A/C Cutting out? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:53 AM

What level are you guys running your fans at? I know I never even need to run it over half way turned up down here in Mississippi with a black truck and no tint, I wonder if it gets too cold when turned up and it's preventing itself from freezing? I usually have to turn it down to the lowest setting and its still colder than my f150 used to be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 AM

My 2016 Colorado that I just picked up last week is doing this, too. Oddest thing. It blows nice and cold (have the climate control on auto and set to 68 or 69 degrees), but there are these moments when it blows warm, semi-humid air for about 15 seconds. I guess I'll bring it up with the dealer at my first oil change.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briand069 View Post
So I'll add that mine is doing the same thing. 2016 Colorado 400 miles with automatic climate. On my drive to work early in the morning with just the fan on low (no a/c) and temp set at 70, but not in auto, the vent temperature would get warm then cold. It kept doing this no matter where I moved the temperature control. Eventually I shut the fan off and set the temp on Lo and it seemed ok.

On the way home, it was hot so I was using the A/C. At first I just left the temp control around 65, not in auto, and the fan speed about mid way. Again, the temperature would fluctuate really cold and then warm (not hot) air. I then tried putting it in auto with a set temperature around 68. It would hold fine for 5-10 minutes and then the fan would kick up to Hi and the air was no longer cold. Moving the temp control to Lo did not change it at all. If I tuned the fan off and back on it would work for a few minutes and then stop again. Eventually I turned the A/C off for a minute, turned it back on and left the temp on Lo and used the fan speed only to control the inside temperature and it seemed to hold until I got home.

It really feels like a control issue and not the a/c kicking out. I'm gonna play around with it some more to try and replicate the issue because if I take it in and it works nothing will happen.

Brian
I had the same experience yesterday , the first thing I noticed was the smell of the air and the humidity in thr cab went up, then the cab felt warmer. On my 40 min ride home I had to power cycle the AC at least 4 times. Eventually I just gave up on auto and set it to lo. It was 103F out side so the interior would heat pretty quickly once the cold air stopped.

This has been my first annoying problem in 1300miles on the truck. I hope they get a fix soon.

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briand069 View Post
So I'll add that mine is doing the same thing. 2016 Colorado 400 miles with automatic climate. On my drive to work early in the morning with just the fan on low (no a/c) and temp set at 70, but not in auto, the vent temperature would get warm then cold. It kept doing this no matter where I moved the temperature control. Eventually I shut the fan off and set the temp on Lo and it seemed ok.

On the way home, it was hot so I was using the A/C. At first I just left the temp control around 65, not in auto, and the fan speed about mid way. Again, the temperature would fluctuate really cold and then warm (not hot) air. I then tried putting it in auto with a set temperature around 68. It would hold fine for 5-10 minutes and then the fan would kick up to Hi and the air was no longer cold. Moving the temp control to Lo did not change it at all. If I tuned the fan off and back on it would work for a few minutes and then stop again. Eventually I turned the A/C off for a minute, turned it back on and left the temp on Lo and used the fan speed only to control the inside temperature and it seemed to hold until I got home.

It really feels like a control issue and not the a/c kicking out. I'm gonna play around with it some more to try and replicate the issue because if I take it in and it works nothing will happen.

Brian
So I though I would update my post. The next day I turned off the Auto Defrost function and for 2 days the drive to work has been fine. I can leave the temp control anywhere with the fan on low to medium and it just stays there. No fluctuations in temp or fan speed.
The drive home for 2 days was mixed. The first day I set the Auto temp to 68 and during the drive I moved it up and down several degrees and it held just fine. The second day I did the same thing but, about 20 minutes in to the drive the fan kicked up to high and the air warmed up. After a minute it seemed to catch and cooled back off and the fan slowed down. About 10 minutes later the fan speed kicked up again, the air warmed up. I let it go about 3-4 minutes while moving the temp control knob with no change so I finally took it off auto, set it to low and reduced the fan speed. About a minute later the air went cold and it stayed that way till I got home. The biggest difference the second day was the outside temp. My drive started at about 76 deg and when the system went haywire the outside temp was 102. Not sure if that contributes, but the ride home the day before when everything was fine the system worked well.

I'm going to keep playing with it as I don't have time to take it in right now, plus if they can't replicate in the shop nothing will happen.

Brian
mgw5099 likes this.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:20 PM

Garage
Thanks for all the analysis! It will help us all as we try to figure out this annoying issue!

Gilbert, AZ
2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Hybrid
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM

I can verify the same thing Brian. I decided to run the same test on my work commute today. I didn't use auto on my way to work tand didn't have any issues with the temp of the air coming from the vents. I think there is definitely something up with how the software of the auto mode works.

I set my fan speed to medium and temp to 67 and it was fine for the 1 hr commute.

The first couple weeks with the truck I never used auto. And it's only since using auto control that I have ran into these issues it seems.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Update:

Took mine to the dealer again. "they could not reproduce the issue" the guy drove it for 2 days. I drive it off the lot... it does it. WTF!! I'm so frustrated. Maybe they are just dismissing it as normal operation. It doesn't do it in other Chevy vehicles I've been in. (My dads '14 Equinox). I don't have Auto A/C. It's all manual. I set it mid way on fan... alll the way cold on temp... it makes a funny smell like maybe it's freezing up... the AC cuts out and puts out mid temp air ... not really warm... maybe kinda cool... but not cold. I would accept this as normal if all other cars/ trucks did this. But they don't and this is a brand new truck. IMO this is unacceptable. Like one guy suggested... if it's a cycling thing... it's cycling too long in the off position because you're sitting there driving and you all the sudden are like.... what happened to the air? So you think something is wrong... I can stress the point that you know something is wrong because you've never experienced it before. Like a beating heart that suddenly starts skipping. You feel it because it's not what you're used to.

If anyone else finds more information let me know. I called the 1800 Chevy number with the issue and I'm taking it to another dealer. I refuse to accept this as normal operation.

1) also in Florida here... it's hot as F ... when it cuts out the cabin immediately gets much hotter.
2) my pregnant wife get nauseated by the smell of the AC before it cuts out and has to roll the window down. (it still happens whether you roll the window down or not, just in case someone was going to ask.

Thanks everyone. At least I know I'm not the only one.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:33 PM

I had the same problem, dealership had it for a week and couldn't reproduce it. I finally went in and reproduced it within 5 minutes. They ended up replacing the expansion valve and compressor. They said ir was the squash plate inside the compressor. The expansion valve was replaced for good luck I guess. I thought it was the expansion valve the whole time, but while they had it connected to the computer, it showed the compressor at 100% but blowing warm air.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
James Bell likes this.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

So you think the compressor is just having issues? "couldn't reproduce" aka... didn't know what they were doing or didn't want to fix it. Also have you had the issue since they fixed it?
mexica likes this.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:20 AM

Garage
Over the weekend I travelled up north with the family. We were stuck in traffic for a couple of hours. it was 105F which is hot, but not as hot as it can get here. It was absolutely miserable in the cab of the truck. That AC was continually cycling and blowing warm air for far too long. Switching the AC off and back on with a minimal delay would have it blowing cold air again almost immediately. Then, after several minutes back to warm air.

I have taken this truck on long road trips and this hasn't happened to this extreme. The truck was not overheating. However, we were creeping along at very low RPMs, similar to me letting my truck sit in the driveway and watching the compressor cycle. I don't know enough about how the climate control in this truck operates but it seems like maybe the computer is cycling the compressor at low RPMs but doing it for such an extended period things warm up far too much.

Anyone have any insight or opinions on this?

-Curtiss
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxdsrtrat View Post
Over the weekend I travelled up north with the family. We were stuck in traffic for a couple of hours. it was 105F which is hot, but not as hot as it can get here. It was absolutely miserable in the cab of the truck. That AC was continually cycling and blowing warm air for far too long. Switching the AC off and back on with a minimal delay would have it blowing cold air again almost immediately. Then, after several minutes back to warm air.

I have taken this truck on long road trips and this hasn't happened to this extreme. The truck was not overheating. However, we were creeping along at very low RPMs, similar to me letting my truck sit in the driveway and watching the compressor cycle. I don't know enough about how the climate control in this truck operates but it seems like maybe the computer is cycling the compressor at low RPMs but doing it for such an extended period things warm up far too much.

Anyone have any insight or opinions on this?

-Curtiss
Good Morning Curtis,

We are very sorry to hear about your truck's A/C concerns and we apologize for any frustration this has caused. This is far from the experience we want our customers to have and we would like to assist you in any way that we can. If you wouldn't mind, please send us a private message that includes your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and preferred dealership. From here, we will be able to look at things on our end. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Philip J.
GM Customer Service

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bell View Post
So you think the compressor is just having issues? "couldn't reproduce" aka... didn't know what they were doing or didn't want to fix it. Also have you had the issue since they fixed it?
I have not had the issue since the fix. Weird thing about it was they wanted to have it on the computer when it happened and they would just let it sit and idle. Go to a dealer that's willing to work with you and put it on the computer. Put it under some load, around 2000RPM, and it should duplicate pretty quick, if it's the same problem. I was able to duplicate it within a 5 minutes when I went to the dealership.

The test showed the compressor was 100% open but was blowing warm air. The tech foreman said that indicated a bad compressor. I asked them from the beginning to replace the expansion valve to see if that was the problem, and a cheap fix, but they wanted to wait and see what else it could be. I hope someone works on this for you. By the way, I did have to complain to GM to get things rolling.

It took 3 total visits, with the third finally fixing the problem. First time, they said everything was normal. Second time, it was overcharged with refrigerant, which they either added on the first visit, or never actually checked it on the first visit. Then third time with the help of GM they kept it a week. They're a good dealership, I just think their new generation of techs just do what the computer say. Once we got GM and the Foreman involved, I could tell someone was actually working on it.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:28 PM

Garage
Brought my truck in today and the dealership couldn't find anything wrong. I stopped for lunch on the way home. On the way from the restaurant to my house it did it again. I believe that the system is mechanically working properly because it does blow ice cold most of the time. Just can't figure out what is making it cycle off for such an extended period of time when set on the lowest setting.

-Curtiss
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

What's this hose clamp on the door I've heard about? Anyone know?
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
What's this hose clamp on the door I've heard about? Anyone know?
There is a TSB that indicates that the hot/cold blend door arm which the actuator inserts into may crack (more likely will crack because it's incorrectly manufactured). If there is 1 minor crack they can fix the problem with a small hose clamp which reinforces the weak component. This is easily done from the drivers side by removing the actuator. If the arm is cracked in more than one place it must be replaced which means tearing out the entire dash which can take a couple of days.

My dealership was happy to check and they installed the hose clamp to prevent a future problem. You can have your service advisor search for "Poor heater performance" to find the TSB.

-Curtiss
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 06:36 PM

Garage
ok wife and son asked me to post
2016 Z71 CC approx. 1200 miles

on ours it seems to happen when at a stop light. System on auto temp 72 and it starts blowing hot air
take it off auto and EVENTUALLY it begins to cool. Once underway in either auto or manual it seems fine.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:26 AM

Garage
This happens occasionally with me but it never lasts for more than a minute or so then normal cooling resumes. It usually only happens within the first 5-10 minutes of the trip and doesn't repeat itself on long trips. I do get the smell but that is only momentary as well and stops after a minute or so. It has the feel of a software problem with the auto climate control to me. My impressions are that the Auto climate control system in these trucks leaves something to be desired. It does work but seems to have trouble pulling off all the things they are trying to control. The auto defog system tries to control cabin humidity as part of that function which makes sense. I have always thought the temporary rush of warm humid air was part the systems attempt to control cabin humidity. It just seems to be very clumsy at it. That said I don't live in an area that gets 100+ temps so the events may be more extreme under those conditions. I know that I do notice it more frequently when we get in the 90+ temps.

2016 GMC Canyon EC All Terrain V6

Last edited by mdusen1216; 10-05-2016 at 08:31 AM. Reason: had another thought.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdusen1216 View Post
This happens occasionally with me but it never lasts for more than a minute or so then normal cooling resumes. It usually only happens within the first 5-10 minutes of the trip and doesn't repeat itself on long trips. I do get the smell but that is only momentary as well and stops after a minute or so. It has the feel of a software problem with the auto climate control to me. My impressions are that the Auto climate control system in these trucks leaves something to be desired. It does work but seems to have trouble pulling off all the things they are trying to control. The auto defog system tries to control cabin humidity as part of that function which makes sense. I have always thought the temporary rush of warm humid air was part the systems attempt to control cabin humidity. It just seems to be very clumsy at it. That said I don't live in an area that gets 100+ temps so the events may be more extreme under those conditions. I know that I do notice it more frequently when we get in the 90+ temps.
So yeah you are describing my conditions but mine doesn't have auto. So I'm thinking it's more of an A/C component than a software thing.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexica View Post
I have not had the issue since the fix. Weird thing about it was they wanted to have it on the computer when it happened and they would just let it sit and idle. Go to a dealer that's willing to work with you and put it on the computer. Put it under some load, around 2000RPM, and it should duplicate pretty quick, if it's the same problem. I was able to duplicate it within a 5 minutes when I went to the dealership.

The test showed the compressor was 100% open but was blowing warm air. The tech foreman said that indicated a bad compressor. I asked them from the beginning to replace the expansion valve to see if that was the problem, and a cheap fix, but they wanted to wait and see what else it could be. I hope someone works on this for you. By the way, I did have to complain to GM to get things rolling.

It took 3 total visits, with the third finally fixing the problem. First time, they said everything was normal. Second time, it was overcharged with refrigerant, which they either added on the first visit, or never actually checked it on the first visit. Then third time with the help of GM they kept it a week. They're a good dealership, I just think their new generation of techs just do what the computer say. Once we got GM and the Foreman involved, I could tell someone was actually working on it.
I fear I'm going to have to do this once it starts getting hot again. I've taken it in twice and they ran half a tank of gas out of my car (I agreed to let them drive it for a day it didn't' realize they wouldn't' put gas back in it. ALSO I had to fill up the "loaner" truck they gave me... I lost money on this deal) just so they could tell me nothing was wrong... I get in my car ... at the dealership, start the it up... BAM! within 2 minutes it's doing it... I just said F it and left... was SO pissed.
mexica likes this.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I fear I'm going to have to do this once it starts getting hot again. I've taken it in twice and they ran half a tank of gas out of my car (I agreed to let them drive it for a day it didn't' realize they wouldn't' put gas back in it. ALSO I had to fill up the "loaner" truck they gave me... I lost money on this deal) just so they could tell me nothing was wrong... I get in my car ... at the dealership, start the it up... BAM! within 2 minutes it's doing it... I just said F it and left... was SO pissed.
It's nuts...because I'd imagine they make money to fix it. Call gm, they worked pretty hard once gm called them. Both the head service guy and the foreman were on it. I'd volunteer to recreate the problem for them when it's on the computer though.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode