TRIFECTA Cold Air Intake (CAI) for 2015+ GM Mid Size Truck with the V6 LFX Engine - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspeed View Post
I also had a KN in Stock airbox ,, a KN open tube filter set up , and I have to say ,,
This afe did feel better in acceleration , minimal but felt , and sounded the best. IMO
I have tried numerous CAIs in many different vehicles (with and without a tuner) and each time the AFe provided better results in performance, and in some the increase in noise was also greater with the AFe. Each time, I have put up with the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 03:03 AM

I have the power airbox which is enclosed but also has a plug that can be removed to let more air in thus a little more sound , I know they also have open types like the KN set ups .
My airbox with out the plug in is quieter then the KN open type but still flows more air then the stock engine can use .

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 08:26 AM

I didn't really notice much difference with the plug in versus out on the 3.6L. Mine is the Momentum AFe. It was a little noisier, so I left it in. It is quite noticeable compared to the stock air intake. I will try it both ways again to see if it has any performance gains. John - your exhaust may make your AFe work better and harder for you as well.

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 11:22 AM

I seemed to pull a little bitter harder from 5500 rpm to 7,000rpm with the plug out .
I bought an extra plug and cut it in half,, actually cut out 2 of the quarter areas but left the webbing in for strength.
It felt the same and a bit quieter then plug out .
Really it sounds great ..

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:31 PM

I tried the AFe again with and without the plug. Yes, it may pull a little stronger in the upper RPMs and was louder. At lower RPMs (under 3500), it does not seem to make any difference to me.
I am debating trying the Hypertech Tuner to help gain some power (since the Trifecta does not work on mine).
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:35 PM

I love the Hypertech because I could change my WOT shifting in Automode and it got much better acceleration and MPH quicker ..
You will notice in stock form , in auto , it shifts at WOT at different RPMS in each gear,, to low for performance.
Also with the 87 octane map I have no problems like others said they had with stock running 87 fuel .

post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:27 AM

I run 91 octane in my vehicles - mainly because of poor fuel here in New Brunswick (next to the Irving refinery) and I have programmers in most of them that require the higher octane. Unlike many others - I have no shifting, clunking, or hesitations in my truck unless I install the Trifecta Tune which created the issues. This is my 2nd 2016 Canyon, and the engine seems to be far from a performance engine - but I would expect the right tuner should wake it up.
Mine also shifts at different rpms in different gears at WOT - but with the AFe it does not lag when it shifts up. It has a more smoother curve. At the same time, it doesn't pull hard all the way thru each gear. It should. I am hoping the proper tuner will fix that.
I may try the new ZR2 when available and build on that. I am just not pleased with GMs 8 speed transmissions. We have too many hills for them in Eastern Canada.
I am glad to hear that the Hypertech works. I have had great results with Edge and Bullydog in other vehicles.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:59 AM

The Hypertech has a 93 tume in it, I tryed it once with 93 and it had a smoother acceleration curve.
Maybe you should replace the stock muffler with a more free flow type ,, I believe the 2.75 stock piping is good enough for our size snd output without the drone issue of the 3 inch after market ones .

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:01 PM

I am bumping this thread once again in any kind of hope with the CAI Trifecta stated they were building and including with some of our tunes.
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbait View Post
I am bumping this thread once again in any kind of hope with the CAI Trifecta stated they were building and including with some of our tunes.
Thanks for checking in. We'll have a broader update on the intake status soon, but the short of it is we learned the LGZ engine was coming around the time we made our last announcement.

We believe in offering durable product solutions, and so we decided to test the intake on the LGZ as well. We have the LGZ truck, and the development is ongoing for both intake fitment and calibration.

TRIFECTA Direct Reseller

Colorado / Canyon 3.6L: +31 TQ / 27 HP
Colorado / Canyon 2.5L: +25 TQ / 16HP

Visit http://www.trifectaperformance.com to order your TRIFECTA calibration today or email info@trifectaperformance.com for more information.
Make sure to like us on Facebook:
TRIFECTA PERFORMANCE
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM

So what does that mean for those of us that purchased the elite tune a year or more ago? That we wont receive our intakes untill you figure out if it works on the 2017 and newer ones also....
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:12 PM

Am I the only one who is not happy with Trifecta?????
I bought my Tune Sept 18 2015, and have yet to receive my CAI.......
When talking with them, they have no answer, as to when I might receive it.
It has been over a year and a half....really!!!!
I am very happy with the tune, but come on.
I am holding back how I really feel, as This forum would not be happy.
Trifecta!!!!!looks Like I will have my truck paid off before you get it together......
jlbait likes this.

Timmer
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 PM

Garage
I agree. I last them about it last month and they told me that their development for the revised model will be completed soon, and soon as that is done, they plan to complete the intake dev and testing on it as well to see if any changes are necessary. They didn't want to release a product that would be immediately invalidated by this revised version of the Twins.

But I'm troubled because I assume the cai is different between the 15-16 and the 17's. So does that mean we are out of luck?
jlbait likes this.

I carry a gun because cops are too heavy...

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
Am I the only one who is not happy with Trifecta?????
I bought my Tune Sept 18 2015, and have yet to receive my CAI.......
When talking with them, they have no answer, as to when I might receive it.
It has been over a year and a half....really!!!!
I am very happy with the tune, but come on.
I am holding back how I really feel, as This forum would not be happy.
Trifecta!!!!!looks Like I will have my truck paid off before you get it together......
Same here, and I purchased mine at about the same time. Buyer beware, this is how Trifecta feels about their customers. They don't care as long as they can get your money.
jlbait likes this.
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:15 PM

Garage
BNR FTW ;)

Also, chiming in on the discussion of K&N vs aFe. It appears that in the dyno charts provided by aFe that their system actually loses power at lower RPM, while K&N gains power across the band. Just food for thought, not taking any sides.
DrewNJ likes this.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode