First oil change V-6 only - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKVANSTINKLE View Post
All those articles are getting old. The baby boomers are just frustrated becaus now we can figure out how to change a cars oil with Google in 10 minutes and your still trying to program the vcr. don't take it the wrong way. Even though it took me a few minutes I do appreciate my new skill. Also I got the right plug the first try. Idk how you can mistake it either.
I hear you, but I use to hire a lot of workers. I had a hard time finding people who didn't mind getting their hands dirty, and who had some mechanical aptitude. Yet, for the workers I was hiring, those skill sets would pay 30-50% more than a basic laborer.

First job as an engineer out of college I was walking the production line. One of the cute workers called me over and said her machine was not working right. I had never seen the machine before, she was just trying to flirt with the new engineer probably. I asked for an allen wrench, made an adjustment, checked it out, made a further adjustment, and then the machine started making good parts. The worker and all the other ladies around her were shocked that I could figure out something I had never seen before so quickly.

The downside to that story, though I never got dinged for it: No telling how many rules I broke in that union shop making that adjustment.

Part of the issues we have with finding good workers to build our trucks is this same issue: No one learns these skillsets as a young person. How many of you had an Erector Set growing up? Legos do not teach the same skillsets as an Erector Set.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 PM

I hear you, but I use to hire a lot of workers. I had a hard time finding people who didn't mind getting their hands dirty, and who had some mechanical aptitude. Yet, for the workers I was hiring, those skill sets would pay 30-50% more than a basic laborer.

First job as an engineer out of college I was walking the production line. One of the cute workers called me over and said her machine was not working right. I had never seen the machine before, she was just trying to flirt with the new engineer probably. I asked for an allen wrench, made an adjustment, checked it out, made a further adjustment, and then the machine started making good parts. The worker and all the other ladies around her were shocked that I could figure out something I had never seen before so quickly.

The downside to that story, though I never got dinged for it: No telling how many rules I broke in that union shop making that adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Part of the issues we have with finding good workers to build our trucks is this same issue: No one learns these skillsets as a young person. How many of you had an Erector Set growing up? Legos do not teach the same skillsets as an Erector Set.
Logical progression of mechanical aptitude: Legos, erector set, bicycle, lawnmower, mini-bike, Mom's Mercury Comet, new GM product. Oh yeah, steam turbines, superabrasive grinding machines, and laser target designators for the F18. .

Ordered 11/10/14: 2015 Colorado LT EC,4wd, Red Rock Metallic, Conv and Luxury package, G80, Bose & Nav, 18" dark argent wheels, black assist steps, bed mat, bed divider, tow package.
Event status 3000 12/15/14. Still at 3000 12/29/14. Status 3000 01/05/15. Status 3000 01/12/15. Status 3400 no VIN or TPW 01/17/15. Got VIN, and waiting transportation 01/27/15. On the train 02/04/15. At dealer 02/13/15, taking delivery 02/18/15; 100 days stock to dock.
post #43 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:53 PM

Sorry, screwed up that post. Should have deleted Carys first paragraphs.

Ordered 11/10/14: 2015 Colorado LT EC,4wd, Red Rock Metallic, Conv and Luxury package, G80, Bose & Nav, 18" dark argent wheels, black assist steps, bed mat, bed divider, tow package.
Event status 3000 12/15/14. Still at 3000 12/29/14. Status 3000 01/05/15. Status 3000 01/12/15. Status 3400 no VIN or TPW 01/17/15. Got VIN, and waiting transportation 01/27/15. On the train 02/04/15. At dealer 02/13/15, taking delivery 02/18/15; 100 days stock to dock.

post #44 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:15 PM

i actually did have an erector set growing up. and i actually took a solar powered motor from one of my sets and fitted it to a small wooden car frame i made from my grandpas scraps in his workshop in third grade. the motor was used to power a windmill (ironic), resulting in a very slow car. I've worked as a carpenter an electrician (well under one) and am a captain (did about 20 oil changes on inboard wake boarding boats this summer, hence the "ever on a car") while also running a wakeboard boat in the dominican republic for several months, not in an all inclusive resort but in a town where if you needed a part you couldn't go to the store and get one or even order one, you had find a way to either ghetto rig it or fabricate it yourself. society sets the social norms not the individual, have faith in the young guns.
how did the side winder missile get its name?
and lastly to segway back on topic, my colorado is running well after the change
post #45 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow, little did I know that writing a thread to just pass on some tips that I learned after changing my oil on my new truck for the first time would generate so much response. Though it is my hope that my advise has helped others not leave a quart or more of oil on the floor after taking on such task, I did not intend to make this a forum on generational differences. I'm all for free speech, but no one wins or learns when comment turn personally critical. This is a great site for good advise and information. Let's keep it that way.
post #46 of 146 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:32 PM

I have a strong dislike for letting anyone work on my vehicles. Been doing my own since my first car back in 1975. (I am not one of the young kids anymore..lol). I have had some bad experiences with shop oil changes. I have had them drain oil and not change filter, change filter and not drain oil at all, not tighten filter and have oil leak everywhere and get a low oil warning light. I even had a old ford ranger where the stupid mechanic cross threaded the filter. In the old school train of thought, if you want it done right, do it yourself. That way if it is screwed up no one to blame but yourself. Admitting it is harder to work on these computers they call engines now but I still do all my tune-ups, oil changes, brake jobs etc. Only time shop does it is if requires some type special 10mm wrench that costs $400. Even then, I may try to make the tool myself.
post #47 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 11:59 PM

Hey great tips! My dad and I have been changing our oil together for ages at least 10+years (22yrs old now). My 2015 Col is my first vehicle ever! and it's getting close to a oil change I've been looking all over the internet to find out where the heck the drain plug is!
Also I see you recommended using a torque wrench at 25lbs, I've never used one always crank them on, I've only destroyed 1 plug :D
We always do our own oil, my dad used to do oil changes when in teens, hes told me about horror stories... We had our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee oil done at dealer when we got home we went under to check, and the oil filter was so loose you could unscrew it with your pinkie.....

Here is a picture of my truck where I think the plug is...

2015 Chevy Colorado V6 4x4 Z71 Crew Long Box
Rampage Tailgate LED Bar, Husky Liners, Reese Tri-Ball with Hook and Trimax Receiver Lock
post #48 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta6326 View Post
Hey great tips! My dad and I have been changing our oil together for ages at least 10+years (22yrs old now). My 2015 Col is my first vehicle ever! and it's getting close to a oil change I've been looking all over the internet to find out where the heck the drain plug is!
Also I see you recommended using a torque wrench at 25lbs, I've never used one always crank them on, I've only destroyed 1 plug :D
We always do our own oil, my dad used to do oil changes when in teens, hes told me about horror stories... We had our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee oil done at dealer when we got home we went under to check, and the oil filter was so loose you could unscrew it with your pinkie.....

Here is a picture of my truck where I think the plug is...
That's the correct plug. Hope my description of it helped. The 25lb reference though refers to the torque specs for the oil filter housing cap on top of the engine. I do not know of any specs for the oil drain plug. I personally just hand tighten it, then give it a 1/2 to full twist with the socket wrench until it's firmly in place but not back breaking tight. You don't want to crush the washer. That you should replace periodically.
post #49 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:15 AM

Awesome thanks! this should be a easy change then! and when I was under I thought boy this sure looks like the oil is going to come shooting out.
That sounds similar to what I do when tightening the socket.

Also if you want you can add the picture to your first post that way people know what to look for. I'm sure most members here know, but for people like me that get here from google.

No space in between I and M
[I MG]http://img.techpowerup.org/150101/Capture1467.jpg[/IMG]

2015 Chevy Colorado V6 4x4 Z71 Crew Long Box
Rampage Tailgate LED Bar, Husky Liners, Reese Tri-Ball with Hook and Trimax Receiver Lock

Last edited by Delta6326; 01-02-2015 at 01:18 AM.
post #50 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:14 PM

For stories like these, it would be nice to share a real-life torque spec. I think one could learn the torque spec with a call to a dealership service department.

Sorry, but 'hand tightening and turning one turn' can mean a lot of different things depending on how you are. The condition of the treads. The sensitivity of your finger tips, etc.

Without a wrench in my hand, one full turn sounds like a lot to me, from when he bolt is bottomed out by fingers.

Common sense for sure. But if a person is in doubt, then a torque wrench should be utilized.

Yeah yeah I know....just more useless words here to push the thread count up to more ridiculousness. Who cares about this info, right? :D
post #51 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 PM

There was a video posted on here, can't find it now. It was one of the TFL guys, I think. He was at the demo drive out in San Diego, and he was walking around the truck they had tilted up in the side and talking about features. The video showed the underside really well, including the oil and transmission pans.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3lO1LRB4dc

If you look around 3 minute mark you can see the oil and transmission pans several times. I am assuming the 4 and 6 cyl engines are similar. The transmission pan is "surrounded" by the exhaust pipes on the 6 cylinder engine as shown.

The oil sump is just forward of the transmission pan, the transmission pan is flat bottomed with a drain plug. I never understood why older vehicles did not have drain plugs in the transmission pans. That used to be one of the messiest regular maintenance jobs to do.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #52 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
There was a video posted on here, can't find it now. It was one of the TFL guys, I think. He was at the demo drive out in San Diego, and he was walking around the truck they had tilted up in the side and talking about features. The video showed the underside really well, including the oil and transmission pans.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3lO1LRB4dc

If you look around 3 minute mark you can see the oil and transmission pans several times. I am assuming the 4 and 6 cyl engines are similar. The transmission pan is "surrounded" by the exhaust pipes on the 6 cylinder engine as shown.

The oil sump is just forward of the transmission pan, the transmission pan is flat bottomed with a drain plug. I never understood why older vehicles did not have drain plugs in the transmission pans. That used to be one of the messiest regular maintenance jobs to do.
Thanks Excellant video. "Show n Tell" videos are always best!

From my experience in the automotive world,lack of transmission drain plugs "on automatic transmissions" have been absent for many many years,(American & European).
Their reasons vary according to Manufacturers and Dealers. At least those whom I've spoken too.
Manufacturing Costs always seem to be their first answer,when it comes to any design changes......seconded by, with today's parts/fluids requiring less or "No maintenance" (for example VW transmissions),they have longer durations between service.

The biggest complaint amongst myself and others...."Like the rest of the World"
...Engineers design and build.....everybody else has to Work on it. HeHeHe!
post #53 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V GEHTS View Post
Thanks Excellant video. "Show n Tell" videos are always best!

From my experience in the automotive world,lack of transmission drain plugs "on automatic transmissions" have been absent for many many years,(American & European).
Their reasons vary according to Manufacturers and Dealers. At least those whom I've spoken too.
Manufacturing Costs always seem to be their first answer,when it comes to any design changes......seconded by, with today's parts/fluids requiring less or "No maintenance" (for example VW transmissions),they have longer durations between service.

The biggest complaint amongst myself and others...."Like the rest of the World"
...Engineers design and build.....everybody else has to Work on it. HeHeHe!
Actually, back in the day, I think the vehicle usually crapped out before most people changed their transmission fluid. Remember when 75K was a high mileage vehicle.

post #54 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, back in the day, I think the vehicle usually crapped out before most people changed their transmission fluid. Remember when 75K was a high mileage vehicle.
HA!......you bet'cha...!
post #55 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:19 PM

In reality, transmission pan was usually a thin piece of sheet metal, so the cost to add a plug would probably double or triple the costs of a pan. The design of the transmissions with a filter internal required dropping the pan and a new gasket anyway, so it was an easy choice I suppose. Engine Oil had to be changed more often and the filter was external to the sump.

post #56 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:27 PM

The Fords (C4,C6) and Chrysler torqueflites of the 60's and 70's also had drain plugs in the torque convertors. Still had to drain though to get to the filter.

post #57 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 06:05 AM

Since it is a new truck, I let the dealer do mine at 4500. I did forget to ask for an oil analysis, oh well.

also, it was free. all mine are free for the first 24k
post #58 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to scalz Send a message via MSN to scalz
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsraider View Post
also, it was free. all mine are free for the first 24k
Not Doubting you but most new trucks come with only 4 free changes in two years. Might want to check fine print. Unless your dealer gave you a special deal. If so, I'm jealous!
post #59 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Sorry. it is 4 free in the first 2/24. but ive only had it for two months and already at 6k. so ill hit 24k before 2 years. so they will all be free :)
Vettesniper likes this.
post #60 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Re. oil change timing, I had my Canyon in last week to have some accessories installed--the service guy said he recommends oil changes every 5000 miles. Said he doesn't like to wait for the "change oil," notification. Sounds reasonable to me, and is what I've done with previous vehicles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode