Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Simple 4WD Shift Selector Protector

21K views 38 replies 33 participants last post by  Bambihunter 
#1 ·
I don't know how many times I've hit the 4WD shift selector knob and had it rotate without noticing it. After rotating I'm usually in the wrong position for my driving conditions. Simple fix today.....3 inch flat black door pull from the local hardware store. Popped the panel off after removing two small screws on the bottom of the panel and then carefully drilled two small holes in the dash panel. Mounted the black handle and now my knee won't hit the shift knob again. Problem solved.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Worth the price of admission.

I have learned a boatload of stuff from you guys & gals and appreciate everyone's participation, even the trolls.

#8 ·
I wonder how many hits it will take before it breaks the plastic around the knob?

#12 ·
I have a 2WD, but I did manage to hit the light switch 1-2 times when I was getting out of the truck. Not sure how I managed it, was not paying any attention to the how or why since it did not do anything.

If you were to mount some razor blades on that little protector shown above, I bet you would master getting out without hitting it much sooner.

Reactions: Jnz
#15 ·
Not having seen the knob in person and assuming the outer ring rotates around the inner part what about drilling a small hole on the circumference through the outer ring into the inner ring about 3/8 to 1/2 inch deep and inserting a "pin" the kind with a small knob , when you need to 4 wheel just pull the pin and rotate the knob. Cosmetically hardly noticeable and no holes in the dash just a very small hole in knob...

#16 ·
Thanks for your post; great idea! I purchased the 4 in pull and covered both, now just need to decide if I want it black or not.

Attachments

#18 ·
The shifter location is better, but they really screwed up and installed the steering wheel on the wrong side!

#23 ·
Great fix for a poor design.

The wife took our Colorado back to the dealer because it would not go over 45 on a down hill section of US 58 while she was visiting family. First question was "Why is the transmission in 4WD?" So I have been looking from time to time at the knob, which is not easy to see AND is in a bad location.

#25 · (Edited)
Yeah... I nice little graphic pops up to tell you it's shifting into 4WD, so it shouldn't be hard to release an update to keep that graphic displayed while in 4WD.

#26 ·
I agree that there should be some indicator on the instrument panel that the truck is in 4WD.

But, this truck must have one fine power train for people to drive for extended periods of time in 4WD. My Wrangler would let me know it in no uncertain terms very quickly if I left it in 4WD on dry pavement.

Note: My Wrangler also has an indicator light on the instrument panel and a very noticeable gear shifter to select 4WD located next to the main transmission lever. It is pretty hard to accidentally select 4WD.

#27 ·
Interior Fab / Protect 4WD Knob from Knee

Are there any companies out there that do custom work that you can bring them? Or any forum members with experience? Not really sure where to go with this one, but t seems to me the 4WD knob that always gets bumped by knees could have a fairly simply short term band aid.

Picture a 2 liter bottle "cap" of sorts that would be slightly larger than the knob itself. It would connect via a small chain to a flat ring that sticks to the dash around the outside of the knob itself. When you aren't using 4WD the cap simply snaps into the flat ring, which prevents the knob from being hit. When you need 4WD you pull the cap, it hangs via the chain, and then you turn the knob.

Excuse the poor drawing, but just trying to give a visual reference of what I'm thinking:

Attachments

#34 · (Edited)
Why not just give us the vastly superior interior of the Holden and quit messing things up on our version? Holden seems to have gotten everything right. Great window switches, drive controls that can actually be seen and used when driving located in a logical spot on the center console and look, the foot operated clunky e-brake pedal (that hidden monster that likes to bite your left foot when departing the truck if you wear a size 3 or larger shoe) has changed into a much more usable hand lever! I'll bet that Holden even gave the Australians a dead pedal for their left foot. Will the miracles ever cease?
What hamster brain thought that a great place to put the 4 wheel drive selector switch and light controls was where you can't see either when seated behind the wheel? It's hard to tell from the Holden interior picture but, oh my God!, there may only be just a single cup holder. Well there you have it, no red blooded American can possibly live without at least three million barrel sized cup holders eating up real estate on the center console of their vehicles. We got cup holders and Australia got a great interior. Slick move GM.

#36 · (Edited)
Do a search for 4WD Knob issues. Someone posted this, a cabinet pull, and thought it was a great idea. I installed a black one, and have had no more issues of bumping my knob into 4WD. Cheap and easy to install.

Your picture is like the first one posted in this thread. . . . .:grin2:

But seriously. .. how about a much larger handle there since there is no driver side *Grab* handle? Then it would be dual purpose . .. . :serious:

#37 · (Edited)
Alright sorry for the big bump but I'm going to have to add one of these guards to the 4wd Knob, and install indicator light. 75000 miles and I've never really had an issue, but it has always concerned me that I will be in the wrong drive mode at the wrong time since there is no indicator light. The roads in my area can vary from snow to dry/slightly wet back to snow and so forth frequently, so I find myself flipping between 2wd and 4wd often. Once I thought I was switching to 4wd but turned off my headlights, in the snow on a dark road! ?
Today i thought I was turning on my parking lights but ended up driving all the way home (25mi) in 4wd on dry roads, my front tires took a bit of a beating, hopefully the xfer case and diff are alright. The good news is most of the drive was highway, which is why I didn't notice(tires sounded louder than normal but I didn't think much of it) until I pulled into my driveway and the tires fought me.

Has anyone come up with other options besides the cabinet pulls? Maybe like a different Knob or a silicone ring around it so it doesn't feel identical to the headlight one?

#39 ·
I do not like either the light or 4wd control locations there either. I am 6'4", but I sit close to the wheel because if I don't, I tend to slouch which kills my already bad back. For me, I've gotten to where I feel it most of the time. Regardless, I always glance at the cluster to make sure the 4wd isn't lit. I can't really change me. I'm not going to slide my seat back and forth each time, and I am not going to modify the vehicle, so I just check. I certainly understand the desire for this guard however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.