TRIFECTA Cold Air Intake (CAI) for 2015+ GM Mid Size Truck with the V6 LFX Engine - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:33 PM

Garage
I know Trifecta is a well respected company but that is a ram air intake and they are using metal piping. The IATs have to be higher than the stock unit and the filter may flow more than stock but I would be willing to wager that a free flowing filter on the stock unit would provide better gains.

Once this weekend rolls around I will take a look at the setup and see what I can come up with. I guarantee that a homemade alternative can be created for less than $50.00.

Intake tubing should ALWAYS be rubberized or PVC. Cold air is denser air, denser air is more oxygen rich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
I know Trifecta is a well respected company but that is a ram air intake and they are using metal piping. The IATs have to be higher than the stock unit and the filter may flow more than stock but I would be willing to wager that a free flowing filter on the stock unit would provide better gains.

Once this weekend rolls around I will take a look at the setup and see what I can come up with. I guarantee that a homemade alternative can be created for less than $50.00.

Intake tubing should ALWAYS be rubberized or PVC. Cold air is denser air, denser air is more oxygen rich.
Considering GM themselves chose to use a metal tube with heat shield design for their own high flow intake, one might be compelled to think the concern of using a metal inlet pipe is inconsequential with regards to 'heat soak' and other related issues.
UnlimitedMatt likes this.

TRIFECTA Direct Reseller

Colorado / Canyon 3.6L: +31 TQ / 27 HP
Colorado / Canyon 2.5L: +25 TQ / 16HP

Visit http://www.trifectaperformance.com to order your TRIFECTA calibration today or email info@trifectaperformance.com for more information.
Make sure to like us on Facebook:
TRIFECTA PERFORMANCE
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 05:08 PM

Garage
Measure the IATs of the intake compared to a rubber or silicone unit. Also the stock unit has baffles where the high flow units are smoothed creating a much more streamlined airflow which could offset the increase in heat.

I hope you sell a million of them, really I do. I was just stating facts.

GM also put the optispark right below the waterpump on an lt1......
24v likes this.

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:10 PM

Garage
It is worth pointing out that K&N also uses a metal tube and I wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers did also. I could see it being a problem at idle in addition to pulling in the hot engine bay air but once your moving and it is pulling air, you should be out of the woods.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:10 PM

Ok i hate to bring up old news but has ANYONE received there cai... I received an e-mail from Trifecta a long time ago (cant remember when) but asking questions do you still own your truck, would you still like the cai, etc.etc. Replied same day as the e-mail have heard NOTHING have seen NOTHING.... Pretty bummed about there customer service..
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:29 PM

After checking out several and actually buying 2 different types prior to this ,
I am happy with the afe power airbox,, has all the bases covered for performance.
Do your self a favor and look at it .
I had bad customer service from them also when I was inquiring about specifics on their tune ,,no responses.
I did not go with their tune based on that.

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:54 PM

Thanks, I had one of those on the Tacoma i had and was very pleased with it.. As for me i purchased the elite from Trifecta because of the reviews and the CIA they were offering with it at the time but looking back now i truly would do things differently!!
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:09 PM

I have purchased air intake insulation for previous CAIs metal tubes and it really makes a difference in AITs. It's like a silver metallic cloth sleeve.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 170K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Eagerly awaiting 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbait View Post
Ok i hate to bring up old news but has ANYONE received there cai... I received an e-mail from Trifecta a long time ago (cant remember when) but asking questions do you still own your truck, would you still like the cai, etc.etc. Replied same day as the e-mail have heard NOTHING have seen NOTHING.... Pretty bummed about there customer service..
I contacted them 3 weeks ago through their website to ask when mine should ship out. They responded within 2 hours with this response:

The team is finalizing the installation instruction documentation. As soon as that is done, the kits will start to ship. You will be notified once your name makes one of the shipments.

I carry a gun because cops are too heavy...

post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:52 PM

Thanks, i guess more time will tell.........
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:32 PM

Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbait View Post
Thanks, I had one of those on the Tacoma i had and was very pleased with it.. As for me i purchased the elite from Trifecta because of the reviews and the CIA they were offering with it at the time but looking back now i truly would do things differently!!
I completely agree. The inquiry about who was still interested made it seem like they had everything rockin' and rollin' getting them out there but now my interest in this company is petering out. Unless this is their first CAI they have created, modifying something to fit shouldn't take this long.

Air Dam delete
LED Lights/Signals
HID High/Low
RC 1" Level
aFe Momentum GT
MBRP Exhaust
Elite Catch Can
Trifecta Tune
post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:48 PM

Anyone heard anything yet.....
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:53 PM

Garage
Done with Trifecta this is a joke....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BNR likes this.
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:36 PM

Do yourself a favor and check out the afe power airbox.
Auto Anything with their coupon is the best price I found .
I am glad I bought one.

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 04:26 PM

When I had asked Trifecta what compensations would be made for my AFe CAI - their response was that it is already in the Advantage + Tune. They could not provide any information - but their explanation really did not make any sense. Maybe that is why my tune did not perform. I never thought that it may be running too lean and it cannot adjust the parameters for the AFe.
Perhaps when they make adjustments for their CAI - I should try the calibrations for mine to see if it will work.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:14 AM

I would look into the AFE because i know its a good product but the problem for some of us is that we purchased the plus tune because of the CAI that was suppose to come with it. I guess in reality we just paid more for the tune than others. Was thinking of getting a new colorado next year but definitely won't be dealing with trifecta..
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:02 PM

Basically most all good designed CAIs will be close in flow for a motor of our size , remember we can they can only use so much air no matter what they look like they may flow.

post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride200mi View Post
I guess no one has really looked at the stock airbox..?? It is a cold air intake. The intake tube is directed to the fender well, drawing in cold air (which all the other CAI's are doing) from there. I would like to see some dyno numbers with a aftermarket set up!
I suspect that a stock air box with a K&N Filter (P/N 33-5030) would put up equal numbers, and you'll never see actual dyno numbers published.

post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 PM

I agree with that to a point BUT
The 90 elbow piping bend into the TB is very sharp and small inner diameter, I believe that's where it's hurtling the airflow .

post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:09 PM

I also had a KN in Stock airbox ,, a KN open tube filter set up , and I have to say ,,
This afe did feel better in acceleration , minimal but felt , and sounded the best. IMO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode