Don't understand the door pockets. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Don't understand the door pockets.

So I've had my 2017 Colorado extended cab for a couple of weeks and still trying to figure out what-is-what. I don't understand how or for what I can use the round sloping forward pockets on all four door panels. What is the purpose.
JScottM, Thoughtbox and LazarusDB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:29 PM

Garage
Water bottle or beer your call!
CPTTango30, eyekyu and Dan Mc like this.

"Donorado"

2016 Colorado Red Hot Z71
4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 3.6 V6 w/Trifecta Tune Advantage
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:42 PM

Garage
Or a fire extinguisher if you have 'em in the back doors too......

My '16 has 'em too!
I can't figure them out either and nobody I've talked to has any kind of logical explanation that'll satisfy me.
Personally I think they look stupid and they're pretty much a waste of space. Open 'em up and just give us an open area that we can actually use......

Rant over, if anyone has any good ideas as to what to put in 'em or use 'em for, I'm open to suggestions......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE 1.2.jpg (64.1 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg FE 1.3.jpg (52.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg FE 1.4.jpg (193.9 KB, 164 views)
Vinolush likes this.

CheezyRiderAZ
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

Last edited by CheezyRiderAZ; 04-22-2017 at 04:44 PM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:02 PM

The door panel "storage" is one of my top 4 disappointments in the Colorado/Canyon. The designer who came up with that should have to read this Forum every day for a year regarding these design failures.

Heck, I would give Chevy $300 right now to have door panel and center console storage similar to our 2015 Equinox. I hate the thought of having to cope with this that much! Make new door panels that we can buy and replace even if you redesign them to a better functioning future design.

Hey. . GM, these "little things need to be corrected PRONTO
if you wish to maintain the popularity of this otherwise great vehicle. Ford and Toyota drove the Gen I Colorado into non existence and GM saw a gap and was fortunate this time. . . for now.

I just filled out the GM survey for my 2017 Colorado LT and highlighted the disappointing door panels, seats (should be 6-way adjustable), lack of driver grab handle, no HomeLink garage door opener option, and a few other things.

It isn't just the forward slanting cup/can holder. What happens if you put an mostly full coffee or soda pop cup in there with the usual small opening and hit the brakes to come to a stop? Coffee or pop all over.

And what are we to do with all those little chopped up nooks and crannies in the rest of the door panel? Our 2015 Chevy Equinox has some intelligent design for cabin storage from the door panels to a very nice map pocket on the passenger side center console side panel.
RandyNC likes this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.

Last edited by GraniteBlue05; 04-22-2017 at 06:49 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
I agree. I think that's my main complaint about the interior of this truck. The door pockets are darned near useless. I think they're designed to be swoopey and cool looking, but not actually useful.

.boB
2016 Colorado: long bed, Z71, Mini-Duramax
www.RacingTheExocet.com
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 PM

Yup. I agree that the door pockets are not nearly as functional as they could be.

I also wish there was a flat load floor under the rear seats for loading cargo when the seats are not in use. In both the crew and extended cab, there are too many obstacles for loading cargo you don't want to put in the bed.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 02:17 AM

I have the Cocoa Dune brown interior. I bought some dark brown cozies (the thin ones) put them on water bottles in all four doors. They fit snugly and look nice. There is always water for whomever rides in my truck. I actually replaced the standard sized bottles with the 3/4 size ones which fit even better. I always have a drink cup with me, but it's nice to water if you need it.
CaryBosse likes this.

Don & Mary
2016 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD
(Motor Home Toad)
2" Leveling Kit
Amp Running Boards
BakFlip Toneau
OPT7 LED High beams
Morimoto LED Low Beams
Diode Dynamics LED Fog
HomeLink
Electric tailgate release
Pedal Commander
Air Lift Air Bags
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 AM

Garage
Door interior designer phoned this one in to the factory. I do store the key to my bed mounted toolbox and a shop rag to wipe hands before getting into truck. Interior storage not as good as my old Ranger.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:22 AM

The door panels are silly. I do find that one of these absorber chamois tubes fits perfectly in the door's cup holder though, handy for drying it off after washing.

https://www.amazon.com/Absorber-Synt...ar+wash+shammy

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Garage
Doors are for keeping you from falling out of the truck, not hauling your garbage around. Oddly enough, they have a giant rectangular storage space right behind the rear window.
24v, JBT, CaryBosse and 1 others like this.

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:32 PM

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Doors are for keeping you from falling out of the truck, not hauling your garbage around. Oddly enough, they have a giant rectangular storage space right behind the rear window.
I'm not gonna throw a pair of gloves and a flashlight in the bed and expect 'em to be there very long......

CheezyRiderAZ
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
That's not very helpful, and fairly short sighted.

Although that large rectangular area is a good spot for my spare tires and wheels, fuel containers, and pit boxes, it is not a good spot for the handicapped placard, the keys to the tailgate and trailer, or my pistol. :)

.boB
www.RacingTheExocet.com
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezyRiderAZ View Post
I'm not gonna throw a pair of gloves and a flashlight in the bed and expect 'em to be there very long......
Do you not have a center console and glove box? And rear storage under the back seats?
JBT likes this.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by .boB View Post
That's not very helpful, and fairly short sighted.
Is a thread complaining about something you can't change helpful? This site is 80% people bitching about things they can't change, that doesn't seem helpful or productive.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:06 PM

Garage
A shop rag, a cup (with lid) for your carwash quarters, a small flashlight and your sunglasses cuz you clipped your garage remote to the overhead glasses holder

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Is a thread complaining about something you can't change helpful? This site is 80% people bitching about things they can't change, that doesn't seem helpful or productive.
Actually, I think it is productive. When people complain about a design flaw, it gets other people thinking. Eventually, some one smarter than you and I will come up with a solution, and make some money off of it.

For example, here's a guy who makes door panels for cobra replicas. Nice little business for him.

HERBS CUSTOM COBRA DOOR PANELS

.boB
www.RacingTheExocet.com
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 PM
JBT

Garage
They are just small slim pockets, so what. I am amazed at the amount of stuff some people have to keep in their vehicle. I have to agree with @wildwest450
By the way, why would you stuff dirty rags and dirty gloves in the door of a brand new truck? Just don't get this. I throw my dirty gloves on the passenger floor mat till I get home. Why would I stuff them in my door? Lets trash the interior and complain we can't cram more stuff it? Anyhow, have fun.
wildwest450 likes this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 04-23-2017 at 11:20 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Birds of a feather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
They are just small slim pockets, so what. I am amazed at the amount of stuff some people have to keep in their vehicle. I have to agree with @wildwest450
By the way, why would you stuff dirty rags and dirty gloves in the door of a brand new truck? Just don't get this. I throw my dirty gloves on the passenger floor mat till I get home. Why would I stuff them in my door? Lets trash the interior and complain we can't cram more stuff it? Anyhow, have fun.
What I keep in my truck is my business only.

And stuffing two pair of dirty gloves in both front door panels is one of the first things I did. You see I bought a TRUCK, not a COWBOY CADILLAC.

Texorado
It's a TRUCK not a COWBOY CADILLAC!!!
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 AM

Never used door pockets anyway other than for a rag for wiping the window should the need arrive.

The doors to me are not a place I want too keep anything of value that could get knocked out. Also I do not put anything that rattles or could spill.

Now console storage or storage in the middle to me is what is imporatant.

In the big picture the door storage are just not that Important you me.

Also I do not leave anything in site from the outside as that is a good way to get broken in.
JBT likes this.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
That's were you're wrong...GM monitors all their car forums, highlighting a design deficiency is not a bad thing...granted some threads can go way over board in the complaints department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode