Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

vent valve code

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rodniron 
#1 ·
Hi
My 2006 got the CEL code p0449 and p0455. Dealer says I need a new vent valve for fuel evap. system. Dealer wants $265 to replace, local garage wants $211.
I guess the part costs $175.
I read somewhere you can use the vent valve for a 2006 suburban in a 2006 silverado and the price is like $25. Supposedly you just need to swap out the hose.
Does anyone know if the same is true for a Colorado? Can I use the part from a 2006 Suburban?
Any answers are super appreciated.

#2 ·
Take the existing one off, clean it, exercise it, and reinstall. That fixed mine 6 months ago. The valve is attached to the charcoal canister which is located under the bed just in front of the spare tire. It is held in place with one bolt. Disconnect the two lines and one electrical plug. Remove the one bolt, and the assembly will almost fall out in your hands. You may want to drop the spare tire first for more room, but it will come out without dropping the tire.

#4 ·
Yes manually. or you can put 12 volts across the coil repeatedly. Just blow out the dirt. Take the cap off of the end I if I remember right there is a small foam filter in there. I could be wrong on the filter. Just clean it up and reinstall it.

#6 ·
Took off canister and cleaned out valve and all hoses. Still getting CEL code.
It looks like valve has a crack in the plastic, so I am assuming it is toast.

I read somewhere that a Hummer H2 valve is the same but much cheaper.
H2 valve doesn't come with hose so I would need to reuse old hose.
Colorado valve is $109 and H2 valve is $35.

Has anyone out there tried replacing vent valve with one from an H2?
Thanks

#9 ·
yes did it and it works fine with the napa part, 299$ in canada and the difference is the hose, use a heatgun to get the old hose off the old part and use the heatgun to put it back on. this part will work, changed mine and cel did not come back, and code is gone. 58$ i paid, great tip form this site. rodniron

#8 ·
The vent valve for an H2 Hummer does work on your Colorado! It is the same exact A/C Delco part but without a hose on it.
I bought one off Gmpartsdirect.com for 25$ or so.
Just had to have a mechanic put a new hose on it, that cost me like $30.
Total was $55 and it was really easy to replace, I just followed another thread on this website. The CEL is off.
Thanks for everyones help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.