Trifecta Tune - user impressions - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 415Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Trifecta Tune - user impressions

Just loaded the Trifecta tune into my Colorado. Everything went smooth. Did notice after the initial tune was loaded that it looked like things were done. The screen showed a dialog box which vanished suddenly making it look like the tune was done loading. I waited a bit... and sure enough, another dialog box appeared showing more tuning going on. It was about a 10 second delay between dialog boxes. This is where I think people who have purchased the tune are turning off the key and unplugging the cable. When the tune is finished installing, a dialog box pops up and says "install complete. you may now turn off the key and remove the cable." This is most likely why some of the tunes aren't working properly...the tune isn't finished installing. So how does it transform the truck? It's amazing...just night and day better than stock. You immediately feel the extra low end power. This is where this tune is providing the extra power. The truck no longer struggles to accelerate. Throttle response is great. It feels like I'm driving my 6.2 Silverado. Just amazed how much more torque is available. It's totally worth every penny. I have 6K miles on my truck now. Wish I had this tune 5999 miles ago. I'll keep everyone posted as I get more time in the saddle!

lennstang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 PM

Be interesting to see what this does to MPGs as well.
videobored likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #3 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 10:03 PM

Hurry up and get it on the brothers dyno already...

2015 Colorado Lt

post #4 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 10:13 PM

There's a YouTube video I watched on the EZ FLASH tune program and install that walks you through everything. I'll try and locate it. But yea if you've never dealt with programming a car with a trans and engine calibration I can see how after that first one finishes you could rip that cord out a little pre maturely.
post #5 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenadak1 View Post
Hurry up and get it on the brothers dyno already...
Next week! LOL
I also video tape the pulls. Just hope the tune unlocked the speed limiter or everything will be limited to 99 mph.

lennstang
post #6 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:05 AM

did you dyno before ? this way you now the actual increases ?

2015 Canyon, crew cab, all terrain, 4x4, v6, BFG AT TA KO2 265/70/17 tires with a zone 1.25" kit
post #7 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 AM

Garage
Lenn - What level of tune did you get: the free demo; the $299 tune; or the $699 elite?
post #8 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.edwards View Post
How does one get a free demo? And what stops people from buying it and sharing it?
I saw in the Trifecta thread (from 12/2014) that they could send you a demo tune if you email them and ask. Although I don't know if this is still available.

As far as copying and sharing a tune, I believe you can't as tunes are VIN specific.
post #9 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM

I installed the tune also, I'd be curious to hear if you're having any lower speed issues? On mine, when I slow down to a stop, the transmission sort of jerks the truck, like if a torque converter was locked and let go. Let me know what yours does. I'll be sending logs to wot-tuning to capture the behavior, otherwise it's been a good tune, haven't noticed a big jump in eco mode yet for MPGs.
post #10 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogeek View Post
I installed the tune also, I'd be curious to hear if you're having any lower speed issues? On mine, when I slow down to a stop, the transmission sort of jerks the truck, like if a torque converter was locked and let go. Let me know what yours does. I'll be sending logs to wot-tuning to capture the behavior, otherwise it's been a good tune, haven't noticed a big jump in eco mode yet for MPGs.
i was experience something similar to that in eco mode, it almost felt like the engine was stalling and not going to first fast enough. it would finally down shift when i was practically at a stop. i did feel something off in the normal tune mode wen at slow speeds as well for the first 2 weeks or so of having it. its gotten a bit better recently. i for sure think they need to make some transmission adjustments at the lower speeds. i told them about it this morning and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's noticing it. they'll be able to dial it in more as long as people keep capturing it and sending the logs to them.
also try driving with the cruise control set on a speed. thats when i get the biggest mpg increases. 60/65 and lower is where I'm seeing the best improvement. i have a 10 mile trip from my house to work, during that stretch there only 2 lights and the speed limit ranges from 40-50. this allows me to set the cruise and i get 26-28 mpg consistently.
Its a good sign that there only seems to be this one flaw with the lower speed shifting, i think it should be fairly easy to correct. I'm also interested/excited for more owners to start using the tune and giving more feedback to wot-tuning to try and improve on an already good tune
post #11 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:13 PM

Garage
Chuck - same question:

What level of tune did you get: the free demo; the $299 tune; or the $699 elite?
post #12 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:41 PM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKVANSTINKLE View Post
i was experience something similar to that in eco mode, it almost felt like the engine was stalling and not going to first fast enough. it would finally down shift when i was practically at a stop. i did feel something off in the normal tune mode wen at slow speeds as well for the first 2 weeks or so of having it. its gotten a bit better recently. i for sure think they need to make some transmission adjustments at the lower speeds. i told them about it this morning and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's noticing it. they'll be able to dial it in more as long as people keep capturing it and sending the logs to them.
also try driving with the cruise control set on a speed. thats when i get the biggest mpg increases. 60/65 and lower is where I'm seeing the best improvement. i have a 10 mile trip from my house to work, during that stretch there only 2 lights and the speed limit ranges from 40-50. this allows me to set the cruise and i get 26-28 mpg consistently.
Its a good sign that there only seems to be this one flaw with the lower speed shifting, i think it should be fairly easy to correct. I'm also interested/excited for more owners to start using the tune and giving more feedback to wot-tuning to try and improve on an already good tune
reasons like this is why I'm going with a street tune. With the tuner sitting in the front passenger seat, they will be able to feel any issues and on the fly, make the adjustments to the programming.

no adjusting, making a guess, sending back, reloading, testing, sending backing, adjusting again.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #13 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:29 PM

I mean do you. If you think it's worth having someone do that for your mid sized daily driver truck go for it. You'll just end up doing a lot of work and spend a lot of money on dynoing and esentially doing the same thing trifecta has already done except minus the entire business dedicated to your specific truck model and engine. lets hope the street tuner your going to use has a lot of experience with the v6 camaro or you get lucky. That sort of tuning works best with guys who specialize in a certain type of car not on a vehicle that has been around for a few months.
This is an excellent option for those who want a tested and researched calibration that is very individualized. I didn't like something so I plugged my flasher in, data logged and sent it to trifecta and they got back to me that day. Will you have this street tuner get in your car and make adjustments after you drive the truck for a few days and realize you don't like something?

I got the elite package.
post #14 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:46 PM

What does this do to the warranty? I am very curious as to the end outcomes, hope you all can convince me.

2015 Black Canyon
Crew Cab Short Box All Terrain
post #15 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 PM
ADMIN

Garage
Quote:
I mean do you. If you think it's worth having someone do that for your mid sized daily driver truck go for it. You'll just end up doing a lot of work and spend a lot of money on dynoing and esentially doing the same thing trifecta has already done except minus the entire business dedicated to your specific truck model and engine. lets hope the street tuner your going to use has a lot of experience with the v6 camaro or you get lucky. That sort of tuning works best with guys who specialize in a certain type of car not on a vehicle that has been around for a few months.
This is an excellent option for those who want a tested and researched calibration that is very individualized. I didn't like something so I plugged my flasher in, data logged and sent it to trifecta and they got back to me that day. Will you have this street tuner get in your car and make adjustments after you drive the truck for a few days and realize you don't like something?

I got the elite package.
The guy I use has been tuning GM vehicles for many a years now. He tuned my 08 Colorado. He's an electrical technician for the local GMC dealer and he's already been working on these trucks ever since they've hit the lots and before hand in the V6 Camaros.

If I need to have him make any adjustments, he would certainly do so.
BAxberg likes this.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #16 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 PM

Chuck, thanks for the reply, was hoping I wasn't the only one having low speed issues, and what you described is exactly what is happening to me. I'll try capturing tomorrow and sending in logs, good that they're hearing it from more than one person.
Kawika likes this.
post #17 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
Lenn - What level of tune did you get: the free demo; the $299 tune; or the $699 elite?
$299 tune.

lennstang
post #18 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
did you dyno before ? this way you now the actual increases ?
Yes, it's posted on here somewhere. Couldn't do a full pull because the speed limiter was kicking in at 99 mph.

lennstang
post #19 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennstang View Post
because the speed limiter was kicking in at 99 mph.
Eh...what?
post #20 of 952 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 01:25 AM
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors

Arrow

Quote:
Just loaded the Trifecta tune into my Colorado. Everything went smooth.
Quote:
So how does it transform the truck? It's amazing...just night and day better than stock. You immediately feel the extra low end power. This is where this tune is providing the extra power. The truck no longer struggles to accelerate. Throttle response is great. It feels like I'm driving my 6.2 Silverado. Just amazed how much more torque is available. It's totally worth every penny. I have 6K miles on my truck now. Wish I had this tune 5999 miles ago. I'll keep everyone posted as I get more time in the saddle!

Thanks for the kind words and positive review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.edwards View Post
How does one get a free demo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
I saw in the Trifecta thread (from 12/2014) that they could send you a demo tune if you email them and ask.

Hello kevin.edwards,

With the TRIFECTA calibration for the MY2015+ Chevrolet Colorado and the MY2015+ GMC Canyon the sluggish off idle power, response, and drivability are areas that we have specifically addressed and have improved vastly over stock; if you look at the dyno graph in the link below, one of the key areas we pick up power on is between just off idle to about 2500 RPM. Low end torque and throttle response are both vastly improved with just the calibration installed; and we're currently offering demo/trial calibrations! (just email us for a free to try calibration, see link below for details)

We also include speedometer recalibrations as a service for users whom have installed lift kits and larger tires; the transmission shift points and even the power envelope is tire size and mass specific in the TRIFECTA calibration for the MY2015+ Chevrolet Colorado and the MY2015+ GMC Canyon: individualization per vehicle (custom tuning) is available! (We can also adjust the shift points so that RPM/gear scaling is correct.)

LINK: http://coloradofans.com/forums/185-e...ec-2014-a.html

Would you like a demo TRIFECTA calibration (TRIFECTA Try Before You Buy, speed limited to XX MPH) for your MY2015 Chevrolet Colorado or MY2015 GMC Canyon? (The demo calibrations include all of the TRIFECTA Advantage Calibration features with the exception of being speed limited)

We offer demo Chevrolet Colorado MY2015+ and GMC Canyon MY2015+ calibrations that are free to try because of our confidence in our product development and refined drivability. If anyone wants to try out our calibrations just send us an email and we're happy to dispatch a demo cal!

If you're interested, please email TRIFECTA customer support and mention this offer!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Chuck, thanks for the reply, was hoping I wasn't the only one having low speed issues, and what you described is exactly what is happening to me. I'll try capturing tomorrow and sending in logs, good that they're hearing it from more than one person.

Hello jimogeek (and CHUCKVANSTINKLE),

We are working to replicate the described event on our development platforms: if successfully replicated an individualized calibration and/or incremental update will be issued to address the event/condition immediately.

However, what I can tell you is that this event does not occur on all vehicles: a datalog of the event will help us to narrow down the vehicle conditions that this is occurring on; out of our development platforms that we started with, low speed drivability is a specific focus and the transmission shifts consistently smooth. Based on the limited reports so far, it may be possible that this condition only exists on a small percentage/minority of vehicles and at that with varying severity depending on vehicle. (jimogeek and CHUCKVANSTINKLE, you guys may be describing something different from one another)

This is not to say that there is not a problem, but its one that we did not come across previously: please accept our apologies for the less than perfect experience while we are working to address and improve the exact conditionset/event.

Thank you,

Kayla@TRIFECTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
reasons like this is why I'm going with a street tune. With the tuner sitting in the front passenger seat, they will be able to feel any issues and on the fly, make the adjustments to the programming.

no adjusting, making a guess, sending back, reloading, testing, sending backing, adjusting again.

The primary area of concern when addressing a street tune or tuner is: not all tunes are created equal. What is delivered will depend on the circumstances of when the vehicle was tuned and the proficiency of the tuner.

For example, with the "street tune" process that you're describing, what if you discover something that you don't like after you drive away from the tuner? Would your tuner charge for a retune?:

With a TRIFECTA calibration, when compared against a street tune or tuner or "artisan tuner", with a developed and validated calibration we have the following advantages:

1. We do our R&D on our own vehicles: with an "artisan tuner" the learning process is completed on your vehicle, and without any longevity testing or the ability to reproduce the issues reported on a development platform vehicle, depending on the work done troubleshooting anything will require you to bring the vehicle back to the tuner; the process will be more difficult especially if the operating conditions are different between where the tuner is located vs where you are located. For example, a cold start issue or something that you only experience while doing something very specific, etc.

Also previous experience with tuning a bunch of vehicles does not directly translate to proficiency and perfection on a particular vehicle especially if the "artisan tuner" does not have their own vehicle themselves to complete development and testing with.

This is not to say that all artisan tuners are bad however, for example, if you own a Corvette C6 and have altered the hardware (aftermarket mods) extensively, such as a heads/cam package, aftermarket fuel injectors, and lets say a turbo kit on top of that, an artisan tuner will still be the most expedient method to at least get the vehicle driving. We have a substantial number of partner shops that use our calibration software/tools to facilitate a thriving ecosystem; however we are their preference for tuning tools not only because we have the most complete software suite and table support out there, but specifically because we provide our validation data and divergent environmental calculation models based on our own validation process for those vehicle types that we are their first preference.

To clarify, our distinguishing qualities are not just that we support things that others do not, but instead our best distinguishing quality is that we have the validation (testing) data to go along with our first to market vehicle support.

2. The data sample collected: with multiple in house development platforms for any vehicle type, we do our own development, validation, and testing on our own vehicles. For example, we test and develop based on our testing across all plausible environments, such as elevation, different climates, and then what happens if you have adverse fuel, etc. With an "artisan tuner", this process is limited usually to the brief period of time that the artisan tuner would spend with the vehicle: This process in my opinion is inherently flawed because if developing a correct tune on your vehicle takes two weeks, what are you going to do? Leave your vehicle with the artisan tuner for two weeks?

With any TRIFECTA calibration and/or TRIFECTA powerkit solution, what you are getting is the accumulation of thousands of hours of development time and testing across divergent environments. So your TRIFECTA calibrated MY2015 Chevrolet Colorado or MY2015 GMC Canyon will perform consistently, reliably, and consistently reliably no matter where you're at. We develop, test, and then validate thoroughly at all plausible environments, be it the mountains of Colorado or a sunny Florida beach, so that vehicle reliability will be as good as or exceed stock specifications and requirements.

This data also applies to the entire power envelope and hardware power tolerances: for example, what happens if you apply greater power to the transmission in a Cadillac ATS LFX (same engine and similar transmission to the MY2015 Chevrolet Colorado 3.6 V6 LFX / MY2015 GMC Canyon 3.6 V6 LFX)? Lets DOUBLE the power output and then find out!

LINK: http://coloradofans.com/forums/185-e...th-2014-a.html

http://i62.tinypic.com/1zc0oio.jpg

3. With any TRIFECTA calibration we provide the functionality to return the vehicle to stock at any time without incrementing the ECM write counter or increment entries in the flash history. The choice to either have your vehicle stock or calibrated is a choice (with the TRIFECTA calibration series) that you can make at home without the limitation that you'd have to take it to your tuner to effect.

This again does not apply to your extensively modified Corvette C6 because returning the hardware to stock will be far more difficult than spending the 15 minutes to return your vehicle completely to stock with a TRIFECTA calibration.

The TRIFECTA powertrain recalibration for the MY2015 Chevrolet Colorado 3.6 LFX and the MY2015 GMC Canyon 3.6 LFX is also undetectable by any current or known GM diagnostic tools (does not increment write counter, and does not increment flash history entries, matches all CVN, checksums, and file hashes in the E92 ECM; retroactive flash history entry deletion for our partners/affiliates/friends/etc).

We provide this functionality as so that our customers will not be wronged by an aggressive dealership during a dealership visit. Besides dealership visits what if you wanted to effect a specific individualization or if you're trading in the vehicle for something else? To not have the ability to return the vehicle back to stock whenever you want is in my opinion is a pretty serious limitation and affects the freedom to do quite a few things with your truck for example.

4. GM periodically issues calibration updates to address bugfixes, erratum, and/or to add new features or to effect vehicle recalls. A street tune will be tuned for when the artisan tuner last accessed the vehicle; our policy is to issue incremental updates corresponding with new GM calibration files, usually concurrently.

For any hardware based TSB's and/or part recalls, if you need to take a completely stock truck back to your local dealership, just flash your vehicle back to stock: your truck is still dealership friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue15ColoradoLT View Post
and before hand in the V6 Camaros.

The MY2015 Chevrolet Colorado 3.6 V6 LFX and the MY2015 GMC Canyon 3.6 V6 LFX do not share the same ECM as the MY2012+ Chevrolet Camaro 3.6 V6 LFX.

The MY2015 Chevrolet Colorado 3.6 V6 LFX and the MY2015 GMC Canyon 3.6 V6 LFX use the E92 controller.

Thanks again,

Kayla@TRIFECTA
CIWS1982 and km4rzt like this.

Last edited by Kayla@TRIFECTA; 01-16-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode