A Governor, Really? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

A Governor, Really?

Picked up my Canyon a few days ago, love it. On the test ride I noted that it doesn't let you drive faster than 100 mph. Salesguy said they all have limiters. Who has a friend that has gotten around that? I know nothing about tuning and flashing or whatever else is done to the computers. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 06:59 PM

You have a brave salesman.

And yes, really.

You can look into the tuner people to find out how to disable. However, since it's probably not technically 'legal', you will need to do your own research as the forum does not allow instructions on how to actually disable it. People can tell you who the tuners are, but where is the self gratification in learning something new?

Your tuner person, on the other hand will do it, if that is something they are able to do.
A few quick searches and I'm confident you can find a few tuner establishments.
Ben F and Aerome like this.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:08 PM

A Governor, Really?

Yes, a governor. And it's set so that you can't exceed the speed rating for the OEM tires. So before you bypass it and get giddy (or dead) buy tires rated for at least your projected top speed.

'16 Z71 CC/SB Minimax. Brownstone. 5" SS boards, Quad fold tonneau, Wheel well flares. Spray in liner, swing out tool boxes, Bose & Nav. Weathertech vent shades, floor liners and mud flaps.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:12 PM

I had a S10 that cut off at 97. Did not bothered me, very seldom went over 75 mph. If you know of a public road that you can do 100 MPH without hassle let me kniw.
TrailBossBlue likes this.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerome View Post
Picked up my Canyon a few days ago, love it. On the test ride I noted that it doesn't let you drive faster than 100 mph. Salesguy said they all have limiters. Who has a friend that has gotten around that? I know nothing about tuning and flashing or whatever else is done to the computers. Thanks.
Give me 1, good legitimate reason to need the limiter removed and I will tell you how. Like really over 100mph on city streets, what are you 16?
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBossBlue View Post
Give me 1, good legitimate reason to need the limiter removed and I will tell you how. Like really over 100mph on city streets, what are you 16?
You've gotta tone it back a little bit.
I'm having a hard time finding where you have contributed much lately. Most of what you have written is indicative of you having a bad day, but it's lasted for a few days.
Lets give it another chance and see if ya can write up something constructive. I'm looking forward to your contributions.
Ghost_Canyon and Harleydiesel like this.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 07:54 PM

Garage
Really

100 mph in a truck, good luck. That will stop, your decision or his but it will not go on forever.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
I'm having a hard time finding where you have contributed much lately. Most of what you have written is indicative of you having a bad day, but it's lasted for a few days.
Lets give it another chance and see if ya can write up something constructive. I'm looking forward to your contributions.
How about you stop nagging. I have hard time finding where you have ever posted ANYTHING of value EVER. Did someone give you the forum badge, and you thought it was a FBI shield?
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:20 PM

Pass the popcorn please :)
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Anyone remember this? CarMax salesman killed when Corvette crashes in test drive; driver arrested - LA Times

Asking the OP if he is 16 is pretty restrained. He is lucky he didn't get arrested or get the snot beat out of him by the salesman. A test drive is not permission to put someone's life in danger.

‘16 Colorado LT CC LB Duramax - Brownstone, Bose, Luxury Pkg, Safety Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Trailering Pkg/Locking rear diff, Wheel flares, BORA 1.5" wheel spacers, Iron Cross Patriot Running Boards, Line-X. Planned mods: Zone 1.25" level. SOLD: '15 Colorado LT V6. Threw kitty litter on that turd....... and dumped it!
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoxchaser View Post
Yes, a governor. And it's set so that you can't exceed the speed rating for the OEM tires. So before you bypass it and get giddy (or dead) buy tires rated for at least your projected top speed.
Ah, good advice. I guess I've been running on the Z's for too long. Thanks for the info. 08!
Esoxchaser likes this.
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 11:33 PM

It is 98mph on my Colorado.
I bought a Hypertech Tuner and bumped it up to the factory tire rating speed , 118mph, along with moving the transmission shift points higher. .I am very happy now with improved performance.

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:02 AM

More than anything, I'm just curious how the salesman responded to going 100 on the test drive. Yours must be pretty chill.

2015 Colorado WT - 2.5L / 6-spd
1981 Camaro Z-28 - 377 / 4-spd, FiTech EFI
1972 Yamaha CT2 - 175cc 2-stroke
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 06:49 AM

I also have the Hypertech tune. I changed my top speed limiter to match the speed rating of the factory tires, 118 MPH. I once had a 96 Sierra with Hypertech tune. Speed limiter set to 130 MPH. I hit 130 often on xway when no traffic around.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 AM
vw1

Garage
He didn't say he had the salesman in the truck did he? My salesman gave me the keys and said have fun. Didn't care how long I was gone or what I did. I definitely appreciated that. It helped sell the truck to me, versus a quick drive around the block with the salesman. I drove through a very wide range of conditions and purposely tried to recreate some of the poor shifting that I had read about (without any success). I was able to play much more with the controls, I stopped and looked everything over much more, inside and out, just much more relaxed without someone watching over your shoulder. But...I didn't hit 100mph! Maybe if I was near the salt flats in Vegas. I've hit 90mph in the truck since I've had it and it feels faster than 100+ does in cars better suited to high speeds.

2016 Chevy Colorado Ext. Cab Z71 4x4 Red Hot
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBossBlue View Post
How about you stop nagging. I have hard time finding where you have ever posted ANYTHING of value EVER. Did someone give you the forum badge, and you thought it was a FBI shield?

post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:03 PM

Ha, people in the Jag community were stressing about factory limiters being set at like 135mph even though the XF Supercharged / XFR were easily capable of 180mph+ I never understood why then either.

A tune can easily change or remove the speed limiter. I wouldn't want to be going faster than 90 in a truck anyway. Even though 130-180+ is extremely foolish and dangerous on a public road, it's not as much so on a track (which some people did with those cars) and that car was built to handle stopping at those speeds.

2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain Crew Cab Short Box
Evolution Auto Salon 35W HID retrofit / Morimoto LED Foglights / Elite E2 Catch Can / Vehicle-wide LED Retrofits
2012 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Past: 2010 Jaguar XFR / 2008 Cadillac CTS / 2007 Acura TL-S / 1966 5.0 HO Mustang Coupe
2001 Lexus IS300 / 2004 2.8L big turbo WRX STI / 2004 Subaru WRX / A couple of old trucks
post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:27 PM

Garage

Brick, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that. You should find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you’re probably wanted for murder.
post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:30 PM

Garage
The only reason I would need to go faster than 100 is passing. We have some freeway speeds in AZ at 75. So by the time you reach speed to get around, I'm at 100. So..... You really have to plan out your passing.
Aerome likes this.
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 PM

Its always to have that extra just in case , like once I was side swipped on Highway in which the guy took off and had to catch up to him because he speed away.
Also since I am a Fireman, I saw it am going to a fire if pulled over .LOL.
Aerome likes this.

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode