Battery voltage? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to crabbcat Send a message via MSN to crabbcat
They put a new BCM in mine, got it back today. We will see if it fixes it.

2016 Colorado WT/3.6/ Ex cab/4x4/G80/Tow package/ Z71 wheels & tires/Zone1.25 /bowtie floor mats/Kenwood double din/ Westin oval step bars/GM bed mat&tailgate protector/tinted windows&eyebrow/aftermarket fogs/badges blacked out/partial air dam delete/AVS Aero skin hood protector, Trifold hard cover. Pedal Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
It's smart system and will vary charging voltage as needed. (This should be a sticky)

From the Electrical Manual:

Charging System Description and Operation

Electrical Power Management Overview
**SNIP ***

I agree it should be a sticky.

What years did this write up apply to (1st gen, 2nd gen, or both)?

Thanks

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 12:35 PM

^^^From the 2nd Gen electrical manual.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 PM

Garage
Laser Printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Hey there savagebob, I had the pleasure of repairing patrol cars for 20 years. I've been retired for 10 so I'm a bit behind now...Laser printers in cars? What is wrong with inkjet? I'm sure it would pull a lot less power....;) Sounds like that inverter needs to be very close to the battery with at least 4 gauge. Don't those things shut down at about 11v? Anyway, if I had a nickel for every set of brakes I put on a Crown Vic I'd be filthy rich. I'm sure you know what I mean...Have a good one!
Yep, that's what they get for trusting our IS department. We have now switched to thermal roll paper (POS receipt type) printers. We still have a few of those Crown Vics around for details and backup cars.

2015 Colorado Z71 | Black | CC | SB | 2wd | 3.6 | Bose | Nav | Tow | Factory Spray On Bedliner | LED Bed Lighting | 30" Rigid LED Lightbar | G4 Fold-a-Cover & Caddy | Dash Cam/Rear Cam | Ready Lift 2" Front with Sway Bar Blocks | Auto Spring Add A Leaf | BFG KO2 265/70 17
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 PM

I only have about 400 miles on my 2017 Colorado 3.6L V6, but every time I check the DIC voltage it shows 15.3 volts ! Even after driving it on the interstate for 45 minutes. I have not seen it show less than that.

Anyone else seeing this?

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:14 AM

You had better take it in. Any sustained voltage over 14.3 will boil the battery. It can take a short term voltage over that. Especially if the battery is cold.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
I only have about 400 miles on my 2017 Colorado 3.6L V6, but every time I check the DIC voltage it shows 15.3 volts ! Even after driving it on the interstate for 45 minutes. I have not seen it show less than that.

Anyone else seeing this?
I have seen it as I occasionally check battery voltage. Not abnormal.

Charge Mode
The BCM will enter Charge Mode when ever one of the following conditions are met.

• The wipers are ON for more than 3 seconds.
• GMLAN (Climate Control Voltage Boost Mode Request) is true, as sensed by the HVAC control head. High speed cooling fan, rear defogger and HVAC high speed blower operation can cause the BCM to enter the Charge
Mode.
• The estimated battery temperature is less than 0C (32F).
• Battery State of Charge is less than 80 percent.
• Vehicle speed is greater than 145 km/h (90 mph)
• Current sensor fault exists.
• System voltage was determined to be below 12.56 V
When any one of these conditions is met, the system will set targeted generator output voltage to a charging voltage between 13.9–15.5 V, depending on the battery state of charge and estimated battery temperature.

HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista View Post
I have seen it as I occasionally check battery voltage. Not abnormal.

Charge Mode
The BCM will enter Charge Mode when ever one of the following conditions are met.

The wipers are ON for more than 3 seconds.
GMLAN (Climate Control Voltage Boost Mode Request) is true, as sensed by the HVAC control head. High speed cooling fan, rear defogger and HVAC high speed blower operation can cause the BCM to enter the Charge
Mode.
The estimated battery temperature is less than 0C (32F).
Battery State of Charge is less than 80 percent.
Vehicle speed is greater than 145 km/h (90 mph)
Current sensor fault exists.
System voltage was determined to be below 12.56 V
When any one of these conditions is met, the system will set targeted generator output voltage to a charging voltage between 13.915.5 V, depending on the battery state of charge and estimated battery temperature.

Thanks, yes, I read that. Just wondering about the "Current sensor fault exists" part.

OTOH, I was driving with the wipers and/or blower (medium to low speed) on a lot of the time. I would think 13.9VDC to 14.5VDC would be enough charge voltage. That was what car and trucks in the past would normally charge at. I suppose with all the electronics in the vehicle. But I would think over 15VDC is a bit much and may be stressing things? Interesting the battery does not over charge. Then again, who knows?

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
But I would think over 15VDC is a bit much and may be stressing things? Interesting the battery does not over charge. Then again, who knows?
I just looked under my hood and my 2015 battery appears to be an AGM battery, not a flooded lead acid battery, so the correct bulk charge voltage for such a battery should indeed be greater that 15.0 volts. That's good to know, because I plan on charging my camper battery when driving which will also be an AGM and require 15+.

It's also worth noting that when you engage tow/haul mode it will override the Fuel Economy Mode and give you full power.

Camper/Trailer Battery Charging Concerns
Some customers may comment that when towing or hauling a camper/trailer, the auxiliary battery for the camper/trailer will not stay charged. In most cases, this concern is blamed on the new RVC system. While the RVC system does reduce the generator's targeted output voltage to 12.6-13.1 volts when in "Fuel Economy Mode", this feature is bypassed if the tow/haul feature is enabled. With the tow/haul feature enabled, the RVC system will stay in "Charge Mode" and the targeted generator output voltage will be 13.9-15.5 volts, depending on the battery state of charge and the estimated battery temperature.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, yes, I read that. Just wondering about the "Current sensor fault exists" part.

OTOH, I was driving with the wipers and/or blower (medium to low speed) on a lot of the time. I would think 13.9VDC to 14.5VDC would be enough charge voltage. That was what car and trucks in the past would normally charge at. I suppose with all the electronics in the vehicle. But I would think over 15VDC is a bit much and may be stressing things? Interesting the battery does not over charge. Then again, who knows?
Well remember is has to charge the battery AND run everything in the truck. Also, in my experience it has to do it through wire sizes that are ever so close to being too small. (needs more voltage)

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Well remember is has to charge the battery AND run everything in the truck. Also, in my experience it has to do it through wire sizes that are ever so close to being too small. (needs more voltage)

Ok. . did further checking just to satisfy myself and it is a nice 50F (warmer) day.
I put my trusty Fluke meter directly on the battery posts after a 25 miles round trip with only the radio on low (DRLs off and HVAC fan off).
The DIC voltage finally settled down to about 15.1VDC. Upon parking it in the garage, I left the engine running, popped the hood and checked Battery VDC at the terminals. . . it hovered between 15 to 15.15VDC. I then stopped the engine and measured quiescent voltage which was 12.8VDC at the battery terminals. . about right for a full charge battery.

So, it seems the charging circuit likes to keep relatively 15VDC or so under even light or no load conditions with the engine running. What I do not know is what the charging voltage actually looks like. It likely is not smooth but has a duty cycle wave form. . . . which shows up as an average of 15.1 to 15.3 VDC at the battery terminals.

Whatever. . .. Chevy and GM have it handled the way they want I suppose.

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Ok. . did further checking just to satisfy myself and it is a nice 50F (warmer) day.
I put my trusty Fluke meter directly on the battery posts after a 25 miles round trip with only the radio on low (DRLs off and HVAC fan off).
The DIC voltage finally settled down to about 15.1VDC. Upon parking it in the garage, I left the engine running, popped the hood and checked Battery VDC at the terminals. . . it hovered between 15 to 15.15VDC. I then stopped the engine and measured quiescent voltage which was 12.8VDC at the battery terminals. . about right for a full charge battery.

So, it seems the charging circuit likes to keep relatively 15VDC or so under even light or no load conditions with the engine running. What I do not know is what the charging voltage actually looks like. It likely is not smooth but has a duty cycle wave form. . . . which shows up as an average of 15.1 to 15.3 VDC at the battery terminals.

Whatever. . .. Chevy and GM have it handled the way they want I suppose.
I guess, it does seem kind of high though huh?

post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I guess, it does seem kind of high though huh?

It does seem high to me. That's why I wanted to measure it at the battery terminals and see if maybe the DIC voltage reading was possibly in error and on the high side. But , no, the reading is accurate.
I have checked other vehicles I've owned . .. cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc, and 13.5VDC to 14.5VDC is usually what I see for a running system voltage. Even most battery chargers and maintainers top out maybe at 15VDC or so and do not stay there long unless the battery is failing and can not be charged properly.

When I first checked the DIC voltage ans saw 15.5VDC I was a bit alarmed. Even 15VDC after settling out seems high. I guess I'll wait and see what it looks like as weather gets warmer and on a longer road trip.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
It does seem high to me. That's why I wanted to measure it at the battery terminals and see if maybe the DIC voltage reading was possibly in error and on the high side. But , no, the reading is accurate.
I have checked other vehicles I've owned . .. cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc, and 13.5VDC to 14.5VDC is usually what I see for a running system voltage. Even most battery chargers and maintainers top out maybe at 15VDC or so and do not stay there long unless the battery is failing and can not be charged properly.

When I first checked the DIC voltage ans saw 15.5VDC I was a bit alarmed. Even 15VDC after settling out seems high. I guess I'll wait and see what it looks like as weather gets warmer and on a longer road trip.
Maybe your battery is bad. After "charging" it for 25 miles with nothing on in the truck it seems it would be much lower than 15.1. Did you see that post about an AGM battery? Cheap GM wouldn't put AGMs in our trucks would they? I'm going to watch my voltage out of curiosity now.

post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe your battery is bad. After "charging" it for 25 miles with nothing on in the truck it seems it would be much lower than 15.1. Did you see that post about an AGM battery? Cheap GM wouldn't put AGMs in our trucks would they? I'm going to watch my voltage out of curiosity now.
If you got a diesel it has an AGM and its larger.
JScottM likes this.

16 Crewcab Duramax Allterrain
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 PM

Normal charging voltage for an AGM 12 volt battery is 14.6 to 14.8 MAXIMUM.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:32 PM

In cold ambient temps a battery requires higher charging voltage than normal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode