Passenger Door Rattle Fix with Pics - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By LoJac963

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Passenger Door Rattle Fix with Pics

I know there's a thread on door panel removal but it lacks quite a bit of information. I took the plunge today after being sick of having the dreaded passenger door rattle. Follow the standard procedure for removing the door panel.

1. Pull up on the rear of the switch trim-it locks in on the front so pull the rear straight up and it will come out.

2. Pull the deco trim straight away from the panel. The clips are terrible and I had to fix a number of them after pulling the trim piece off.

3. Remove the small plastic piece in the handle bucket.

4. Remove 8mm screws x5
---One in door handle bucket once plastic is removed
-----Two in the middle of the door panel once both pieces of trim are removed
-------Two in the bottom of the door panel-easily visible from below

5. Start at the bottom of the door panel with plastic trim removal tools and start popping the clips loose. The panel will pop loose easily.

Now I removed my entire panel. Most people say not too and now I know why. Without two people it is virtually impossible to remount the panel. If you can get to everything without fully removing the door panel then go that route.

Here are some pics for reference

Door panel so you know where the clips are when popping them loose:

Door with panel and water shield removed

Here was my fix

I had bought some extremely dense sound deadening foam for another project of mine and used some of it for this fix. I cut two strips about an inch wide and followed the metal the full length of where the harness runs. The harness was popped out of the retainers to attach the foam easier. Harness was replaced in the retainers. Then I sandwiched more foam between the harness and the metal of the window motor/mount to completely isolate the harness.

The rattle was so bad I couldn't stand listening to music but its gone now!

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:27 PM

Garage
By chance, do you have pictures of the deco trim once you removed it?

Mine is rattling and I'm not sure if I want to mess with it or have the dealer look at it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider27 View Post
By chance, do you have pictures of the deco trim once you removed it?

Mine is rattling and I'm not sure if I want to mess with it or have the dealer look at it.
Sorry I didn't take a pic of that. I believe there was 4 clips which hold it on to the door panel. You should be able to spread the clips apart a little so they hold tighter.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, 4" MaxTrac lift with 2" RC level kit, LED's throughout, Iron Cross steps, Line-X, Stubby Jr, GMC All Weather floor mats, Bull Rings x9, DRL harness, OPT7 LED lows and fogs

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 AM

My dealer said, "normal operation". It's annoyingly as crap....so I guess I'll fix it myself. You buy a 47K MSRP truck.... you would think they could at least fix the clip lol.

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963 View Post
Based on this picture, it appears the sound comes from where that smaller lighter metal piece meets the rest of the door frame - like without the foam you installed it rattles violently which in turn shakes rest of the trim. Is that your conclusion too? Do you think the rattle comes from another area as well?

My dealer has been really good about trying to get this problem fixed for me (it's been in about 4 times now) - if this is really the fix I plan on bringing this in for their tech to consider too next time I'm in for an oil change.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol2001 View Post
Based on this picture, it appears the sound comes from where that smaller lighter metal piece meets the rest of the door frame - like without the foam you installed it rattles violently which in turn shakes rest of the trim. Is that your conclusion too? Do you think the rattle comes from another area as well?

My dealer has been really good about trying to get this problem fixed for me (it's been in about 4 times now) - if this is really the fix I plan on bringing this in for their tech to consider too next time I'm in for an oil change.
The metal of the door does not directly contact the metal of the window holder/frame. There is a wiring harness that sits on the door metal that does rattle and can hit the window metal. That's why I put foam on both pieces of metal to sandwich the harness between both pieces of metal. If will blow your mind if you saw how much the door metal moves with bass hits. It's a little ridiculous and very cheap IMO. I did not hear any further rattles from that door.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode