A Governor, Really? - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:36 PM

L
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriderjf87 View Post
More than anything, I'm just curious how the salesman responded to going 100 on the test drive. Yours must be pretty chill.
The salesman owns and sells a lot of ZO6 Vettes...
LOL.. :)

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 PM

Sometimes limiters are in place due to fear of component failure. '11-'14 V6 mustangs were capped at 120 mph and some owners experienced driveshaft failures north of 130 mph. You can certainly have the limiter removed using a tune.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:57 PM

Yeah I would imagine the combination of a high center of gravity and big, high profile tires spinning at very fast speeds are the reason. I'm pretty sure every modern truck has a limiter. I think my F150 was 98 mph or something which it could hit no problem. I have it set to 120 now with the tune. when you have 80 mph speed limits its not uncommon to have people going 90 or faster.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD - GDE Hot Tune, GDE Trans Tune, 3" Lift, ARB Bull Bar, 31" Wrangler Duratracs

2014 F150 Lariat EcoBoost Screw - Unleashed Tune, Catch Can, 33" Duratracs

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:08 PM

I guess some of you all don't read the all the posts, or don't believe a factual answer. As stated previously, the top speed for our trucks is limited to slightly under the sustained speed rating of the OEM tires, period, end of statement. Nothing to do with center of gravity, big tires, or component failure (except the OEM tires).
Aerome likes this.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!

Last edited by Chief2016; 05-31-2016 at 11:12 PM.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post
Ha, people in the Jag community were stressing about factory limiters being set at like 135mph even though the XF Supercharged / XFR were easily capable of 180mph+ I never understood why then either.
Yeah that is odd heck my Saturn Sky Redline is limited at about 145 i figured a Jag would be set higher than a Saturn haha
WRXtranceformed likes this.
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 12:14 AM

Man my sales guy was egging me on to put the pedal to the floor lol. I have had mine to about 85 and didn't like the hood flutter so that's about my tops for the truck. I'm over my need for speed these days. I took my imported type r Integra to about 145 when I was 19 and had nightmares haha.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
I guess some of you all don't read the all the posts, or don't believe a factual answer. As stated previously, the top speed for our trucks is limited to slightly under the sustained speed rating of the OEM tires, period, end of statement. Nothing to do with center of gravity, big tires, or component failure (except the OEM tires).
I was implying that the big high profile tires are not meant to go fast hence the low limiter.

Plus a higher rated tire doesn't mean they would have increased the limiter. The stock 275/55r20s on my f150 were rated for 130mph but it still had a limiter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD - GDE Hot Tune, GDE Trans Tune, 3" Lift, ARB Bull Bar, 31" Wrangler Duratracs

2014 F150 Lariat EcoBoost Screw - Unleashed Tune, Catch Can, 33" Duratracs

Last edited by mass-hole; 06-01-2016 at 01:56 AM.
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 AM

This is one of the threads that has gone awry, to a degree.
For days we've asked members to stop arguing. And to stay on topic, at lest somewhat. If you haven't taken it seriously you will now find your off topic and/or demeaning posts (in any thread) are simply deleted.

If your post has been deleted please don't feel compelled to repost the same derogatory comments or fuel the arguments.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:40 PM

Last time I sustained 100 MPH for about 5 to 10 minutes it was at the Autobahn and had to slowdown because of traffic. Yes, even the Autobahn gets crowded. Here in the states, as much as I will love to go that fast, there are way too many idiots on the road. Usually take 8~9 over, tops, of any speed limit on long trips; of course, depending of conditions.
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspeed View Post

The salesman owns and sells a lot of ZO6 Vettes...
Wealthier and more leniant than your common car salesman, which is why I asked...

2015 Colorado WT - 2.5L / 6-spd
1981 Camaro Z-28 - 377 / 4-spd, FiTech EFI
1972 Yamaha CT2 - 175cc 2-stroke

Last edited by redriderjf87; 06-01-2016 at 08:25 PM.
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 09:00 PM

The salesman is a risk taker; anything for a sale !
post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
You've gotta tone it back a little bit.
I'm having a hard time finding where you have contributed much lately. Most of what you have written is indicative of you having a bad day, but it's lasted for a few days.
Lets give it another chance and see if ya can write up something constructive. I'm looking forward to your contributions.

I don't know man, if you want a fast car, get a CAR, don't get a truck that is more prone roll, takes a while to get it to stop and can't evade like a car at that speed.

This vehicle isn't meant for speed, yes everybody can go fast in a straight line, doesn't mean you should. Share the road goes both ways
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateado View Post
The salesman is a risk taker; anything for a sale !
I wish the salespeople around here shared that mentality :)

2015 Colorado WT - 2.5L / 6-spd
1981 Camaro Z-28 - 377 / 4-spd, FiTech EFI
1972 Yamaha CT2 - 175cc 2-stroke
post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 09:18 AM

Garage
In the year I've been driving the truck, I hit the limit once. I'm not 16, and I wasn't racing. I was passing a long convoy of vehicles following bumper to bumper, and they were doing 20 under the limit. Problem was, it was fairly busy and difficult to get around them.

I know what you're thinking "Calm down, dude" "Just follow them, pass when they pull off" or "There had to be a passing lane coming eventually".

While all that is true, I was on a 14 hour drive and if that was the attitude I took with every slower driver, it would have easily been a 18 hour drive.

So while passing, I hit the limiter, the engine immediately stopped accelerating and I was forced to see my life flash before my eyes as an oncoming vehicle appeared. Thankfully I was able to get around the convoy with seconds to spare.

In short, curse rev limiters.
Aerome likes this.
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 08:01 PM

MPH Limiter

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriderjf87 View Post
More than anything, I'm just curious how the salesman responded to going 100 on the test drive. Yours must be pretty chill.
When I looked over I saw he was a bit nervous but playing it cool and I started slowing down. He asked me how many times I'm up there and I told him regularly. I should have been a bit more considerate but no harm no foul. The truck got up there quickly and we had plenty of road left. I wanted to see it go higher but such is life.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I have a fast car and don't think 100 is overly fast. When you cruise at 75mph speed limits it isn't as scary as you might think. But don't get the wrong impression, it was a test drive and I wanted to test it. I have a car to do 140+ when it tickles my fancy.
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateado View Post
I had a S10 that cut off at 97. Did not bothered me, very seldom went over 75 mph. If you know of a public road that you can do 100 MPH without hassle let me kniw.
Almost anywhere in North Texas.
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBossBlue View Post
Give me 1, good legitimate reason to need the limiter removed and I will tell you how. Like really over 100mph on city streets, what are you 16?
Who said it was on the city streets, Carnack? I'm not sure a 16 year old would be able to handle 100. Do you?

No brain surgery there, but thanks for the offer. When I feel the need to jump it, I will.
DiNoto likes this.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNoto View Post
Anyone remember this? CarMax salesman killed when Corvette crashes in test drive; driver arrested - LA Times

Asking the OP if he is 16 is pretty restrained. He is lucky he didn't get arrested or get the snot beat out of him by the salesman. A test drive is not permission to put someone's life in danger.
So, going 100 puts your life in danger? Maybe they should set the govs to 60 for some. Not sure about getting arrested or the snot getting knocked out of me for such an action. What may seem daredevilish to you may just be status quo to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode