Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Don't understand the door pockets.

16K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  GraniteBlue05 
#1 ·
So I've had my 2017 Colorado extended cab for a couple of weeks and still trying to figure out what-is-what. I don't understand how or for what I can use the round sloping forward pockets on all four door panels. What is the purpose.

#3 · (Edited)
Or a fire extinguisher if you have 'em in the back doors too......

My '16 has 'em too!
I can't figure them out either and nobody I've talked to has any kind of logical explanation that'll satisfy me.
Personally I think they look stupid and they're pretty much a waste of space. Open 'em up and just give us an open area that we can actually use......

Rant over, if anyone has any good ideas as to what to put in 'em or use 'em for, I'm open to suggestions......

Attachments

#38 ·
This is genius. I will figure out an upper strap solution. My pockets usually get water bottles.
The small slots under the arm rest/grab handle get cans of pepper spray. I always have something ready.

#4 · (Edited)
The door panel "storage" is one of my top 4 disappointments in the Colorado/Canyon. The designer who came up with that should have to read this Forum every day for a year regarding these design failures.

Heck, I would give Chevy $300 right now to have door panel and center console storage similar to our 2015 Equinox. I hate the thought of having to cope with this that much! Make new door panels that we can buy and replace even if you redesign them to a better functioning future design.

Hey. . GM, these "little things need to be corrected PRONTO
if you wish to maintain the popularity of this otherwise great vehicle. Ford and Toyota drove the Gen I Colorado into non existence and GM saw a gap and was fortunate this time. . . for now.

I just filled out the GM survey for my 2017 Colorado LT and highlighted the disappointing door panels, seats (should be 6-way adjustable), lack of driver grab handle, no HomeLink garage door opener option, and a few other things.

It isn't just the forward slanting cup/can holder. What happens if you put an mostly full coffee or soda pop cup in there with the usual small opening and hit the brakes to come to a stop? Coffee or pop all over.

And what are we to do with all those little chopped up nooks and crannies in the rest of the door panel? Our 2015 Chevy Equinox has some intelligent design for cabin storage from the door panels to a very nice map pocket on the passenger side center console side panel.

Reactions: RandyNC
#6 ·
Yup. I agree that the door pockets are not nearly as functional as they could be.

I also wish there was a flat load floor under the rear seats for loading cargo when the seats are not in use. In both the crew and extended cab, there are too many obstacles for loading cargo you don't want to put in the bed.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I have the Cocoa Dune brown interior. I bought some dark brown cozies (the thin ones) put them on water bottles in all four doors. They fit snugly and look nice. There is always water for whomever rides in my truck. I actually replaced the standard sized bottles with the 3/4 size ones which fit even better. I always have a drink cup with me, but it's nice to water if you need it.

Reactions: CaryBosse
#8 ·
Door interior designer phoned this one in to the factory. I do store the key to my bed mounted toolbox and a shop rag to wipe hands before getting into truck. Interior storage not as good as my old Ranger.

#9 ·
#15 ·
A shop rag, a cup (with lid) for your carwash quarters, a small flashlight and your sunglasses cuz you clipped your garage remote to the overhead glasses holder

#17 · (Edited)
They are just small slim pockets, so what. I am amazed at the amount of stuff some people have to keep in their vehicle. I have to agree with @wildwest450
By the way, why would you stuff dirty rags and dirty gloves in the door of a brand new truck? Just don't get this. I throw my dirty gloves on the passenger floor mat till I get home. Why would I stuff them in my door? Lets trash the interior and complain we can't cram more stuff it? Anyhow, have fun. >:)

Reactions: wildwest450
#18 ·
Birds of a feather!

They are just small slim pockets, so what. I am amazed at the amount of stuff some people have to keep in their vehicle. I have to agree with @wildwest450
By the way, why would you stuff dirty rags and dirty gloves in the door of a brand new truck? Just don't get this. I throw my dirty gloves on the passenger floor mat till I get home. Why would I stuff them in my door? Lets trash the interior and complain we can't cram more stuff it? Anyhow, have fun. >:)
What I keep in my truck is my business only.

And stuffing two pair of dirty gloves in both front door panels is one of the first things I did. You see I bought a TRUCK, not a COWBOY CADILLAC. :grin2:

#19 ·
Never used door pockets anyway other than for a rag for wiping the window should the need arrive.

The doors to me are not a place I want too keep anything of value that could get knocked out. Also I do not put anything that rattles or could spill.

Now console storage or storage in the middle to me is what is imporatant.

In the big picture the door storage are just not that Important you me.

Also I do not leave anything in site from the outside as that is a good way to get broken in.

#21 ·
These door pockets are actually my biggest gripe about my '16 Canyon SLT. I came from a '14 Silverado LTZ w/ buckets, huge console and more slot storage than I could ever use. I totally understand 'mid-size' and can deal w/ the smaller console and trays but these door cards are totally useless to me, utterly stupid in fact. I can maybe store a shop towel in any of the shallow slots and the what... 'drink holder' is useless as well.

I could see one shallow slot on top for small convenient items but there's ample room for a deep slot on the lower door area also. Once I saw pics of the door w/ cards removed there is nothing on the door inner that would prevent deeper lower pockets.

GM needs to wake the hell up on this door pocket issue.

#22 ·
i'm really surprised nobody is selling aftermarket door panels.

#23 ·
Not near enough volume (yet) plus with all of the variations in color scheme (Colorado, Canyon - 2 colors)

Do all of the Colorado versions have same color scheme?

#25 ·
Sorry, patcty, I disagree. I had Ford rangers for over 20 years. The pockets on those doors were wide enough and deep enough to be useful. At 2" deep and 1.75" wide the doors on my Canyon are useless. I have a sunscreen for my windshield that folds down to a 6" X 3/4" circle. It barely fits in the door of my Canyon and frequently falls out when I open the door because the bin is so shallow. The tray in the center of the dash is likewise useless. All I can keep in it are a couple of pencils. In my Frontier I kept a small, 4" X 6" note pad along with a pencil. In the days before GPS I kept road maps in the doors of my Ranger. Fortunately I don't need maps today. They wouldn't fit in the doors of my Canyon anyway. I also kept my hand gun in drivers door. Being left handed it was very handy there. Almost everyone I know that got a Canyon or a Colorado, myself included, did so because it was the ONLY American "compact" truck and I/they didn't want/need a F150, Sierra-Silverado or a Dodge Ram. So 3 years ago when my 2000 Ranger gave up the ghost my choices were Tacoma or Frontier. I got a Frontier. I didn't like it so I got a GM product 2 years later. My first GM product in over 30 years. The truck itself is great. But there are so many things wrong with the interior of my Canyon, after less than a year I'm ready to get rid of it. In addition to a lack of storage space, no homelink (so I have to keep 1 of those stupid remotes on my visor.) No push button starter and a ignition keyhole that's hidden directly behind the steering wheel so you can't see it. Are just a couple of peeves I have. I can't afford to get rid of my Canyon right now but I will be in 2 more years. I read that Ford will have another Ranger ready for the 2018 or 2019 model year. If GM want's to keep me and many people who feel as I do as customers, they better fix some of these grievances.

#28 ·
Door Panels

My 2017 Canyon has those stupid door panels and I'm still trying to figure out what GM want us to use the pockets for . I wonder if they can be changed out with an earlier model truck door panel ?? Any body ever tried that ? I'm looking to change mine out if it's possible !!!

#29 ·
My 2017 Canyon has those stupid door panels and I'm still trying to figure out what GM want us to use the pockets for . I wonder if they can be changed out with an earlier model truck door panel ?? Any body ever tried that ? I'm looking to change mine out if it's possible !!!
Nothing from the 1st gen is going to fit the 2nd gen truck.

#32 ·
As a new Canyon owner most of my complaints were mentioned in post #4. For the price of these trucks, you would think you would have the amenities of a less expensive GM vehicle.

I came from a Nissan Frontier and the Canyon is head and shoulders above the frontier, but my Frontier had dual climate control, drivers grab handle, and usable door pockets....just saying.

Ken

#33 ·
I put a can of spray deicer in my slanted door pocket, a snug but perfect fit. This is a cup is half full or half empty things. If GM didn’t put these in and just used a flat door panel no one would be complaining. Of course, I wouldn’t store my deicer or sport bottle in the door. I’m fine with a design that includes all possible storage possibilities, some of which are less than optimal.

Reactions: 153537
#34 ·
I put a can of spray deicer in my slanted door pocket, a snug but perfect fit. This is a cup is half full or half empty things. If GM didn’t put these in and just used a flat door panel no one would be complaining. Of course, I wouldn’t store my deicer or sport bottle in the door. I’m fine with a design that includes all possible storage possibilities, some of which are less than optimal.
I bolded, underlined, and italicized the key point.

My Wrangler had these small door pockets that I was able to hang my garage door opener in, a few paper napkins, and a collapsible koozie wrap to keep my drinks cold.

GM stick a half arse cup holder in these doors and everyone is up in arms they can't fit their Big Gulp in there. (For you New Yorkers and Californians where Big Gulps are outlawed, your quart of tomato juice will not fit. )

I have a camping silverware set (stainless fork/knife/spoon) in my driver side, along with garage door opener and some napkins and my collapsible koozie. The other 3 doors each have a water bottle for emergencies, some absorbent rags, napkins, and whatever the grandkids have stuffed in them. While a traditional bottled water will fit in the cup holders, I like the little short ones better.

Actually, if GM could have forgone some of the door pocket to pick up an extra inch in interior width, I would have been on board with that move.

Reactions: Hunter62
#37 ·
gas card in the bottom slot, drink in the cup holder and safety pins in the top slot
(ya never know when a safety pin may come in handy)

#40 ·
My wife and I were driving around day before yesterday. On our way home, she commented that she REALLY LIKES THE DOOR POCKETS! She usually has a water bottle with her, and it fit perfectly. Great for road trips to keep the center cupholders available for whatever else. This thread came to mind when she said it. I hadn't paid much attention to them or had much of an opportunity to put things in them (I have less than 1500 miles on the clock so far), but now I know one thing they're good for.

Reactions: JBT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.