Fire Extinguisher Install - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
You guys are worrying about where to put an extinguisher rather than the best type to carry. I suggest that you should stay away from dry power extinguishers if at all possible. Having fought a gasoline fed RV fire and won, I have some experience here. I still had to do about $10,000 in repairs. Any place dry chemical touched left corrosion in everything electrical. It also left major pits in anything steel. It took me 4 months to repair all of the damage and other than the fire itself, fire extinguisher induced damage was the second highest expense. My suggestion is that you buy and install AFFF or AR-AFFF foam fire extinguishers. Forget the Dry Chem. Foam fire extinguishers do have one draw back. Most of them will freeze at 32F or 14 F. While freezing will not usually hurt them, It will make them unusable until they thaw again. There are some AFFF foams out there what will not freeze until well below 0F. I do not know of any company making small extinguishers that you would expect to see in a vehicle using that charge.
I'd even stay away from foam extinguishers because of the freeze issue. Majority of the foam extinguishers that you can buy will freeze. I agree that an ABC extinguisher is not the right choice. To do it right, you'd want to carry a CO2 extinguisher. However, the vast majority will not want to pay for the extra cost of neither a foam or CO2 extinguisher. A 5# ABC extinguisher we sell at work for $52 with vehicle bracket (this is not your cheap Lowe's 5# extinguisher with plastic head, these are high quality Pyro-Chem or Buckeye extinguishers with a metal head that can be recharged). No one will want to carry a 2.5 Gallon foam/water extinguisher because of the size. A 5# CO2 extinguisher (again Pyro-Chem or Buckeye) will run you around $175.

With as disposable as vehicles are now a days, I'd get out my family, phone, and wallet and let it burn until the fire department go there to do their water damage trick. I can justifiably say this because I was a career firefighter for 7 years before getting out of the business.

2016 Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
You guys are worrying about where to put an extinguisher rather than the best type to carry. I suggest that you should stay away from dry power extinguishers if at all possible. ........... I do not know of any company making small extinguishers that you would expect to see in a vehicle using that charge.
I'll agree that dry powder is not a good thing if your primary concern is electrical/component damage. My MAIN reason for keeping one on board is to be able to help someone else if needed and if they have a desire to be helped. Obviously if I needed it for myself, I would use it as well. I'm guessing that in the cases it was needed, one would be less concerned about long term equipment damage and more concerned about short term human damage. That's just my guess. But certainly if you want to be set up for multi-fuel suppression, then go for it. At my home, I have a kitchen based extinguisher that is low velocity discharge, uses sodium bicarbonate, etc, then I use larger 3-A:40-B:C units in the garage and also upstairs in my home living area. I'm hoping that I never use ANY of them but if I have to, I'll be much less concerned about corrosion and much more concerned about flame suppression to support safe exit.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink

Last edited by RandyNC; 04-24-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: correct typo
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:20 PM

Think ahead a bit because those extinguishers will turn into missiles in an accident unless properly secured. I had a Garmin sitting on the center of the dash and never worried about it until I was rear-ended off center. I was lucky it was just a glancing blow on my forehead as it went by me. While installation of the extinguisher in the driver's door seems innocuous any head-on impact in the right front quarter panel, T-bone on the passengers side, or rear end collision on the right rear quarter panel would launch it.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rand1:
Thanks, I'm already in the process of pulling the door panel to determine the best way to secure it.
Although......I AM contemplating RandyNC's location for ease of mounting.....

CheezyRiderAZ
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode