A Governor, Really? - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed View Post
Ha, people in the Jag community were stressing about factory limiters being set at like 135mph even though the XF Supercharged / XFR were easily capable of 180mph+ I never understood why then either.

A tune can easily change or remove the speed limiter. I wouldn't want to be going faster than 90 in a truck anyway. Even though 130-180+ is extremely foolish and dangerous on a public road, it's not as much so on a track (which some people did with those cars) and that car was built to handle stopping at those speeds.
My Jag cousins do get a bit scuffed when they can't let the car breathe. Why is everyone assuming this was on the city streets? If you could get the thing up to 100 on a city street there would be no complaints!

Last edited by Aerome; 06-16-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateado View Post
Last time I sustained 100 MPH for about 5 to 10 minutes it was at the Autobahn and had to slowdown because of traffic. Yes, even the Autobahn gets crowded. Here in the states, as much as I will love to go that fast, there are way too many idiots on the road. Usually take 8~9 over, tops, of any speed limit on long trips; of course, depending of conditions.
Drove the Autobahn last October. As fast as I thought I was, I was getting passed like a bluehead in Florida. It's all what you're accustomed to do.
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerome View Post
Almost anywhere in North Texas.
And Wyoming, Utah and Montana. The speed limits are 80mph there so it's not uncommon to see people with their cruise control set to 90 mph. I don't cause my F150's and Liberty's mpg's plummet once you get above 75 but if I had a nice aerodynamic car I would absolutely go that fast.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD - GDE Hot Tune, GDE Trans Tune, 3" Lift, ARB Bull Bar, 31" Wrangler Duratracs

2014 F150 Lariat EcoBoost Screw - Unleashed Tune, Catch Can, 33" Duratracs

post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
So, going 100 puts your life in danger? Maybe they should set the govs to 60 for some. Not sure about getting arrested or the snot getting knocked out of me for such an action. What may seem daredevilish to you may just be status quo to others.
That's why people die on public roads!
Blacrose likes this.

'16 Z71 EC
GMPP Exhaust - K&N (Stock CAI) - Hypertech 89 Octane Tune
Hellwig Anti Sway Bar - Rear

Morimoto HID conversion 5500K
Morimoto LED Projector Fog Lights 5500K
GM Color Matched Grille
AVS VentShades
Colorado badges removed
Black Bow Ties

Red LED Dome lights
Canyon (soft) black center arm rest
Canyon Dark Bronze Aluminum Radio Bezel
Browneye's Rear Seat Shelf

Bed Rug & Tailgate Mats

More to come!
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBossBlue View Post
Give me 1, good legitimate reason to need the limiter removed and I will tell you how. Like really over 100mph on city streets, what are you 16?
Well, I can think of plenty of possibilities -
  • Maybe he's a surgeon who sometime has to make an emergency response to the hospital.
  • Maybe he's an armed forces service member who gets emergency recalls to base.
  • Maybe he's a volunteer firefighter.
  • Maybe he's a police officer without an issued car who is subject to emergency callout.
  • Maybe he just lives somewhere with poor or delayed ambulance service and he knows that in a life threatening emergency the fastest way to get to a trauma center may be to self evac.
  • And on, and on, and on.....
My point is that there are highways where I live with speed limits up to 85 MPH. And depending on road, weather, traffic, and other factors that I have no way of knowing there may be entirely legitimate reasons for someone to exceed the speed limit and 101 MPH may not be unsafe.

Now, just like most of us, when I'm sitting on the highway stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and I see someone zipping along the shoulder my first thought is that they're a jackwagon. But I have to remind myself that I don't know everything, and it's just possible that they have some emergency that makes their actions reasonable.
garymikey1982 and WPG like this.

Brownstone Colorado CC SB Z71 4WD with trailering, spray in liner, splash guards, and tie down rings. Added Homelink, LED interior lights, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, and Blue Ox base plate.
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Well, I can think of plenty of possibilities -
  • Maybe he's a surgeon who sometime has to make an emergency response to the hospital.
  • Maybe he's an armed forces service member who gets emergency recalls to base.
  • Maybe he's a volunteer firefighter.
  • Maybe he's a police officer without an issued car who is subject to emergency callout.
  • Maybe he just lives somewhere with poor or delayed ambulance service and he knows that in a life threatening emergency the fastest way to get to a trauma center may be to self evac.
  • And on, and on, and on.....
My point is that there are highways where I live with speed limits up to 85 MPH. And depending on road, weather, traffic, and other factors that I have no way of knowing there may be entirely legitimate reasons for someone to exceed the speed limit and 101 MPH may not be unsafe.

Now, just like most of us, when I'm sitting on the highway stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and I see someone zipping along the shoulder my first thought is that they're a jackwagon. But I have to remind myself that I don't know everything, and it's just possible that they have some emergency that makes their actions reasonable.
I don't buy any of those responses.
[*]Maybe he's a surgeon who sometime has to make an emergency response to the hospital.So on his way to the hospital he can kill himself or others for driving at excessive speed.[*]Maybe he's an armed forces service member who gets emergency recalls to base. So on his way to the military base (no emergency that important that 10-20 mph faster would help) he can kill himself or others for driving at excessive speed.[*]Maybe he's a volunteer firefighter. So on his way to the fire hall he can kill himself or others for driving at excessive speed. Intern requiring himself needing the help[*]Maybe he's a police officer without an issued car who is subject to emergency callout. Police officers if it was a need of the job would already have this removed.[*]Maybe he just lives somewhere with poor or delayed ambulance service and he knows that in a life threatening emergency the fastest way to get to a trauma center may be to self evac. So on his way to the hospital he can kill himself or others for driving at excessive speed.

Its not the speed itself that is the problem. In fact the accidents happen because not EVERY is skilled the same at driving or driving the same speed. US Roads are not engineered for cars doing 100mp/h nor are the other drivers. A slow driver is as bad as a fast driver. Hence many of the states having minimum speeds in addition to maximum speeds.
kaiser67, Blacrose and MTShipp like this.
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 AM

Emergency service crews also have speed limits to abide by. Different limits than the posted speeds and I think it's when running code3 only (I don't recall).
Blacrose likes this.
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:42 AM

I think what a lot of people are missing too is EVERYBODY else around, not the driver themselves.

As a speeding driver zooming by vehicles at high rates of speed, it's unusual to the surrounding drivers and they cannot process quickly enough.
I'm an average driver peeking into my left mirror (or over my left shoulder if I don't know how to use a mirror)...coast is clear. Suddenly by the time I maneuvered the speeding vehicle has approached in half of the time suspected.

The point; I estimated the time for the vehicle would take to make it to me and I had plenty of time. In my mirror at a 1 second glance I could not tell the vehicle was traveling nearly 2x the expected speed.

When I am on my motorcycle driving faster than the posted speed I know I am in control (until I hit a hole or rock or oil, etc....) however I am more confident in saying the vehicle around me haven't properly evaluated my approach speed. One reason, I initiated the faster speed and have therefore prepared my mental status for the heightened awareness. Other surrounding vehicles just want to get to the soccer game as they have done day in and day out.
kaiser67 and Blacrose like this.
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:06 AM

Completely agree that there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why anyone in a Colorado would need to go over 100.
Even emergency personnel have to keep a reasonable speed, remember the crash in Florida a couple weeks ago by the cop going way too fast through the intersection?

Going over 100 on a public street isn't only dangerous to the driver or passengers but more importantly, everyone else on the road. Like 08Canyon said, the general public has a limited idea how to drive in normal condition, add someone driving like that and it's a recipe for disaster. If you're not on public streets, and say a track, where you could legally exceed that speed, why would you want to be doing it in a Colorado? Get a fast car...
Blacrose likes this.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

There are holes in any and all reasons but that is not what was originally posted. Matter of fact, it was answered quite quickly referring to the tire rating. Good enough reason for me, I'm not venturing up there again unless I have to.

Now, would it occur to anyone that sometimes someone may just want to go fast? Can anyone here specifically say anything about another's qualifications, training, experience or thought abilities? Don't kill the messenger guys, and never think he couldn't easily do what you wouldn't even try. I won't jump out of a perfectly good airplane but plenty of people do it, plenty of people die and plenty more are injured. So what?
post #51 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:39 AM
WPG

Garage
I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess there are a lot of you that camp out in the left lane to "control traffic" as if it is your job to make everyone go the speed you think is appropriate. Everyone uses this truck in a 100 different ways or a million different locations. Why is everyone so bent on what they think is the right solution for the whole world. If the guy simply asked if the limiter could be changed answer the question, if not keep the nanny mindset to yourself. You have no idea what he uses his truck for, he could be on street outlaws for all you know racing dung beetle on a cop supervised city sanctioned closed road. I personally think 100 MPH is no different than 70 MPH,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPS.jpg (158.0 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by WPG; 06-17-2016 at 12:05 PM.
post #52 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG View Post
I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess there are a lot of you that camp out in the left lane to "control traffic" as if it is your job to make everyone go the speed you think is appropriate. Everyone uses this truck in a 100 different ways or a million different locations. Why is everyone so bent on what they think is the right solution for the whole world. If the guy simply asked if the limiter could be changed answer the question, if not keep the nanny mindset to yourself. You have no idea what he uses his truck for, he could be on street outlaws for all you know racing dung beetle on a cop supervised city sanctioned closed road. I personally think 100 is no different than 70,
Here in Texas it's a known fact that driving in the right lane causes cancer.

If I owe you 100 bucks can I just pay you back 70?
post #53 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 12:06 PM
WPG

Garage
Quote:
Here in Texas it's a known fact that driving in the right lane causes cancer.

If I owe you 100 bucks can I just pay you back 70?
huh no, LOL But I cleared that up with a edit.
post #54 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 12:11 PM
WPG

Garage
But I can see the problem, MS does have the fastest street car in the Nation. So if you cant beat them sanction them.
post #55 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
Emergency service crews also have speed limits to abide by. Different limits than the posted speeds and I think it's when running code3 only (I don't recall).
I can't comment on any state other than Texas, but under Texas law you are misinformed.

Brownstone Colorado CC SB Z71 4WD with trailering, spray in liner, splash guards, and tie down rings. Added Homelink, LED interior lights, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite, and Blue Ox base plate.
post #56 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBossBlue View Post
[*]Maybe he's a police officer without an issued car who is subject to emergency callout. Police officers if it was a need of the job would already have this removed.
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

post #57 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
I can't comment on any state other than Texas, but under Texas law you are misinformed.
I am not misinformed since I do not live in Texas.
post #58 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess there are a lot of you that camp out in the left lane to "control traffic" as if it is your job to make everyone go the speed you think is appropriate ... I personally think 100 MPH is no different than 70 MPH,
It is possible to think 100 mph is fast enough for a tall pickup without being labeled as a left lane blocker. I know that doesn't apply to me at least. I do think that 100 mph is different than 70 mph though.

2015 Colorado WT - 2.5L / 6-spd
1981 Camaro Z-28 - 377 / 4-spd, FiTech EFI
1972 Yamaha CT2 - 175cc 2-stroke
post #59 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:04 AM

A Governor, Really?

Quote:
I personally think 100 MPH is no different than 70 MPH,
You can think that personally.
But basic physics are in absolute disagreement with your personal assessment.
With the same mass, an object doing 100 hits with a little more than double the Force than does the same object going 70.

'16 Z71 CC/SB Minimax. Brownstone. 5" SS boards, Quad fold tonneau, Wheel well flares. Spray in liner, swing out tool boxes, Bose & Nav. Weathertech vent shades, floor liners and mud flaps.
post #60 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoxchaser View Post
You can think that personally.
But basic physics are in absolute disagreement with your personal assessment.
With the same mass, an object doing 100 hits with a little more than double the Force than does the same object going 70.
Not to mention stopping distances are nearly doubled from 100mph vs. 70mph: Vehicle Stopping Distance And Time

Our trucks seem to have fairly beefy brakes but they are not big brake kits by any stretch of the imagination, our OEM tires are not sticky performance rubber and our trucks are really heavy. I would imagine the gap in stopping distance between 70 and 100mph is MUCH larger for us.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab Short Box
Evolution Auto Salon 35W HID retrofit / Morimoto LED Foglights / Elite E2 Catch Can / Vehicle-wide LED Retrofits
2012 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Past: 2010 Jaguar XFR / 2008 Cadillac CTS / 2007 Acura TL-S / 1966 5.0 HO Mustang Coupe
2001 Lexus IS300 / 2004 2.8L big turbo WRX STI / 2004 Subaru WRX / A couple of old trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode