Fire Extinguisher Install - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb Fire Extinguisher Install

I know, anyone can install a fire extinguisher.......

But, after seeing a pic posted by kaiser67 about something else, I noticed he had an extinguisher in the driver side rear door panel, inside the useless angled "drink holder" or whatever GM wants to call it.

I tried a couple throwaway Kidde extinguishers in my truck but they were too big in diameter and it seemed like they would eventually cause the door panel to stretch, break, separate, or whatever.

I PM'd kaiser67 and he told me the brand and model extinguisher he used.
After finding an Amerex dealer, I bought an Amerex B417 which is a 2.5 pound ABC extinguisher for about $30.
This extinguisher is all metal, including the operating mechanism, and the included mounting bracket. It's also refillable.

I did remove the hole bracket for hanging it on a wall (one screw) and I trimmed down the lower aluminum handle so there's no chance of it rubbing on the door panel above the speaker grill.

The extinguisher fits snugly in the pocket and doesn't rattle. It's also easily accessible.

This is more than just screwing in a bracket somewhere, but after downsizing from a Sierra, I'm finding it tough to get all my stuff in this truck without just throwing it under the rear seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE 1.2.jpg (64.1 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg FE 1.3.jpg (52.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg FE 1.4.jpg (193.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg FE 1.5.jpg (167.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg FE 1.6.jpg (195.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg FE 1.7.jpg (127.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg FE 1.8.jpg (73.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg FE 1.9.jpg (93.2 KB, 104 views)

CheezyRiderAZ
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 PM

Glad it worked out for you!

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:45 PM

Nice clean install.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys, especially kaiser67 for giving me the idea and the info to make it work!

CheezyRiderAZ
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:33 AM

Outstanding job, looks very good. Got a couple in my house and 1 at my hunting camp but I think if my Canyon catches fire I would rather it burns to a black blob and let the insurance company buy me a new one.
JScottM likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Outstanding job, looks very good. Got a couple in my house and 1 at my hunting camp but I think if my Canyon catches fire I would rather it burns to a black blob and let the insurance company buy me a new one.
Agreed. A buddy has his new ram light up. 22k in damage. All new interior, wiring, dash, paint. They wouldn't total it. It took 6 months and they did a horrible job. The fire department put the fire out.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 AM

As much electronics that are in vehicles now a days, it still amazes me that people carry a fire extinguisher to use. You will do just as much damage with the fire extinguisher as the fire and more than likely not put the fire out.

Knowing what hidden damage fire causes, I'd probably knock someone out who was trying to put my burning vehicle out with a fire extinguisher. Not to mention I know what damage a FD will do to a vehicle and what the water damage will do.

2016 Colorado
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezyRiderAZ View Post
I know, anyone can install a fire extinguisher.......

But, after seeing a pic posted by kaiser67 about something else, I noticed he had an extinguisher in the driver side rear door panel, inside the useless angled "drink holder" or whatever GM wants to call it.

I tried a couple throwaway Kidde extinguishers in my truck but they were too big in diameter and it seemed like they would eventually cause the door panel to stretch, break, separate, or whatever.

I PM'd kaiser67 and he told me the brand and model extinguisher he used.
After finding an Amerex dealer, I bought an Amerex B417 which is a 2.5 pound ABC extinguisher for about $30.
This extinguisher is all metal, including the operating mechanism, and the included mounting bracket. It's also refillable.
Thanks Cheezy -- nice, clean install job! Did you use a regular hacksaw on that lower handle, or a Sawsall? Guessing I could clamp that handle on a bench or vise and then carefully cut it down. Thanks again for sharing.
As an aside, it's good to have one of these available, should you find someone else on the road who is in need of assistance, whether an engine fire or something else.

2016 Canyon SLE, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, Bose, Cocoa-Dune Cloth, Factory spray liner, Locking Rear Diff., DeeZee Rubber Bed Mat, WeatherTech No-Drill Mud Flaps, Iron-Cross SS Running Boards. Built April 27, 2016. Delivered May 16, 2016.

Last edited by HITTHEBEACH; 04-21-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added comment.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 AM

But now where will I put my extra beers?
ernster500 likes this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 AM

I picked up an extinguisher recently and was having this same discussion with myself! I mainly carry one to aid other motorists. As you guys noted, I think if my truck caught fire, I'd let it burn unless it was something seriously small somewhere.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
As much electronics that are in vehicles now a days, it still amazes me that people carry a fire extinguisher to use. You will do just as much damage with the fire extinguisher as the fire and more than likely not put the fire out.

Knowing what hidden damage fire causes, I'd probably knock someone out who was trying to put my burning vehicle out with a fire extinguisher. Not to mention I know what damage a FD will do to a vehicle and what the water damage will do.
Quote:
If it comes to the point that the extinguisher is needed then yeah the vehicle is already screwed most times but you bet your ass if someone is in trouble or that extra few seconds even with the extinguisher allow somebody to get free or save a pet or something, I'm going to use it...

I commented on the What Did You Do thread but I have used it twice. During an auto-x a car was leaking oil and caught fire in the engine bay, a quick blast put it out and no further damage. The other time I spotted a brush fire starting from some idiot tossing a cig butt into dry mulch.

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
HITTHEBEACH:
I used a handsaw that uses a sawzall blade. Held the extinguisher between my knees while I TRIED to cut along a pencil mark I had made, then I used a couple files to round the edges and take off any burrs.
I thought about removing the handle but it's riveted on with a long rivet.
Also thought about putting the extinguisher in a vice but I didn't wanna risk scratching it up even if I wrapped a towel around it.
In one of the pics you can see one spot where I slipped with the saw trying to get started but I'm happy with it.

fondupot:
That's what a cooler's for!

As far as irreparable damage to my truck, I'm not saying I'd let it burn, at least I'm not documenting it here in print, but depending on what's burning, I may be able to stop the fire before it does that kind of damage.
I have had a number of times at work where people were trapped and while someone worked on breaking a window and getting them out, including a child strapped in a carseat, I worked on trying to slow the fire with an extinguisher.
Not sure if I actually made it possible to save the kid but it sure feels good to be able to do something.
You never know 'til you need one, and if you don't have one, it's too late.
They're also great for breaking windows in an emergency AND they make a good weapon in an unfair situation......
Besides, the ABC is good for more than just a car fire.
fondupot likes this.

CheezyRiderAZ

Last edited by CheezyRiderAZ; 04-21-2017 at 04:29 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:09 PM

OK, after seeing @CheezyRiderAK's install, it kicked me into gear to make some progress. The wife bought me a FirstAlert 5-B:C unit for Christmas. It wasn't doing me much good hanging out in the closet! It actually does fit in the door pocket like @CheezyRiderAK did for his unit, but I was a little worried about leaving it there with kids getting in and out of the truck.

So, for now I have beneath that small rear seat pocket on the driver's side. It's still in the mfg mounting bracket but it's not 'mounted' to any hard surface. I usually kept a small umbrella in this space and they both seem to fit reasonably well, but I'd prefer having the mounting bracket screwed to a surface if possible. I've attached a few pics. Note the pic of just the compartment with the two small red circles. Does anyone have any idea what is beneath this surface and whether I could run some (short!) sheet metal screws into this area? This would anchor it into the position that I currently have it sitting (see last photo).

Alternately, I am thinking about screwing it to the plastic part of the seat support (see photo of me supporting it w/ my hand in what would be the final mounted location). I have confirmed that this won't interfere with the seat closing, and maybe this leaves a little bit more room in the tray area. It's not significantly different than just laying it on the floor though.

The last photo shows how it is set up TODAY. Nothing holding it in place, but it doesn't slide around at all, particularly when I have my umbrella beside it. I also considered just putting some velcro hook on the back of the mounting bracket and using that to better affix it to the existing carpet area.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DrillLocation.jpg (94.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ProposedMount.jpg (250.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg CurrentMount.jpg (254.3 KB, 37 views)
Snowslide likes this.

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CCSB 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, Summit White, Bull Ring side wall anchors, AMP Research Powerstep, Rugged Cover Tri-Fold Tonneau, WeatherTech Mudflaps

Planned Mods:
Homelink

Last edited by RandyNC; 04-23-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Clarify post.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
RandyNC:
I LIKE that!
Never even thought about putting mine there......

I'm not sure what's behind your circles, I'm curious to know too.
On my truck, that area and most of the floor inside seems kind of soft like maybe there's some padding or noise insulation underneath.
You can probably stick your head underneath the truck and feel the top and underside with both hands and maybe figure out if you can run a few screws or small bolts thru. You should be able to see or feel the other ends of the two bolts in the seat base in your pic so you know you're in the right spot.
If there's nothing underneath and you screw/ bolt, it'll probably compress the padding, shouldn't be a problem tho.
I do know, found out the hard way, my Sierra had heat/ AC vent tubes or something similar running under the front seats but I can't think of anything that would be under the area you circled ESPECIALLY since the seat base bolts around that area.
Lemme know whatever you find out.

CheezyRiderAZ
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, pays better than trade in....lol

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:54 PM

An extinguisher to fit in that pocket will be quite a bit smaller though

My build thread
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was thinkin' RandyNC's was probably about a 2 1/2 pounder too, just different measurement......

CheezyRiderAZ

Last edited by CheezyRiderAZ; Yesterday at 12:06 AM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:27 AM

You guys are worrying about where to put an extinguisher rather than the best type to carry. I suggest that you should stay away from dry power extinguishers if at all possible. Having fought a gasoline fed RV fire and won, I have some experience here. I still had to do about $10,000 in repairs. Any place dry chemical touched left corrosion in everything electrical. It also left major pits in anything steel. It took me 4 months to repair all of the damage and other than the fire itself, fire extinguisher induced damage was the second highest expense. My suggestion is that you buy and install AFFF or AR-AFFF foam fire extinguishers. Forget the Dry Chem. Foam fire extinguishers do have one draw back. Most of them will freeze at 32F or 14 F. While freezing will not usually hurt them, It will make them unusable until they thaw again. There are some AFFF foams out there what will not freeze until well below 0F. I do not know of any company making small extinguishers that you would expect to see in a vehicle using that charge.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
As much electronics that are in vehicles now a days, it still amazes me that people carry a fire extinguisher to use. .
I've had flames appear out of nowhere around my lower legs when I was travelling around 75mph, and I can attest to the fact that in the amount of time it takes you to get slowed enough to bail from that speed(without killing yourself) your legs will be fully engulfed.
There's all kinds of scenarios where a fire extinguisher can mean the difference between life and death for YOU, passengers in your vehicle, or someone on the side of the road you just happen to be approaching.
You also have a multitude of scenarios when you're off-road in the middle of BFE, and the nearest fire truck is an hour(or more) away, IF they can even find you.
Burn injuries are some of THE most painful to deal with, never mind the treatment and recovery from.
To have never needed one, or even know anyone who has is one thing, but to actually be 'amazed' that some people carry them onboard requires one to suspend common sense
kaiser67 likes this.

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

Last edited by yokev; Yesterday at 03:24 AM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:54 AM

Message deleted. I have not been able to get the "submit quick reply" button to work and when I go to advanced and then submit it, it removes all of the formatting. That jams the whole message together making it difficult to read. I have tried this with both Chrome and Firefox.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT

Last edited by n9cv; Yesterday at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode