Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Who has an open differential?

17K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  Esoxchaser 
#1 ·
Just wondering how many people have a 2nd gen with an open diff. I made the mistake of not ordering mine with the G80. I figured I would be fine without it since I will have 4x4 and traction control. It only snows 2 or 3 times a year where I live, I won't be going off road too much and I won't be pulling a trailer.

With all that said I will be upgrading to either a goodyear duratrac or bfg AT ko2. So will I really miss the locking diff?

I don't even have the truck yet, but it is scheduled to be built the first week of April, so it is too late to add any options. Should I just have the dealer install a G80 when truck arrives? Another Idea I had was going more aftermarket with an LSD like a Trutrac, but this would probably void the powertrain warranty?

Switching out the diff on a new truck should be a pretty simple job, right? I feel like If I have to drop 1000$ for the dealer to switch it out it may be a worthwhile investment. However, if its gonna cost me upwards of 2000$ I don't think I can justify it, especially since I could have just paid the 600$ from the factory...

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I do not have the 2nd gen...but info still applies.

For normal use the open differential is fine if you have 4wd. I've been in snow plenty of times with my open diff and it's fine. Accelerating on slippery roads in 2wd, probably not too easy but since you have 4x4, just engage it if necessary and shut it down if you're driving.

I'd prefer to have some type of locking differential in my truck, and if I have the option I will purchase the truck with that option. Considering you have already ordered it and it's all but done, no need to try changing it out now.

I'm not one for asking for a differential rebuild on a brand new vehicle because I wanted the locker after the fact.

Take it for what it's worth.

Oh, and I did have Duratrac tires. Now I do not. Both tires for normal driving have been adequate with an open differential.

#3 ·
Call me the newbie to GMC.....but....the 'locking diff' as they advertise it, isn't what you might think it is. It's nothing more than a limited slip.

A true - LOCKER - literally locks both axles/wheels regardless. THere is no disengaging or engaging automatically.

Sorry...had to clear that up. :). You off-roading peeps would understand.

#6 · (Edited)
I would contact the dealer and see if it can be added to the order. If you had bought a gmc, the g80 comes with the 4wd.

#10 ·
Ya I did contact the dealer and he said its too late to make that change. I ordered a colorado and in order to get the g80 you have to opt for the trailering package, another option I didnt need. I just got a bare bones WT with V6 and 4x4.
I'll just upgrade the tires and hope for the best, I also dont like the idea of the dealer poking around the diff in a brand new truck...

#7 ·
You said you don't off-road much so I think you'll be fine. Just use 4wd when in doubt.

I climbed a pretty steep hill today in 2wd just to see if I could do it and the truck only slipped once when I went across some runoff. Granted I have the G80 but the truck is pretty capable assuming you have good tires.

#8 ·
Like others have said, with 4x4 probably not a big deal to have the open, however I plan on installing a G80 on my 2wd at some point, only because GM doesn't allow it from the factory with the stickshift anymore. Had a truetrac in my 97 Mazda Ranger, which kicked butt for the tires it had.

Plus, way more fun to slide around with, once you're comfortable with it :)

#11 ·
When I ordered my Canyon Duramax the G80 was included by default. Looking at those youtube videos, I'm glad it was..

Reactions: savagebob
#12 · (Edited)
It might take some time, but you could find a totaled Colorado or Canyon and switch out the axles. You could probably find them fairly reasonable especially if you give them your old axle. Just make sure the vehicle had the same engine that you do because of the gearing.

When I bought mine I made sure it had the G80.

#18 · (Edited)
He will only need the rear axle assembly. The front is just an open diff. That will be an easy swap. No setup, just bolt it in.

#22 ·
I don't think anybody is disputing a G80 won't make a factory vehicle a rock crawler.

I've been here long enough to know who's writing in this thread. Some of the terms are being used loosely on purpose. The senior folks here know a locker is a locker. Are there variances in each opinion, well sure there are. Again, a person ordering a new rig today isn't planning to make it a crawler with a factory axle. For practical purposes, the G80 does lock the axle halves together as one, similar to a limited slip when the clutches fully engage. I don't think it is wrong to say the G80 is a locking-type of differential. ARB is of course going to be superior. Open differential, not good for mud or rock climbing.

#24 ·
#27 ·
I think the real question to ask is why is the G80 not standard on 4wd?

Reactions: savagebob
#30 · (Edited)
The G80 is designed for mostly on-road use where a true rear locker would not be advisable for safety reasons. The Z71 option is for the weekend warrior who goes out in the boonies hunting and fishing or to be able to launch a boat on a slippery ramp. They are not designed for serious off-road use, as that would limit who would buy the vehicle.

¨ Optional Equipment (G80 Order Code) on all GM two-wheel and four-wheel drive light trucks and sport utilities.

Benefits

¨ Improved traction differentiates the vehicle relative to other rear wheel and four-wheel drive vehicles on the market.

¨ Maintenance free; requires no lube additives.

¨ Enhanced towing and off-road performance.

¨ Patented carbon friction disc technology enhances performance and durability while reducing warranty claims.

Principles of Operation

¨ Wheel speed difference (left to right) in excess of 100 RPM will cause a flyweight mechanism to open and catch a latching bracket.

¨ The stopped flyweight will trigger a self-energizing clutch system, which results in the cam plate ramping against a side gear.

¨ Ramping increases until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip.

¨ At speeds above 20MPH, the latching bracket swings away from the governor and prevents lockup from occurring.

Technical Specifications

¨ Automatic locking takes place within a fraction of a second, so smoothly that it is unnoticed by the average driver.

¨ Unlocking occurs automatically, once the need for improved traction is gone, and is unnoticeable to the average driver.

¨ Compatible with anti-lock brake systems.

#34 ·
Exactly..... It's a great device for non-off-roading type conditions, normal everyday, etc.

When I was shopping for a Canyon and I first read the 'Locking diff' on the window sticker - I was skeptical and did some research. It wasn't what my expectations of a locker would be.

However.... If you visit a Toyota lot and look at at TRD Off-road truck with the locker. That locker is almost identical to an ARB. It works via a switch and electronically engages.

My last truck had a mechanical LSD (Tacoma TRD Sport) where it utilizes clutch paks to keep the wheels locked together. It operates more via torque levels to engage or disengage.

Canyon/Colorado operate via centrifugal force to engage or disengage.

So - theoretically...the two systems are similar in how they function. One manufacturer calls it a locking diff and the other calls it a Limited slip.

#31 · (Edited)
My understanding is that a true locker is only to be used off road at speed below 5 MPH (although some people are hacking the system at their own risk as it also disables ABS). A good example is my ATV where I can electrically engage front diff lock. Equal traction on both front wheels but steering, forget about it! Rear diff lock will chew up your lawn and wear out tires in no time at all. Hence, why it it is for off road use only.

The beauty of the G80 is that it automatically does all the work for you when the traction is less than ideal such as launching a boat or in adverse weather conditions. It helps you to get moving again without any operator intervention. No buttons to push and resets on its own when slippage is no longer detected hence it is intermittent in operation unlike a dedicated full time locker that is purposely engaged when required.

Any hard core off roader will know this detail and equip his vehicle accordingly as it is a sport all in its own. So, if you have to ask yourself if an open diff is sufficient then the G80 limited slip system would be more than adequate in most situations of every day use.

#32 ·
I am impressed with how heated a simple discussion can become about differential transmissions. However, this tread is/was incredibly informative. I did learn a lot.

This forum constantly amazes me about how much information can be gleaned from threads. I do appreciate the added input from all participants. Just my observations and appreciation of the explanations and input from all who have posted on this topic.

#33 · (Edited)
FYI

There are two types of G80 options depending on vehicle type.

G80 Limited Slip Differential (aka Posi or Posi-traction) which is normally installed in cars, most notably performance cars. Back in the 60's-70's muscle car era the Chevy product name for its limited slip differential was trade-marked Posi-traction.

The only truck in the last 20 or so yrs to use a Limited Slip is the Quadrasteer trucks and that was option coded G86 and some SPID labels show G80 G86 and it was a Dana.

G80 Locking Rear Differential Only used trucks and suv's

People often don't realize this and assume the G80 in trucks is a limited slip like in cars but technically it is not.

#35 ·
FYI

There are two types of G80 options depending on vehicle type.

G80 Limited Slip Differential (aka Posi or Posi-traction) which is normally installed in cars, most notably performance cars. Back in the 60's-70's muscle car era the Chevy product name for its limited slip differential was trade-marked Posi-traction.

The only truck in the last 20 or so yrs to use a Limited Slip is the Quadrasteer trucks and that was option coded G86 and some SPID labels show G80 G86 and it was a Dana.

G80 Locking Rear Differential Only used trucks and suv's
I didn't know the old GM 12 Bolt "Posi's" also used the "G80 code & only realized the Trucks referred to them that way a few years ago. G80 must be GM's generic code for non "open" differential?

I was (and still am) a Hot Rodder & years ago used to make not bad spare cash scouring the junk yards, buying & selling Posi's & front disc brake set-ups for old Chevelles, Cutlass's, 442's, Nova's, Camaros etc.

I just new the cars had the "Good" Posi's (limited slip with springs & clutch packs) & to stay away from the "junk" Truck locker carriers. Not to say they were junk, but the target market I was selling to was Hot Rodder's! Try and find a complete 12 Bolt Posi for a Chevelle or Camaro today & it might set you back $1500 - $2000

However.... If you visit a Toyota lot and look at at TRD Off-road truck with the locker. That locker is almost identical to an ARB. It works via a switch and electronically engages.
Hmmm, I never knew that about the Tacoma, is that option only in the TRD Off-Road version?

#41 ·
Buyer beware. I did a search for a 2015 Colorado and the Lokka website thinks it uses an AAM 8.60 rear diff. lol

#43 ·
Open differential with 4 WD is better the open diff 2X. But in the lake effect snow areas around the Great Lakes, open differential 4x are the ones getting stuck. You would be better off with a G80 2X. Sending power to the wheels with the least traction is a poor plan in the 9" of snow that fell overnight as you try to get to work.................

#44 ·
Hard to follow what you said.....but If you are in 9" of snow - you should be in 4WD and not AUTO 4WD. Auto 4WD is what sends power to the front wheels when it senses loss of traction in the rear.

The G80 would work in any mode as long as the conditions are met and there's enough slippage on one side of the rear axle to engage it.

#45 ·
What I am saying is that a 2 wheel drive with a locker is better in deep snow than a 4x with two open differentials. The 4x with open differentials sends the power to the wheels with the least amount of traction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.