Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Hypertech Tuner

12K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  White016 
#1 ·
So I recently got a Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 for my colorado. It is one of the best investments I made. Ive been testing with it over the past 2 weeks and have absolutely no complaints about it! The biggest advance I saw while using it was you can change the shift firmness and that does so many miracles to just normal driving around town. Ive seen a 2+ MPG increase in fuel efficiency. It has the ability to change so many parameters and also the gear ratio and tire size to update for the speedometer. Over all a great product and I would recommend it to everyone who gets one of the twins.

#2 ·
I bought one today. I haven't had time to mess with it much so far. I mainly got it to correct the speedometer for my larger tires but you mentioned changing gear ratios. I saw that option but didn't change it. When would you need to change that? I assumed you would only change it if you changed the gear ratio in the rear end. Did you try changing that setting?

#3 ·
You are correct, the only need for changing the gear ratio setting is if you actually changed the gear ratio in the rear end. Otherwise it will mess up the speedometer. It's just like changing your tire size. There's no need to change that unless you actually change the gears.

#5 ·
from their website

Hypertech’s Max Energy 2.0 downloads and saves the stock tuning program, then uploads your customized Power Tuning program. Before taking your vehicle into a dealership for service, always return the vehicle’s computer back to the factory programming. Once you have the vehicle back from the dealership, reinstall the Max Energy 2.0 Power Programming as before. The Max Energy 2.0 can only be used on one (1) vehicle at a time, so if you sell your vehicle or want to use it on a friend’s vehicle, simply return your vehicle to the stock tuning program and you may then use the programmer on another vehicle that is covered in the same part number.

Reactions: Bart Man
#8 ·
when I take my 15 colorado in for service I always remove the program & return to factory settings. Havent had an issue yet, 2 service calls so far.

I even keep my unit in my truck just in case any problems occur, that i have to have it towed to a dealer I can reset to factory on spot.

#9 ·
does this allow you to alter the downshift points? I see it can raise the shift points and adjust firmness, but can it be used to get rid of the typical problems we have with the auto trans?

also what model does the '16 need? their website is a bit vague, and amazon's listing says it does not fit...there may be more than one model, yes?

#10 ·
I find be able to adjust the WOT shift points in drive and top speed to be the biggest performance gain.
As you might have noticed in drive, stock , the trans shifts at different RPM points , to early.
I played with those settings till I got it dialed in to the tee.. Just leave it in Drive and that's it .
Now I came beat my old Tacoma in a stop light drag race.
Made a big difference , Very happy .

Reactions: JMORR15
#11 ·
cool, I am seriously ooking in to getting one. looks like the model we need is a part# 2000.

amazon sells the 2100, but the 2000 has no picture, and has a different description, but comes up in the link. it almost looks like someone is selling a clone and/or scamming the site.

any suggestions on best/cheapest place to order?

#17 ·
Not the answer I was hoping for. At least my low end is some better, but not sure it was worth the $$$ though.

My question:
I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado with the 3.6. I bought the Energy Max 2.0 to remedy the "chuggle and hesitation" that these trucks are known for. I have tried a few different tunes and have managed to improve the city driving, but still have the hesitation at the 50 MPH and up highway speeds. Can you recommend a tune that will smooth out the hesitation and shifting at all driving speeds?

From HyperTech:
There is only two tunes which is our engine tuning for regular and premium octane fuel; both adjust the air/fuel mixture and timing curve to increase power and many see 1-2 mpg better as well. When the premium setting is selected there must be no less than 91 octane fuel in the tank; if not the engine may ping/detonate under acceleration. Both settings remap the electronic throttle to improve drivability which can help with the hesitation issue you mentioned but I doubt it will totally eliminate the issue. The transmission shift point adjustments only affects 80% to WOT (wide open throttle) operation; has no affect on normal part throttle operation. The shift firmness helps prevent clutch pack slippage and allows for a firmer shift. Transmission tolerances vary between vehicles; some shift harder than others and some users prefer a hard shift and some do not; that is the reason for the four levels of shift firmness; it allows you to select which is best for your vehicle and your driving style.

#19 ·
I’m wanting to get the hypertech for my 2017 Chevy Colorado V6. Where do I have to go to get the right one? I go to hypertech and type in my year make and model and I’m not seeing it. Don’t know what to do. I don’t want the trifecta. Can anyone help? Not meaning to hijack the post sorry in advance

#20 ·
I got mine from 4 Wheel Parts. It's possible they don't have one for the 17, mine is a 2016.
I took a quick look at their site, yep, looks like they only have the inline speedo changer for the 17's

Reactions: JMORR15
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.