller, and Car Play.
goleee33 and yokev like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Garage
Search Amazon for "arkon goose neck".

They have very cool looking articulating mounts with solid device holders. The nice ones mount via one of the seat frame bolts on the floor.

I'm very curious about trying one for my cell phone. I hesitate because:
- Not sure if it would be in the way of my legs if I mount it on the drivers side next to the center console/tunnel
- Not sure if it would be in the way of any front seat passengers if mounted on the passenger side
- Not sure if it will put the phone up high enough for where I want it. I'd prefer it closer to windshield/stock radio height to avoid the distraction of looking down at it vs. it being closer to eye height.

2016 Canyon SLT CC LB 4x4; Black on Black; Bose/Navi; Safety System Package; Factory spray on bed liner; Extang 2.0 Solid Fold; stick on window visors; OEM all weather floor mats
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
The thing about Android Auto (and I'm assuming CarPlay) is that it's not a 1:1 display of what's on your phone. It's merely an ultrasimplified phone interface.

You can only use Android Auto apps, not the entire app catalog of your phone, so it's a hell of a lot more limited than the dealer or anyone else will make it sound. If you use things like Torque, MyTracks, ArcCollector, Fuelly, WIFI Analyzer, they're not ported to the AA interface.

Android Auto is limited to things like audio apps, like Spotify/Pandora, podcasts, audiobooks, radio scanners or chat apps like Skype (why?), Kik, WhatsApp, Hangouts, etc. True utility apps aren't available. There is a native mapping interface, for folks that don't have Nav, that might be an attractive option. I think it's most attractive feature is that it reliably connects whenever my phone enters the truck, and I can use the steering wheel audio controls to start the music without ever touching the phone or even taking it out of my pocket.

Honestly, if I had a 2015 without AA/CarPlay, I'd absolutely go for the smartphone mirror over the infotainment upgrade. I'm really missing Torque and Waze, so the mirror interface is definitely on my list.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 PM

Check out pro clip USA, I have their iPhone 7 mount and it works great no movement over dirt roads. Have them in 3 cars and all great mounts. I think the only thing that isn't great is that the own for our truck covers 1/2 of the middle AC/heat vents. They have good pictures on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 GMC Canyon - Tinted Windows, Leer Tonneau Cover, LED Fog lights, LED in bed lighting. Future upgrades: front light bar, leveling kit, larger tires, rear airbags, rippmods super charger? http://www.rippmods.com/shop?category=Chevrolet . . .
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonITHAULS View Post
Check out pro clip USA, I have their iPhone 7 mount and it works great no movement over dirt roads. Have them in 3 cars and all great mounts. I think the only thing that isn't great is that the own for our truck covers 1/2 of the middle AC/heat vents. They have good pictures on the website.

Will it work with an IPad?? Much larger and heavier than the iPhone.

NEW TRUCK

OLD TRUCK
5inch CST lift
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:31 AM

Garage
If you're definitely wanting a solid mount, the Ram tablet mounts are probably what you're looking for.

Tablet Mount Wizard | RAM Mounts
goleee33 likes this.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goleee33 View Post
Will it work with an IPad?? Much larger and heavier than the iPhone.

http://www.proclipusa.com/tablet-hol...pad-air-2.cmsv

2015 GMC Canyon - Tinted Windows, Leer Tonneau Cover, LED Fog lights, LED in bed lighting. Future upgrades: front light bar, leveling kit, larger tires, rear airbags, rippmods super charger? http://www.rippmods.com/shop?category=Chevrolet . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode